Nitrogen packaging

An interesting side bar. Had some friends from the midwest swing out this way last spring. Opened a jar and the comments were … that doesn’t even smell like weed. Smells good, not weed. Then, pulled out some left over stuff intended for the burn pile that had been sitting in a paper bag for god who-knows-how-long … dry, crumbling, oxidized to the max … and … yeah that’s more like it. (they were used to the smell of brick weed).

My experience with oxidation from a smell perspective is —> terpene expression → dirty diaper bin → skunky + (can’t think of the adjective, starts with an ‘a’).

4 Likes

Yep. Vapor pressure will cause volatile substances to come to something of an equilibrium (not 1:1) with the surrounding atmosphere. Which would include moisture and probably terpenes. Generally, lower the boiling point of the substance, the more mass of that substance will contribute towards creating an equilibrium. Not necessarily linear either. Despite noting boiling point, it doesn’t actually have to ‘boil’. E.g. think about why sublimation occurs. Also, keeping in mind, a vacuum will decrease the boiling point of most volatile substances. It’s how they do vacuum distillation.

If I had a preference and the goal was strictly preservation, I’d go with an inert gas but without a vacuum. Without an inert gas available, vacuum to reduce the oxygen mass.

There was at least one graduate study that seem to contradict this but I don’t really understand why or how. So, theoretical thoughts.

3 Likes

I watched a cannacribs with rare dankness and that is how they seal their flower. Nitrogen purge then sealed in a catfood looking tin

3 Likes

Started thinking, not for FUD. Since there’s talk about oxygen reduction, is anyone aware of any cases of botulism poisoning from stored cannabis. Moisture low enough?

2 Likes