Nitrogen deficiency? Root bound

I see this happen with new growers a lot. They think they need all of these expensive marketed hydro nutes. Most even say okay for soil, but they really aren’t a great choice. Then they have a problem and other indoor growers in a soilless mix or coco tell them its a ph problem because to them it would be. Every medium you grow in is a different grow and needs different attention. He has simply mixed more than one growing type together and thinks he has to constantly do something to the plants. Soil requires very little attention even once you need to start feeding which is like I mentioned before at least 4 weeks from transplant. Messing with ph in soil is last resort. When certain the nutes are locked out. In his case he has locked them out himself by all of the above. Soil = LITFA

4 Likes

Totally agree, new growers seem to all fall for the same trap. More stuff = better buds which is just not the case. Even in coco I see it all the time. 13 bottles of nutes with flushing agents sold to flush out the concoctions and than inevitably pics of fried plants. This is why GH sells their advance mixing kit for the pro line :slight_smile:
original

2 Likes

How did you get a picture from in my shed!!!

I mean… ummmm… hahaha, funny picture…:woozy_face:🥸

3 Likes

It’s a 4x4 by 80in high, it gets upto 95 degrees, with 4 fans on high, door “ajar” but I have been watering everyday, if I don’t they look completely limp, but I feel around its dry I believe, but ill show you this filter from pur, with this reading it’s insanity! It removes all the dissolved solids, but shoots my already “hard, and high” city water through the roof

I was honestly thinking the same, I cannot keep the tent fully open, because my cat is quite curious, My buddy told me to try strawberry fields… I bought it a bit ago. Probably a mistake… Seems “hot” and that same 50 coco/50 perlite mix

I was going to grab the promix too, and not strawberry fields forever…

… Thats the lowest I’ve ever seen the Ph, and the ph pen is decent, it’s an Apera

That sounds like good advice, my buddies been growing 20years, but he’s a lazy turd, I can’t even ask him a simple, hey how are you without a groan of his turdness, the guy at the hydro shop said “nutes, water, nutes, water” im like everyday? Yup, now I believe he was just trying to sell me more shit… Im a sucker for a good sales pitch, and a BS line

Thank you all

3 Likes

Growers will always give better advice than those getting commission to sell you stuff.

3 Likes

Huh, who withdrew what ?

Buddy at this point of ph lockout. Flush the hell outta your plants. Then buy some new SOIL not promix or hydro and replant. Just use regular water (no messing with filtered water or ph down etc.) only for at least 3 weeks. Come flower time… about 2 weeks in… add some flower nutes, but start at 1/2 strength at first and work your way up, and only once a week and you can probably turn this around. Now, in soil you are only gonna need cal/mag like once every 3 or 4 weeks in flower. If however, you don’t get those temps down in that tent via a/c or something your buds are gonna be tiny tiny tiny. Basically, get them in new soil and mostly leave them alone!!! An organic fish fert is always a good option for soil. Hydro nutes are usually just too hot for soil. I usually put dry flower nutes in my final transplant and supplement with fish fert after the soil has been depleted (4 weeks) until flower. At that point, the flower nutes should break down in the soil and you would only need to top dress with more dry flower nutes once a month around top dress time in flower they will need cal/mag, but like I said not often.

I grow strictly in soil, my water comes out of the tap at 5.3 and I never have ph problems. The soil will buffer it. I guarantee you. The soil you are in now is toast. You’ve killed all the microbes and it is too hot from all the extra nutes and you will never get the ph fixed at this point. I would do this soon or your plants will most surely die. My honest and best growing advice .

2 Likes

My run off was between 153-157 ppm

2 Likes

Had the same thing happen to my Zamaldelica clone, mag lock out due to high ph.
My homegrown compost was the culprit.
Normally runs 6.0 - 6.5 but my last batch is a solid 7.8.
I put a lot of charcoal in that pile, likely the main reason.
Not too much I could do at that point but try 1.5 teaspoons of lemon juice/gal. in a single, one time watering.
I’m growing TLO style so no ph down for me.
It worked imo.

Seems to have done the trick

3 Likes

What were you pouring in the top for ppm if 153 was out the bottom also did you check run off ph ?

1 Like

Leave water out in 5 gal buckets for 24 hrs n flush for a week, my guess your over doing it with nutrients…im in 3 gal pots n i use about 1 1/2 gal every 3 days for 6 plants…after u flush give nutes one feeding and one feeding plain water n switch off with nutes…just my 2 cents btw i use oceanforest too but i try to start in reg soil or happy frog as ocean forest kinda hot for clones/ seedlings

Its just me but the plants looked fine just get rid of the old yellowing under growth . And stop the pot shop fixes a little plant can only uptake a small amount of nutrients . Try real dirt in those cloth pots or at least add a lot of well aged manure to the mix . I love the grow bags they drain well and let the roots get some oxygen . Slow small changes the plant will let you know if its happy .

2 Likes

@DougDawson
You say “ nothing ph’s the rain and things grow fine”…

Not totally accurate, rain water naturally dissolves CO2 as it falls, which when dissolved in water generates carbonic acid. The pH of rain water is about 5.5 or so. Also if it fell in a lightning storm it will also have atmospherically fixed nitrate too. Nitrate that formed by lightning turning N2 gas into Nitrate (NO4-).

3 Likes

And acid rain (due to contamination) can have a pH 4.0 … exclaim|nullxnull

2 Likes

Lol, ok bud. My point is it all happens naturally and the soil deals with it in the end. Perhaps I should have said “nobody” ph’s the rain. I just figured people would understand the generalization. Interesting info you added though so thanks for that.

3 Likes

I wasn’t calling you out, a lot of people think rainwater = naturally distilled = pH7, 0 ppm.

I was very surprised when I learned that good clean (no sulfur pollution/ acid rain) rain water has such low pH (acidic). 5.1-5.5. Basically exactly what we are gunning for when pH correcting municipal water supplies.

I came across the info in my cacti growing. Most of the cacti I grow need a limestone based substrate, and a big part of it is the acidic rainwater dissolving the limestone freeing Ca and Mg ions. The cacti in question basically stop growing and start slowly shrinking and slowly dying with straight tap water, but a touch of citric acid and they green right up and grow/flower like crazy. Seriously night and day.

6 Likes

No worries man, I get it. I am glad you added that info. I learned some stuff there so I appreciate it.

1 Like