My version of Outlaw's Single Light, Flood & Drain system

Earlier this year, while surfing the the threads at OverGrow, I find :One plant one light, been using this tech for almost 10 years
I did build and run some bubblers, or tububblers if you will when I first got started. It was part of New Ganja Boy’s stealth box set up. I did enjoy it, and then much later on, I read about Krusty Buckets, I got the vapors for it and built a Krusty Freedom Bucket system, run that for a couple of years.
Then after that I ran all types of mediums, in buckets, planters, and the past 3 years or so, been learning the Organics.
So, since I will need to shut my area down sometime in the spring, I’ll be changing up, new tents, all LED, will have 2 different Outlaw set ups, one that uses liquid nutrients and one, (maybe a damn fool thing to try) organics, in another one.
That is my game plan.
Let’s get started.

9 Likes

I picked up what I could get local first. Not exactly what I wanted, but I need to make one, and watch it cycle for a while.
I wanted a 20 gallon reservoir, but a 10 g one was on hand. I also picked up a top pan Active Aqua a 2’ x 2’ x 6" . I had a set of Flood n Drain fittings on hand.
I got the holes cut into the top pan for the FnD fittings. I like to deburr the edges of the holes I make, and found a bit of a sharp edge all around the top pan, and deburred it.

The coco coir husks will be replacing Rock Wool Croutons, as I recycle everything back into my out door garden, or into compost barrels. This has been hydrated with ReCharge, for now. Another CC husks is hydrated with just water to cycle the set up, to find any hinkies in the system.

The reservoir and top pan.

Tomorrow, fittings are added into top pan, adding the pump, then a drain pre filter fit into the reservoir to clean any returning fluid. And a drain cover for the flood and drain fittings.
Stay tuned!!

11 Likes

oh yes :slight_smile:

I will be watching this one for sure

be safe

Dequilo

4 Likes

Hell yes! Are you going to use hydroton or rocks in the channels on your tray so the water can flow? That 10 gallon is going to be empty every 3 days in flower! Great start, I have goose bumps :grin:

4 Likes

Hey dequilo, since I’m needing a change, outlaws system grabbed my head. My tinkering fool side needs something to do also!
Hey outlaw, since I have some lava rock left over, I’m using that. And also, this is my test unit, my place to start, my proto type if you will.
I will be sourcing a 20 gal resy, and Hydroton once a real build starts. I went to look at Hydropolis tents, a Gorilla subsidiary maybe. The 3 x 6 is what I’m going to use once I watch the system cycle for a week or so. I’ll be using a HLG 600 ReSpec LED.
Thank you for bring this system to us man!! Thank you for allowing me to copy it also.

6 Likes

Cool deal man. I love that thread ! Dude is the screen master

2 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing :slight_smile:

I do not need to do a flower run until next fall

I am thinking of flowering one or two plants

under one or two 600 watt lights in Hempy Buckets

all the best in your project My Brother

Dequilo

3 Likes

Looking forward to this build!!

2 Likes

Hay web I’ll tag along for the show
Joint rolled popcorn in hand

2 Likes

This is going to be good!! :chair::popcorn::beers:

Bring on the photos and knowledge :v::peace_symbol::call_me_hand::green_heart:

2 Likes

WOW!! Thank you all for your interest, in my version of Outlaws wonderful FnD set up.
Since I usually make everything I grow with if possible, and I’ve been away from hydro for so long now, I had no idea how nice the top tray Activa Aqua really are. There were dimples in the bottom of the tray, ( gee, old man, what do you think there for) once I opened up the fitting package and measured them, DUH pre dimpled so a caveman can just drill 1 3/8" hole to mount them properly.

I always deburr an edge, working plastic, or sheet metal what I purchased the tool for many many years ago.

Then I fit the drain cap, an old net pot, from when I was running a Travis Hugley bio-ponic set up out back.

As I’m installing the fitting and drain cap, other things are going on…

5 Likes

Hello My Friend I will have to do a search on the Outlaw system/setup

somewhat out of the loop :frowning: being a lazy ass soil-less grower

I was at one time going to do a 4 foot by 8 foot drain to waste and

water my garden with the run off

for me too many moving parts so I did a few runs in Hempy Buckets

if New York ever gets its head out of its ass

let me grow four plants and not throw my old ass in jail

I would hang 4000 watts in my room and do Krusty Freedom Buckets and grow trees

I cannot wait to see where you take this

all the best and be safe

Dequilo

3 Likes

I’m sanitizing my used pump and to check it’s power. I mixed up a solution of H2O2 and water, immersed the pump and plugged it in to just run.
Danger Danger Will Robinson
DO NOT GET H2O2 29% on you anywhere, big juju!! It will fuck you up handled improper. A great sanitizer, with big caution. I’m just sayin!

