Nevil passes and the seed drops start!

Holy crap $439 was the discounted price :joy:

10$ a seed is reasonable. 20$ a seed is high end and most people wonā€™t pay it. However I like how you can purchase 1 or 100. As you have said one little seed can do a lotā€¦

I also like how you are straight up and answering peopleā€™s questions and not disappearing from the thread. I respect that. A lot of guys would have dropped one long comment then not be heard from again.

I enquired about ordering But you donā€™t ship to Canada. Wish you did. Because Your menu looks $$. If someone orders the skunk #1 do you get to choose between the 1996 or 2010?. :v:

7 Likes

Hey @StocktonT great to see ya on here brother.
Hope things are well.

2 Likes

Since weā€™re talking hazes on this thread also where does Old-timer come into this equation?

3 Likes

Yeah man not saying he was a lair or badmouthing your seeds. Was speaking about seedbanks in general selling Durban Poison as a landrace. I donā€™t know any of the history or events when DP was 1st gathered from here in South Africa but once it left here it got cultivated and worked. Couldā€™ve been good pheno hunting / selection or some added spice from another strain but the plants advertised today arenā€™t the same as the landrace was. Find this a somewhat frustrating topic to talk about because apparently being a South African doesnā€™t count when you speak about strains you grew up with. Shouldā€™ve not posted that anyways as this thread is about something else really.

4 Likes

Itā€™s cool - and thanks - I am only interested in being accurate, I hate people who make up stories, So I donā€™t do it myself. If I had experience with the cultivar, I would be happy to talk about it but, when I lived in Amsterdam it had a bad reputation of being a hermaphrodite, so I avoided it.

I remember quite clearly being with Old Ed and we were going through the Positronics seeds and I held up a pack of Durbin Poison and he nixed us popping the seeds and said has a tendency to hermaphrodite, and Old Ed would not work with anything that had those tendencies.

This is a photograph of the Durbin Poison seeds that I have that Mel Frank grew, this photograph was taken by him, and the flower grown by him.

9 Likes

I have never grown ā€œOld Timersā€, but if it really is Haze ancestry, it has to come from the Original Haze that came out of Santa Cruz in the 70ā€™s and was saved by Skunkman Sam and brought to Holland in 1984.

From what I understand, the grower behind Haze, G, and his friend R.L. (the guy who made the Haze poster) stopped growing it in favor of Skunk, which came in earlier and had more of a harvest. The Haze variety was lost by the original growers and everything Haze that we smoke now, came from the Haze seeds that Sam saved and brought to Holland in 1984.

I grew this flower from the Original Haze seeds that I got from Sam in 2012:

When Sam arrived in Holland in 1984, he sold seeds to all the new seed companies: Wernard: Positronics - then The Lowland Seed Co, Nevil: The Holland Seed Bank, Kees: Super Sativa Seed Club aka: SSSC, The Flying Dutchman, and all the others.

When Sam and Rob Clarke arrived in Holland they set a new standard of cannabis excellence with: Afghan #1, Hindu Kush, Haze, Skunk No.1, Pollyanna, California Orange and others. Before Nevil met Sam, Nevil was selling seeds in his Catalog for just $.10 each which he collected from coffee shops that had import cannabis, and Nevil stated in his first July 1984, catalog, that he could not speak to the authenticity of the seeds, because of how he collected them.

I was pretty surprised to learn that I had been making seeds of Afghan/Skunk in the winter of 1984, even before Nevil was making seeds. Heā€™s considered a great breeder but, when you look at the true history, Nevil did not have much experience growing cannabis before he started making seeds in 1985.

Sam on the other hand, had started growing cannabis 1965, created Skunk No.1 in the early 70ā€™s, started the worldā€™s first cannabis seeds company, ā€œSacred Seedsā€, and was selling seeds of Skunk and Haze in the Autumn of 1975.

I know a lot of people claim to have gotten Haze before Sam or another way other than through his collection, but most of the stories I have researched turn out to not be true and can not be backed up.

When I was at Samā€™s, he let me take photos from his catalog/label collection, I will share them for the history and your enjoyment.

Haze labels from the 70ā€™s:

Sacred Seeds Seed sales card - sometime between1975 - 1979

14 Likes

@ToddMcC So when people order do they get to choose the 1996 or 2010 Skunk? Or is it just a shot in the dark when ordering? :v:

4 Likes

Yes - I let people pick what they want like itā€™s a wine bottle.

At this time I have some of both years.

This is a photo of the Skunk No.1:

8 Likes

Iā€™d like to see what else you have available and I donā€™t have an ig account, any ideas?
Thank you for the history lesson to by the way!

1 Like

I have to wonder why it is at the prices you charge for the seeds, why donā€™t you become a site sponsor like the other seed dealers and post your ads under the sponsored category?

2 Likes

At this time, I only advertise on my own social media and in the magazine I write for: www.growmag.com In time I would like to advertise, but I am just getting started and in time I will.

I thought overgrow was gone TBH, I only stumbled upon this thread accidently through a google search for something else. I really just started selling seeds in May, and then my dog got totally sick and that distracted me till I had to put him down just weeks ago.

I am thrilled to see Overgrow going again, when it first started around or after 2000, it was during the time that I was in he feds - Jan 3rd, 2000 to May 19th, 2004, so I was not active on the original Overgrow, had I not been in prison, I would have loved this site. I will for sure look into advertising, but for now, I was just dealing with people talking BS about me which I always stand up to. I have always made the hard decisions and did my best to be a great person, and after having cancer so many times, I feel that life is short and we should speak up.

