Food for thought.. is there any nutrients that can increase the shelf life of cannabis?

As a grower, you’re always looking to maximize quality and quantity but what are things we can do to increase the shelf life of our final product? Obviously proper dry and cure, storage conditions, and strain selection play a big part in the longevity of the bud quality but what kind of nutrients would other growers suggest to increase shelf life of your final product and why? Or what nutrients reduce shelf life?

6 Likes

Non issue. Dry/cure is the priority.

13 Likes

Then freeze

5 Likes

Yes, freezing. That’s what I’m left to explore. The only weakness is, once the bud is frozen, handle it like nitroglycerin otherwise you will be knocking off trichomes.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

I like your thinking but will go ahead and say no. Not to any extent we can perceive. Higher carbs and silica may give you " stronger/ more robust" buds if your looking for things to add to your regimen.

oxygen, sunlight, moister are some of the most damaging forces on earth along with unstable condition like changes in temperature.

Look into grove bags and rh% packs

4 Likes

What’s your shelf life currently?

1 Like

This topic is of interest to me, as a guy who’s growing medicine for when I get old. I don’t know what nutients will help weed last longer in storage. But – from what I’ve read, anyway – the most effective way to store it for long term use is to put it into tincture.

4 Likes

Nutrients can’t increase or decrease shelf life for cannabis but like others have mentioned, proper drying curing and storage can limit the breakdown over time. I usually make simple infused coconut oil with extra flowers and trim via crock pot method so might want to consider making oil or tincture for an alternative. I prefer oil over butter due to longer shelf life and more applications plus natural health benefits of coconut oil

4 Likes

I’ve seen more stale and degraded product then ever from people who use those rh% pouches , I know some people swear by them but they seem to make everything bland and uniform. They would work great for curing tobacco but cause more harm than good with cannabis in my opionion.
Some strains keep better then others , blue dream loses its luster after about 8 months but I have two strains that are good as the day they came down 12-14 months later. Terpene profiles, proper storage and curing along with genetics are the deciding factors when it comes to shelf life.
Thc converts to lesser desirable compounds over time, they have found some strains that lack the pathway and therefore the thc is stable but they are few and far between.
Somebody should do a large study based on carbohydrate load and other factors to see if it effects storage but as of now I don’t believe there is any solid science to confirm or deny the possibility of storage life being effected by the feeding regimen.

4 Likes

You can back fill jars with heavier than air inert gas like argon, i think you can use the ones from wine industry

1 Like

some strains store well and some do not.
Trick is fiding the ones you like that do store well for longer term.
I slow dry then cure in paper bag , then jar in mason jars. Generally an ounce to a pint jar
That gets stored in a dark wooden cabinet. Nothin fancy. No controls or RH packs… just properly cured bud in sealed glass.
After years of doing this I have come to my conclusion that some weed stores very well long term (flavorwise) and some does not. So I factor that into my consumption and consume certain strains before others. Most of my stash for the year comes from my greenhouse and I still have a good 1/2 pound or more in pint jars. Still smoking nicely 11 months from harvest.

7 Likes

After proper curing for a couple weeks, I will literally suck the air out of the jars of dried bud.
Like taking a bong hit. I place my face tight against the open jar’s rim and inhale w my mouth. Then quickly put the lid back on.
By removing most of the air from the jars, the buds will cure slower and stay “terpy” longer.

4 Likes

I used to know commercial dudes in the 215 era that would suck out all the air and pump in nitrogen gas in turkey bagged up lbs. It for sure seemed to give them a little more shelf life when they were stored in a cool dark place. Nothing crazy though, just a few months.

4 Likes

I don’t typically have that problem but a lot of folks on the west coast certainly do

Even though there isn’t much science behind this I believe it’s something that should be explored.(shelf life in general) And maybe not specifically nutrient regiments but more breeding programs that push the shelf life of cannabis. Jaeger is a strain that holds well for long periods of time and I’m sure there’s are countless others but
I see a lot of brown weed these days and one way of getting away from that is by evolving the techniques we use and thinking outside the box. Dry and cure for sure and everyone has their opinions on packaging and how to do so. But if there was a way to manipulate the plant tissues to prevent buds from oxidizing faster (via feeding programs) id certainly would like to know.

And another thought while I’m thinking far out the box here, what if there was a nutrient that would help improve the cure? Something that helped break down the sugar and starches, resulting in a faster cure time.

Innovation requires strange inquires. That’s all

2 Likes

Yeah, calcium.

4 Likes

Vacuum sealers for food have an accessory for vac sealing mason jars. Works like a champ and gives you a satisfying pop when you open a new one.

5 Likes

I miss when kids asked “Why are we learning this, we’re never going to use it”

Now they just affirm all knowledge to be useless.

I mean we don’t need the sciences to prove most people have never actually experienced a quality cured version of their favorite strain. Nutes don’t matter, all nutes matter, dry and cure, freeze… They all speak the same language… No clue the metabolism of Cannabis no clue the flavor or effect of strains they grow.

We need a new name for the potassium flush so the artifical algorithm people will stop being autotriggered by keywords.

1 Like

Those are a lot of words but I don’t know what you mean.

6 Likes

Vacuum seal and into the freezer, preventing the light from getting at it. It will be like the day you put it in. Move from freezer to fridge when you’re ready to take it out so you don’t get condensation. When you take it out of the fridge leave it out for an hour or so to come to room temp then you can jar. I was amazed with the flavor and the way the bud still looked fresh. I’m convinced it’s the way and will always freeze my headstash. Best of luck

4 Likes