I cycled the pump about an hour, and just before I was going to dump that solution, I thought why not sanitize my lava rock also. Longtime ago, when I first started using perlite I realized the dust is not root friendly. So I used an old wallpaper paste gallon tub, cut the bottom out, pop riveted some screen under it, and rinse perlite dust off. Threw in the LR and soaked batches while drilling and what not.

While cycling LR in H2O2, while deciding how I want to cycle the tray and resy, I had a extra bag/block of coco coir husks still in block form. I thought, well after I clean the LR, maybe I’ll just pull the unhydrated block apart, lay the pieces in the top tray, and see how well it is flooding and draining, will it wet the husks like I want it. So just do it and see. But then, I may want to have a bit better drain filter just for testing. So I took a couple more net pots, some poly sheet batting, and garden wire and fashioned a cheapo pre filter for resy return line. This will be removed once I go live.

Running the system next.

5 Likes

Last week I mixed a batch of cc huskys with Recharge for when I start killing er working the system with plant matter. However since Outlaw is using RW croutons, I know it wicks very well, from working it long ago now. I’m a bit shy to use RW, but not opposed to it, I just need to exhaust my options with CChusks, as I can recycle that into my outdoor vegetable garden.
As I said posted earlier, I broke apart a block of husks, after adding my LR mostly around the drain cap, in the top tray, so I can time and watch the husks hydrating with the system running. I may need to add one riser to the drain side fitting, to bring the fluid level up a bit. I was not sure when installing the fittings.
My last few snaps for today, and sorry about turbo posting.

Ah, that lovely sipping drain sound, is just music to me!! It is so quiet, with that tiny sipping sound. I’ll cycle her for a about a week sitting by a floor drain, and watch wicking, and check resy temp.

5 Likes

OK, after running it for a more than 24 hours, and at first thinking the husks are not wicking as well as I wanted them to.
But I remember that Outlaw, only used a layer of RW croutons on the hydroton pebbles, then a ProMix layer as the growing medium per se.
So once I removed about half the hydrated husks, reveling a beautiful sight, of husks nice and wet, and plenty of space for the ProMix/Sunshine mix layer.
So now my beady wee brain wants to find me a spot and do dirty run, with just some quicko slapped up walls and whatever light I got in my failed dreams pile of stuff!
Me and failure have a very complicated relationship. As I could care less about failing, it’s not trying, that scares the Krikeys out of me.
I do still have a 4’ x 8’ x 7’6" it has been used very hard, moved, tore down, reset back up, and tore down, so yeah she’s tired…but not all of the pieces are…got to give that some of my wee brain power, to find a solution.

Now I see, a block of cchusks will work 2 trays, perfect!
ProMix will do (just guessing) maybe 8 or more trays.
Man I needed this project as I was just getting tired, mind stagnation. New issues, new thought process, very is uplifting to me.
So to the grow shop for a bail of ProMix, maybe another tray and resy and fittings if there. I want this system ALIVE!!
DAMN my juice junky cravings are still there after 15+ years of medium in buckets.

5 Likes

I was thinking same thing :slight_smile:

for me idle hands are truly the Devil’s playground

all the best My Friend and thanks for the show

Dequilo

3 Likes

Hey dequilo, how true, I think this tinkering obsession, is one of the houses by that playground!!
I dumped and cleaned the resy, pulled the pre filter off, it worked fine, but I think I’ll only run it once I get into organics.
I added a tee from the pump, so I add a fill tube off of it, while flooding, to have a running hose. More for starting a mature veg plant into the system. Then just keep it in the resy, to have some circulation when not flooding the tray.
Tomorrow I add some Sunshine mix, some CNS nutrients, check PH, and let it cycle a few days.

2 Likes

Hey, nice thread! Following a long looking forward to seeing where this takes you.

-Kush

1 Like

Thanks for stopping in kushdaddy.
I’m cutting open a bale of Sunshine Mix, tonight to add a portion to watch and time the wicking of it on top of the cc husks.
Then add some nutrients, take a few days of readings, then since I know the strain this system is made for, a Honey Badger Haze I’ve had around for years now. She’ll get vegged hard, screened, flipped.

1 Like

I finally grew out enough plant matter to free up a 4’x4x’7’6" tent.
The tank and tray fit perfect. I will be using the side flaps, that I have not ever used since I started using tents, maybe 12-13 years ago now. It will be this tents last blast, as a rebuild is coming for my area.
I removed the T5’s, the second floor, and the small hlg 65-V2, put that stuff in my other veg tent, that will serve as my keeper tent for the strains I will keep for after I start the rebuild in a few months.
So for the Outlaw, HLG 120 H 54A a small led for sure. That will be increased as time goes on.
I had 2 plants that either, I give away one of them, or use them. So both went into the tray, they (clones) were always on organic diets, but I think the transition to CNS grow and some Liquid Karma, will be ok.
One is a sweet Honey Badger Haze, that I know very well. And a ON Haze. Both in the 8" range for now.
I’ll be fitting a screen in there as I bounce along also.
I did not get any fresh pics today, but as I was doing stuff last night.
A snap for now.

3 Likes