And OleReynard:
You can still see instagram on a web browser without having an account - just click on the link: www.instagram.com/toddpmccormick

10 Likes

Hahah someone is buying 1996 skunkā€¦

3 Likes

Doesnā€™t ship to Canada. But if he did Iā€™d buy a seed or two and hope for a nice male. Iā€™ve got some Jamaican land races that could Make something special. . Someoneā€™s gotta test the hype no? :blush::v:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s insane prices for skunk #1

2 Likes

Donā€™t really see anything Iā€™m getting all googley over.
Modern day elites with on haze.
Itā€™s what everybodies doing now, I blaze my own trail.
But hey good luck, I know someone out there will jump.

5 Likes

By the way, I just read your post, and Iā€™m not a sellout and itā€™s pretty rude of you to say that. You are just another guy with the fake name throwing shade on a real person, meanwhile youā€™re hiding your real identity: typical.

Aside from being in a few High Times interviews, Iā€™ve never really worked for them, though one time in 2006, as an independent contractor, I did a photo shoot with Kevin Nealon and interviewed him, but then when the story ran, High Times tried to pay me half of what they promised me, and I never worked for them again. I am not a fan, and havenā€™t appeared in the magazine for well over a decade.

Again, the truth ruins the story.

You clearly donā€™t know me and, from what youā€™re writing, it clearly seems like you donā€™t know what youā€™re talking about when it comes to the history of cannabis either.

And by the way, Haze was a three-way Colombian, thereā€™s no Mexican in it.

As for Sacred Seeds, Sam did print up Sacred Seeds Sales cards, and I posted them above.

It really saddens me to see so many misinformed people acting like authorities when they have no experience with the people they are talking about or the history theyā€™re misrepresenting.

8 Likes

What is Afghan - Skunk - RKS

I get asked this multiple times a day so Iā€™m just going to post this here because I saw other people posting about the stinky scent of Afghan.

When people talk about ā€œRoadkill Skunkā€, what they are really talking about is Afghan: it smelled acrid, and skunky (like a North American Skunk dead on the side of the road). In the 70ā€™s, a lot of cannabis that was crossed with Afghan smelled stank, much like a dead skunk and people bred away from it, and instead choose plants for the sweeter and spicer tones that were more aromatic and pleasurable, and also, for scents that did not get their garden easily discovered.

Afghan varieties are also more leafy and comparatively to more tropical varieties, they have lower THC, and in turn, our breeding for higher THC as well as a higher bract to leaf ratio, meant that we inevitably bred away from the stinky Afghan characteristics.

Skunk #1 started in the 70ā€™s, as a combination of Afghan and Colombian, and then was crossed with Acapulco Gold, and indeed did start itā€™s existence stinking like a skunk and hence begot itā€™s name. But over time, the breeder, Skunkman Sam, bred subsequent generations for higher THC and a sweeter scent that his wife liked, while also breeding for uniformity and consistency which is why, since the early 80s, Skunk No.1, went from stinky to sweet, as did much of the cannabis that was originally bred with Afghan plants of the 70ā€™s.

11 Likes

I have some of Samā€™s stinkers and they all didnā€™t have the sweetness to them. Some snuck by.
Iā€™ve got a couple of them that are flatout skunk and weā€™re still going thru them as we speak.

9 Likes

Depending on what year you got Skunk seeds from Sam, the scent varies. The seeds that I have were begotten from Sam by Mel Frank in 1988, so they were kinda old, but not as old as some of the Skunk seeds that Sam is holding.

Sam offered me some very old seed stock that he said only has about a 25% germination rate, but he said that it has the phenos that smell acrid. Next time I am in Europe, Iā€™m definitely going to pick some up.

But in the confusion, I think a lot of people call an Afghan plant ā€œskunkā€, just because of how it smells. But just to be clear, there is no Skunk No.1 in Afghan, but there is Afghan in Skunk No.1.

I have an old Superglue cutting which is Afghan/Northern Lights, and it smells like a skunk, so much so that, months ago my girlfriend was coming in and she thought that my dog got sprayed, but she was just walking past an air outlet that was actually charcoal filtered (clearly it didnā€™t help that much).

If people were to just start collecting Afghan landraces, I am sure they will find the old stinky smell. Rob Clarke told me that so many of the Afghan varieties that were coming over in the 70ā€™s, shared the stink, and while many people initially bread with them in order to shorten the flower cycle of the more tropical plants, they quickly tried to breed away from the Afghan to get higher THC, and a high bract to leaf ratio.

Good luck with your old Sam seeds, Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll be incredible.

And I donā€™t know how everybody is doing what Iā€™m doing, when I donā€™t know anybody who actually has real haze that has not been muddied up - like, Amnesia (shouldnā€™t be called) Haze.

For those of you who do not understand what I did, out of the 62 varieties that I picked to cross against my ON Haze; that list of plants contained examples of all five major terpene groups, as fairly soon, more of the cultivation and consuming community will understand the many different flavors of cannabis.

Cannabis contests will go from the very stupid Sativa/Indica classification to more comprehensive terpene analysis, and flowers will compete in categories with similar terpene expressions.

I personally like the full range of cannabis just like I like the full spectrum of color, Iā€™m kinda tired of low vibe energy plants that flower in less than 10 weeks, and are so similar to all the other plants that flower in under 10 weeks. It was my goal to take varieties that are all very good, and make them a little brighter by bringing Haze into them.

Nevil was once quoted as saying: ā€œThere was weed, and then there was Haze.ā€

12 Likes

On the subject of Haze, an acquaintance acquired some lot5 of old Old-timers gear.
In which he found lime, blueberry,strawberry and lemon phenos, which I canā€™t wait to dive into.

He also has the ā€œRksā€ that he found out of another lot of old Old-timers gear

Maybe you can shed some light on this haze for me.
Iā€™m taking it was open pollinated to be able to find all these different terpenes.

Appreciate the knowledge youā€™re laying down here for us all!

11 Likes