Nevil passes and the seed drops start!

Sorry, whose Ghash? and Haze?

1 Like

When I say haze I refer to nevils haze, and ghash is what his cross between g13 and hashplant was called from what I understand, it might have been the mr nice version that acquired that nickname Iā€™d just look at what he was known for and go threw shanti or somebody that has been known to have it.

3 Likes

Well, this has been an interesting read. I appreciate all of the knowledge being shared. I was around during all of that but I had already gone into the Navy and then working and moving a lot. It was impossible for me to keep up with the scene.

I stopped buying HT after I was moving so much, but I was probably smoking a lot of the most famous shit while in the Northwest but there was not much hoopla on the streets then. Everything was held close to the vest for obvious reasons.

The truth is I never even heard Nevil passed. Damn. I was a little shocked. I stumbled onto this thread and was confusedā€¦ then I Googled and read some stories.

RIP brother man. Thanks for being the torch bearer of what Iā€™ve loved for so much of my life.

Thanks for the stories @deep_rob. If you ever get down to Trinidad, hit me up. peace

6 Likes

I wouldnā€™t go that far. I have grown more than 30 the last couple of years and havenā€™t found a single stable plant in the bunch and most grow twins from the word go. Iā€™d say it would be a stretch to say it even resembles a true skunk plant.

Iā€™d also echo @deep_rob in that a lot of us :cough: older guys have Nevillā€™s gear. Bet I have close to 20 strains as we speak.

7 Likes

In the public sphere, shanti, eddie and tony are the ones that have, what is out there. If they dont have it, then its not in the public sphereā€¦ Henk has some old gear but not anymore. he still has the mazar, but idk how close it is to what it originally was.

Mau has old stuff, because he has been making knockoffā€™s for 30 years.

Iā€™m not special, I just got lucky bc i started in the 90ā€™sā€¦ If i was born a decade later I wouldve started in the 2000ā€™s and I wouldā€™ve been using OG and stuff like that insteadā€¦

For preservation sake (not for profits sake), i think it would be like rare dogsā€¦like, u find another who has a rare dog like you, and and u breed yours with theirs to preserve the line.
But that involves trust. and thats hard to come by in this businessā€¦

18 Likes

I have everything Shanti (almost) has got EXCEPT for Nevilā€™e Haze. I have seedlings going of Shit, Spice and Sharkshock going right now.

1 Like

wow, I have twins and thought ā€œWell thats a first for meā€. So its a THING? Mannnnnn you burst my bubble, lol.
Lately I have been on a quest to get as close as possible to the classics so I got Josh D OGK collab with Karma, waiting for LOUD to drop Sour D, got Flying Dutchmen The Pure, and so on.

What would you suggest would be The clossest to Skunk #1. What about The Road kill line?

2 Likes

Shanti, I know, but who are the others? Tony Iomi? Eddie Van hallen? and Henk Williams? lol.
No seriously who are they, you might send me on a new path.

1 Like

That ā€œDurban poisonā€ was brought over here by Ed Rosenthal in the 70ā€™s and later worked with by Mel Frank and a few that preserved it here in the states bringing it inside since the early 80ā€™s

Thereā€™s said to be a A & B line, first was in the dam with Sam.

2 Likes

Yeah to clarify what I was saying, Durban poison is a name given to the bushweed grown in that area but itā€™s always been pretty much the same rooibaard strain grown across the country. The durban poison that is sold online today is a hybrid and not the original bushweed strain.

4 Likes

Just have to be in the right place at the right time, or know the right people if you are seeking the real deal and not a mix or poor copy cats version using Rhooibard (Red Beard) - its far from being a worked line even if it was in- crossed from my own experience. Rooibard is very diverse and the rope to dope ratio variesā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m from South Africa so I might know some peeps when it comes to local landraces. The pictures they use to sell DP online does not look like the local stuff use too. And Iā€™m pretty sure no one would want it if it was the real deal. Thereā€™s a reason people here have been importing overseas strains from early on, local stuff is pretty average at best.

Also all the landraces here use to be slightly different versions of rooibaard due to climate, including DP. Then swazi came down and along with the overseas strains they muddied the water.

9 Likes

Hello there :star_struck::eyes::cherries::star2::green_heart: is it possibele to ask for some , seed to chanche.
Your now realy good Busch strain whit God yeld . Love and light from Sweden

Would that be the Flying Dutchman ā€œThe Pureā€?

Hahahah, thats cool. I actually found ā€œDurbanā€ from Cannabiogen. A 14 week strain. After researching them, I appreciated them more by them naming it ā€œDurbanā€ rather than the Sensationalised DP name. I hope Im not the dope, lol.
Well see next year when I grow them

1 Like

Has anyone found any real RKS in anything out there now? I know a half dozen groups growing skunks and searching for the stink. Dunno why. Skunk was all the rage in Northern California in the late 1970s. So was anything Purple. Then grows moved indoors and the skunk went away. Never saw any real skunk after 1985 or so. I have several Skunk stashes of seeds from Northern California and Europe. I have yet to get any skunk in any of them. Nice strawberry, floral and fruit flavor terpenes, but no skunk.

What is amusing is that all these strains were bred and grown in the US before they ever made it to Holland. But oh no, the Dutch get all the credit for them. Or Sammy Skunk claims he bred them all here and took them there. Myths and legends. The real breeders of Haze, RKS Skunk, SAGE, Mendo Purps, Dog Bud/Chem Dog, OG Kush, BubbleGum, Northern Lights are pretty much all unknown. Some breeders are known from here though, like Mel Frank (Durban Poison A & B), Jerry Beisler (Cali-O), DJ Short (Blueberry) and Ken Estes (GDP). One Dutch strain of merit is White Widow from Shantibaba (now called Black Widow). There are some ā€œimprovedā€ Dutch lines of some of the California strains, but most were overbred with indicas IMO.

7 Likes

Mel Frank does not say who brought the Durban landrace seeds to him from Holland. He was Ed Rosenthalā€™s roommate in Oakland then. Everyone assumes that Ed Rosenthal sent them. It may have also been Old Ed (Halloway) that sent them. Old Ed was the one that send Sam Skunk the plane ticket to fly to Holland. Old Ed said he later regretted doing that. Mel says he developed two stable Druban strains. He sent Strain B to Sam Skunk in Holland. He says it was by mistake, and Strain A was better. Strain A Durban cuts are still around here in the west US. Its good shit. Its all Durban. Sam then bred Strain B Durban in Holland with his de-skunked skunk strain, and that took the terpenes out of it. That is what is sold in Holland now. The skunk Durban cross.

5 Likes

Yeah if he got it out of Holland it may have been worked there before?. Stuff from the 70, 80 and maybe early 90ā€™s was very airy thin looking sativa buds so donā€™t know how its now looking similar to most hybrids on the market? And if itā€™s good shit then again that mustā€™ve been worked. That was some headache making paranoia stoned and you needed to smoke a couple of big bats before you where properly stoned.
The un official word on the street here is that the guys in Holland threw an afghan or some indica at it and then worked it.

Either way I think itā€™s hilarious that its sold today as a great strain and marketed as being durban poison.

Shanti has a rare seed drop called "Roadkill " its said that it has that real skunk smell. Im not sure but I suspect as as close t real skunk as we can get these days.

Maybe thats why Todd McCormick is charging $200 for 10 seeds, lol.

1 Like