No Genetic Difference Between "Indica" and "Sativa"

Dang @westcoastcroppers so every bud I’ve ever gotten in last couple decades is “bad experience”? Hundreds of sources, hundreds of different things, all “bad experience”?

It’s a “plot” now for the pharmaceutical companies? Nonsense.

Explain how one gets high on “phosphorous boosters”?

What does grape tylenol and McDonald’s have to do with anything?

Never gotten a headache or asthma from weed. Any weed. Anywhere.

Anyone who says they can “taste the chemicals” is just lying.

Yes yes everyone’s a connoisseur “I threw 60g of weed I paid for in the trash”

I swear you just conjure stuff up out of thin air. It’s probably boron deficiency, eh?

12 Likes

My opinion, it actually does make a difference; if you smoke a pure Indica and a pure Sativa, the effects should be different IMO.

There are other factors; sativas take “forever” to flower sometimes, so maybe they’re often pulled early which may equate to heady weed? Indicas as a general rule, are quicker, so maybe they go a lil more into the CBN before getting pulled?

Everything is hybridized nowadays, and in that sense, I can agree at this point indica/sativa makes less of or no difference.

2 Likes

They aren’t though. I’ve smoked “pure sativa” plants and actual afghanis. No real difference.

The last part I definitely agree with. No extreme examples of wideleaf and narrowleaf cannabis ever make it to the market, it’d be unsaleable. A pure Afghan, ugly and leafy as hell would never move at the dispo. Even NL5 x Haze would be considered a specialty “sativa” variety.

3 Likes

I think you gotta admit this probably needs the caveat of “no real difference for me” or are you saying the thousands of people who do experience different highs from different cultivars are just crazy/making stuff up/lying to themselves?

3 Likes

The placebo effect is very real, not saying that everyone is experiencing that, but in a lot of cases I would say it plays a strong role. Especially for those who claim it on modern hybridized strains.

1 Like

Not a big fan of the no true scotsman fallacy to dismiss others views and experiences out of hand.

2 Likes

I suspect for most of those people, it’s the combination of the power of suggestion coupled with placebo effect.

You think the high is “speedy” because someone told you it’s a sativa.

Give someone something “sativa” and tell them it’s “pure indica”. Ask them how they feel after. I have. People can be very suggestible. Moreso when they’re high lol.

4 Likes

While I agree, peoples views, perception, and even experiences, can and are altered by situation, stimulation, people around them, and things that they have read or seen. And while different body and brain chemistry can make things react differently for different people, does that mean the compounds are different on a scientific level?

Yeah, I mean, I’ve smoked weed for nearly 20 years now. Spent thousands of hours analyzing it and comparing it to many other psychoactive substances and states of mind and I can say unequivocally, at least for me , different cultivars have extremely different effects. The difference between a classic sativa strain, even a non-pure non-landrace like, idk, super silver haze when compared to say Black Domina is stark. I really do feel bad for anyone who doesn’t get a chance to experience the varied and nuanced responses of cannabis :disappointed:

13 Likes

Feels the same as people comparing effects of different types of liquor. They wanna believe something is there that isn’t. Is it in any way possible that is contributing?

Don’t need pity, I still like weed. Growing, smoking, breeding.

Seriously, try it. Give someone some “sativa”, tell them it’s a pure “indica” and see what they say when you ask about the “effects”. You may just be surprised how it goes.

3 Likes

I didnt say that. But there is a lot of dismissiveness and people thinking their view is absolutely right and if someone doesnt agree its just because theyre wrong due to not understanding, misinterpreting or other off hand dismissal. Havent seem any science dismissing anyone yet other than the genetic topic at hand in the article. Seen a bunch of supposition and guesses. And lot of confidence they are right to go with it.

Also more to effects than the scientific compounds in the plants that can justify different, valid, experiences from people other than dismissing them as wrong/placebo/other than what you, general thread you about everyone, believe to be true. Especially since you acknowledged and agreed that the plant compounds are not the end all and be all of experience and effect.

Just my .02. Watch out for correlation vs causation, bias and no true scotsman fallacy. Especially when few of us are actual scientists and researchers here.

4 Likes

Great discussions vernal and everyone else.

I’ve been smoking for 2 decades .
The first 18 years leading up to legalization - weed was weed. I got high end of story. In that story - many times I got too high - mellow - anxiety - dry mouth - creative - sleepy ect. I never correlated it to the specific weed. Just how my body reacted within the environment I was smoking .

Since I’ve been growing my own and reading about indica an sativa - I’ve been enjoying this fallacy of picking a sativa for my morning blaze and a indica for pain relief and afternoons / evening.

It’s been correlating well - I can smoke my sour jack / chem91 in the morning and im perfectly high and busy like a bee until 2pm . If I’m smoking a heavy indica early on in the day . The day drags on forever and I have no motivation to work - but the pain relief is evident - motivation zero. And i only smoke for work as it makes it tolerable and reduces my stress dealing with clients and employees .

Just around the end of the day il smoke my last puff (2pm)
And the high carries on to 4-5pm so I can come home and unwind . Ive noticed if I smoke the sativa stuff I am buzzing still till around 630-7 - home from work and I start cleaning - doing chores - fixing stuff - cooking with energy lol. If that indica is smoked at 2pm I am home lying in the bed - content with doing nothing.

