Need Help First Timer Noob

This is my new plant. Initially tried to make it a bonsai and bend it into something cool but the strings ended up doing nothing lol. Doesn’t matter. I just want to know if I should top it or bend it more or what to prune in order to get a sweet yield with a shortish plant.

16 Likes

I’d get in there and top it, that will push the lateral branching and will help increase the ‘buddage’.

…and welcome to Overgrow @bigmoochiegrape!!

Cheers
G

14 Likes

Welcome to OG! I would second the advice to top to keep her short and bushy. Anything above the 4th or 5th node.

6 Likes

If this is what your going for snag a cheapy little bonsai wiring kit! I’ve wanted to do this with cannabis for year just haven’t gotten around to it.

Otherwise for yield definitely top and go horizontal.

Good luck on your run!

4 Likes

This is just me, but I would step away from using strings. It is very easy to constrict flow up the plant with strings that are too tight. I use pipe cleaners(“fuzzy sticks” from Walmart are longer and cheaper than actual pipe cleaners) and just make a hook/ loop to hold the stalk or branch. “Just hold on loosely” and I use binder clips to secure them to the planter. Don’t know if they are an option, just a suggestion. I also use cheap chopsticks for bracing when taking LST to the limit.

And welcome to the OG.

3 Likes

You could just bend the whole damn thing over. I use butcher twine.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @bigmoochiegrape!

I’m surprised that no one has asked what type of plant that is. If it’s and autoflower, no don’t top. :+1:

5 Likes

I’m just trying to guess the region/location :joy:

Yield is subjective— let’s establish the goal with that & then plan— an ounce or a ton? :sweat_smile:

:evergreen_tree: between nm & la? :world_map::thinking:

3 Likes

Welcome @bigmoochiegrape !!!
Thank you for cultivating this awesome plant.
I agree with topping, it’s easy and doesn’t cost you a cent!
Then later on, when there’s two main branches, then you can top those again, etc.

I usually eat the toppings or make tea with them, very healthy! :+1:

1 Like

You could LST, exposing nodes that eventually become colas. Also, don’t cut off the fan leaves if you don’t have to. Tuck them under the stalk, but make sure nodes get sunlight. As the plant gets larger, you can cut off fan leaves, but even then you want to do that sparingly. YMMV.

Did you grow this from seed or is it a clone? If it’s by seed, do you know if its a Reg or Fem seed? If it’s a Reg seed, chances are 50/50 that it’s a male/female. Female is what you want, as it produces the buds. Looks healthy though. Good going!

2 Likes

Here’s how to wire:
https://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/styling/wiring`

1 Like