Mycorrhizae In the mix or just the roots?

I’ve been using Mycorrizae during transplant for a long time and am convinced of its benefits. My typical application is to sprinkle right on the exposed roots and a little in the bottom. Is there any advantage to mixing mycorrhiza in the soil? Thanks in advance for your input. Peace…

:cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

I get the blue bag with veggies on it of promix, has myco in it already

1 Like

Answer to your question, must have some benefits.

3 Likes

They are only effective if they come into contact with the roots. Your method is the most effective, no greater benefit to mixing it in soil.

4 Likes

And how does it get on the roots if not sprinkled there, thru the dirt, other wise I’m sure they wouldn’t sell the stuff if they didn’t Know it had benefits mixed in with the medium.

1 Like
4 Likes

How can you say mycos right in the mix is of no benefit, is it or is it now finding its way to the roots?

2 Likes

I do the same, sprinkle on root ball and some around where the root ball is going to be planted.
I also give a top dressing every couple of weeks, just for a piece of mind.
Don’t know if it helps but it sure don’t hurt it.

4 Likes

I’m saying the benefit comes from applying it directly to the roots. Adding a teaspoon to a gallon of mix will not give a greater increase in my experience. It is more cost effective to apply it to the roots when transplanted.

6 Likes

Potential Benefits of Mycorrhizae:

Enhanced water and nutrient uptake.
Reduction of irrigation requirements.
Reduction need for fertilizer.
Increased drought resistance.
Increased pathogen resistance.
Increased plant health and stress tolerance.
Higher transplanting success.
5 Likes

That is correct, I read it as mixing it into the mix has no benefits.
Either way is good but yeah the direct shot would be more beneficial.

3 Likes

It seems to make the mix a bit too hot for fresh seedlings thou. Kinda stunts them for a bit.
I like the orange promix for seedlings.

Sub uses it in his supersoil mix. I always add to any soil mix I use and when transplanting.

2 Likes

Presactly what I needed to know. It was suggested, if I understood correctly, that there was benefit to mixing it in soil. I understand that it needs to make contact with the roots to be effective which makes sense. Although I see soil mixes that proclaim to have it as an ingredient. I think we are right @ReikoX.

2 Likes

This is my first grow but the way I did it was I put some granular myco in the hole where I drop my seed, maybe like 1/4 tsp. Then drop the seed with the taproot going right down into the myco

Then when I xplant I put however much on the label for how much soil I’ve got in the hole where the plant is going, so roots making direct contact.

Water, and in goes the plant, cover with dirt and done.

4 Likes

I never thought of using it upon seed planting. I’ve only used it at transplant. Hmmmm.

2 Likes

It’s even more cost effective if you apply it at the roots in a dilute form. Depending on the myco product, I mix between 2:1-4:1 Azomite to myco. One could just as easily use sand, DE, zeolite, or other desired input as the diluting agent as long as it’s dry for the mixing process.

1 Like

Im using tarantula.

1 Like