Need some help getting off the bottle?

I think that i’ve understandood but better to verify if i’m not wrong ^^
So, none specific procedure in fact to recycle the soil but more a constant feeding during all the spanlife of the pot itself.

You losted my in one step, the transplanting phase.
Ho do you transplant new specimens in these pots ? I mean without grinding the whole substract.It’s where i’m lost sorry ^^

2 Likes

I find thats the best part about notill. No transplanting. You plant right into the pot and leave it there. Throw seeds down water and mulch. Bam done.

You are right. We dont stop feeding. The plant will “flush” its self when its ready. We feed right till harvest day and we keep feeding after. Plant right into the pot and continue the normal feed. Dont need to go light or heavy on feeding ever unless you dont feed for a few weeks.

With notill we also make sure the soil is always moist. This keeps the microbes alive and thriving. If it dried out they can die and release all their nutrients.

2 Likes

Nice, the extra informations give me the insurance to have well understand thanks ^^ If i extrapolate, there is not recycling but more “maintaining”.

But for the no-transplanting, you mean no till don’t permit clones and only seeds ?

1 Like

You can use coco but IMO it’s inferior to peat. Due so how its process there’s little is any microbes in it. Most coir bricks are just chopped and compressed so they tend to be high in salt content, which hurts the ability of new microbes to grow as well as making it hard for roots to grow. It breaks down a lot faster than peat providing some calcium and magnesium and has a higher CEC than peat if I’m not mistaken.
Peat bales are just cut from the bogs if large sections. Then cut to whatever cubic foot size and packaged. So the microbes present are still there. Plus peat tends to have more humic material. Just my two cents lol

2 Likes

The problem I see most people do with topdressing is applying to much “green” amendments with too little “browns” to slow down it’s decay. This tends to heat up the soil from booming microbe growth or worse invites molds you don’t want. Like lotus said its cold composting so you always want to insure there’s a good thick “brown” mulch layer.
Finished compost has a C:N of 30:1 I believe so I’d say keep the ratio of fresh mulch/amendments to 50:1-60:1.
That rate should keep unwanted molds in check as well as make for a more fungal dominate soil.

4 Likes

That is pretty much exactly what I do. Only difference is I use royal jelly power too. Sadly I ran out and haven’t gotten more so my girls haven’t gotten any for prolly close to a month now

2 Likes

Well in the case of clones you are able to move some soil out of the way to fix the clone in there. Problem comes in when you keep removing soil to add clones that are grown in shitty soil. Youll slowly replace the good with the bad.

I used to use bee pollen. But then i found out about tryna source bee products that dont kill off bees. Im slowly ommiting as much as i can. Eventually itll just be kelp neem and barley.

My problem will be more to be able to engage them in the previous root mass in fact. Damn, my english. Better to show.

From this point, how do you put your clone in the previous root mass ?

2 Likes

At that point it looks like you need to cut away at the roots for better growth When transplanting. But right here you can just fill the notill pot around the clone. This would be a lot of soil to remove from a pot. The solocups is as big as ill go before putting them in the notill pots.

Oh that second pic didnt pop up right away. The second pic is the best time to pop em in a notill pot. I just dig in the pot a little bit trying not to harm the worms and pop her in. No soil loss. Little added.

2 Likes

Ho sorry, the first photo is an harvested clone just culled. Not a transplanting.
The second photo is the clone’s format that i need to transplant in the first photo, that i try to imagine in notill mode.

1 Like

I like em that small because its way easier to transplant. I use peat pots so i dont have to take off the pot!

Let’s imagine in details, i’m truly losted sorry. Seriously, if you take the time to take some pics of these types of operation it will be a god send.

1 - I cut the trunk at surface
2 - I digg in it to reach the primary root ball
3 - I make some space for the root mass of the clone, i push it inside
4 - i totally lost the notill label ^^

1 Like

I usualy transplant on the other side of the pot where there is no big main root ball.

Chop at trunk.
Dig 6 inchs away from the stump
Push her in the hole
Now make it snug like you normally would:)

3 Likes

I also swap sides each transplant but hug them close so myco’s and other goodies can colonize easier.

5 Likes

I’ve to experiment, maybe i do too much extrapolation. Actually i’m unable to put a single finger in the substract of my finished sog clones, no matter where. It’s like a big sponge at the end.

Seriously, this thread is the perfect place to start to document it. No matter if it’s done with a cellphone, it will be a very great help for people interrested by a comparative single test in theyr space. I can’t invite you enough to take the time for it.

4 Likes

Dude youre gonna be amazed at this notill if those are your roots when they are done! Even if you switched to using smart pots wih the same method of growing. Your roots are everything. Remember. You can only get soo much coffee out of a small coffee can!

3 Likes

What about the ferments :grin: I have everything in that list already except for the fulvic. Topdressing and teas, also totally down with that.

Ferments… eh. I’d love to, but once farmer’s market season is over, I’d be fermenting produce from Whole Foods that has been trucked over from ryasco’s neck of the woods – neither environmentally nor financially friendly.

Edit: getting the barley was amusing, though.

Beer Store Guy: “What kind of beer are you brewing?”
Me: “No, this is for plants.”
BSG: “Plants?”
Me: “Yup, chock full of enzymes that help plants grow.”
BSG: “Cool, cool. So what kind of plants?”
Me: “… uhm, basil?”

10 Likes

I would say sweet grass, yarrow, and other weeds but your window is closing with winter coming.

3 Likes

Ferments go in there randomly. I can replace kelp and neem teas with kelp and neem ferments. And yessir winter is comming. Thats why i stocked up on ferments over the spring and summer. You can always grow your own nutrients!

Ps you shoulda said rocket fuel;)

3 Likes