Everyone is effected differently however. I smoked with a friend who was smoking a quarter a day . And my self only smoking 3/7 days a week. We smoked the same joint one morning and I hadn’t smoke since Thursday precious -3 days- and I was barely high - he was glued -squinty eyed and dumbed down and he said himself he was wrecked lol

11 Likes

I have been growing primarily more narrow leafed strains or hybrids recently (panama, super malawi haze and gg4ril x malawi) and I know for myself I have been trading flower with a friend who grows a lot of “indicas” just to have something to more effectively and quickly put me to sleep at night.

Can I fall asleep on the more narrow leaf strains? yeah its just a bit more difficult because generally they tend to make my mind wander a bit more as opposed to something Afghani dominant that feels more sedative to me. If people want to believe that’s just a placebo effect I honestly don’t care, I know what works for me.

As far as it being not running NLD to the same maturity as WLD as was mentioned earlier, that’s simply not the case in my own experience.

7 Likes

All I can say is that in my personal experience of smoking for 30+years and growing outdoor off and on for 20 of them and indoor for like 3 years. The only thing I’ve noticed personally is the only time I get a “racy” high is when the herb is immature. Doesn’t matter what it’s called indica/sativa or even space weed. If it’s mature I get high doesn’t matter the nomenclature. I have noticed though that concentrates are wasted on me. I call it weed crack. I get a good head buzz for a few minutes then I’m looking for flower to smoke. Edibles absolutely work with me at least the baked goods I make with my butter. Dispo ones not so much. And at least at my local dispo the flower all seems to taste and smell the same. I’ve been handed different strains and they all seem the same.
So I’m my opinion the indica/ sativa argument is moot to most growers and smokers today being as everything is hybridized.

5 Likes

I actually respect this line of thinking quite a bit lol. Love the directness.

“Could be, don’t know, don’t care, but it IS working”

7 Likes

This is how I’ve always kind of thought of it. Some of the longer flowering strains are just more “feral” and haven’t been domesticated as much.

Really I would think that if you wanted an example of how the same plant can be so different, let’s just take a look at a mustard plant. Same plant but it’s like 6 different vegetables, just after having had been grown to select specific traits. Longer internodal spacing, thinner leaves, more airy buds, this are all traits that we attribute to sativas, but they’re just a little more wild overall.

2 Likes

I think the double blind sampling is a great way to look at things like this, unfortunately with the way cannabis works and the length of the effects it is really hard to take something that is inherently subjective like how it makes you feel, and make that as objective as possible.

I also think that even if on a double blind test if everyone was giving similar answers you would still chalk it up to some kind of placebo, as I know from your statements you don’t believe in terroir or the Somms can taste the difference between the same varietals grown in different areas.

And to some extent, different alcoholic beverages do have different compounds that will effect how you feel. Not so much whiskey makes me angry, and tequila makes me go crazy type thing, but if I drink a bottle of wine I feel differently than if I drink a six pack of beer. Alcohol only makes up 5-15%ish of those things, it’s not the whole picture. At a point it becomes the overwhelming all encompassing part of the effect. You get drunk and you forget how bloated you feel from all the co2, or that you have a headache from too many fusels or something. Everything you put in your body effects how you body runs, so it’s important to look at the whole picture. That all in turn is part of you set and setting.

That being said, the terms indica and sativa are just kind of completely silly and inaccurate.

At some point in the interview below they discuss these classifications a bit and possible better ways to classify and talk about the plants(maybe be in the 2nd part, I dot recall).

8 Likes

Ate a whole bottle when I was four. They made me eat charcoal then i threw up a bunch. I was healthy before I ate it for sure!
I dont think Vernal is saying ALL weed is the same, but specifically Sativa and Indica and the classification (scientific or not). I agree is like saying grapes they took to South American are different. Maybe in taste and name but all of that is completely due to acclimating to the new environment. Eventually with the same strains being grown everywhere in the world it really will all be the same but acclimating and changing slowing if that makes any sense.

2 Likes

Okay, but there’s got to be some difference amongst them…

There’s banana, there’s red one, green one, yellow one and some but they all tastes different…
Also with mangoes and many other species of fruits, vegetables and leafy greens…

4 Likes

No placebo effect if they aren’t told what it is. Or they’re told the opposite of what they’re getting. I’d have 3 groups of stoners, one given something agreed on as “sativa” and told so, same bud given to group 2 but told it’s a “pure indica”, and one not told anything. Disguise it as a focus group for a dispensary brand testing their product.

But you’re right, I do think terroir and sommeliers are often nonsense built off little grains of truth. Yes this wine is sweeter because the grapes had more sugar for example. Yes this is more acidic, yes this is more tannic because we left the skins on etc. Saying you can taste the soil from that hillside in Brittany is a bit silly…IMO.

I too prefer ILE descriptions. Highland subtropical, highland equatorial, lowland high latitude, etc. I think it paints a much more accurate picture of morphology than the current “indica/sativa” dichotomy.

8 Likes