Anyone Breeding for Terpenes?

For me, the most important variable to a good marijuana strain is the terpene-profile. None of the other characteristics matter to me if the profile is wrong because if the profile is wrong I probably cant use the marijuana. Therefor, it doesnt matter how big the plant grows, how long it takes to flower, and so on, if it has the wrong profile.
While researching, I have found that you can cross two strains with similar terp-profiles and result in dominant terps that were not dominant in either parents profile.
Is anyone out there using actual terp-profile tests to determine their selective breeding yet?
Or, has anyone found a rhythm in the nature of creating exact profiles through selective breeding?
In my opinion this is the direction that is most important in the field at this time.

20 Likes

Breeding for terpenes? Interesting opinion.

Sure , lots of “breeders” use testing for terpene profiles.

Why not breed for effects vs terpenes?

6 Likes

The effects are from the terps.

3 Likes

All of them?

2 Likes

Yes, in combination with the thc and cbd’s and such.

3 Likes

Ok so you’re perfectly fine with little to no thc but high % Terps ?

Sorry for the 21 questions but I’ve had herb put me on my ass and give me great effects with hardly any terpenes. Just trying to understand the logic

6 Likes

No, that is not what I am saying.
Certain terp profiles will create certain effects such as body high vrs psychoactive head high. I can determine these sort of effects by looking at a terp profile. The THC is kinda like the amps in an electric circut. The higher the THC the stronger these types of effects that the terps are creating will effect the user.

4 Likes

When you read the percentage of terps, it is best to look at how each terp % relates to the other terps %. If you understand the effects that each terp gives your individual head soon the percentage and relation to other terps % will mean a lot.

2 Likes

For instance: Strains that have the same three dominant terps but arranged in different orders of dominance will have similar effects but not exactly the same; So something that goes
1.Myrcene
2. Caryophyllene
3. Pinene (or even Lemonene)

will be more relaxing than a strain that goes:

1. Myrcene
  2. Pinene (or even Lemonene)
  3. Caryophyllene

Terps like; Myrcene, Caryophyllene, Linalool and I think even Humulene will have a relaxing effect and the higher they are in relation to the other kinds of terps will tell how relaxing it will be.
Myrcene is in mangos, Linalool in in Lavender, Humulene is in Hops. All three are said to help one relax.
Certain terps will have high psychoactivity such as Terpinolene (which is most dominant in Durban Poison) and can cause many people to loose their wits.
And of course Pinene and Lemonene are some of the uplifting energetic ones. So if these two are at the top of the terp profile it probably wont give you couch lock.

8 Likes

Of course everyone’s head is different.
But here is where I start getting into theory:
If you smoke something uplifting like durban poison or something with lemonene at the top and without any myrcene all day, your receptors are going to be full of Lemonene or Terpinolene. So if you come home and smoke the second example above that has the lemonene in the 2nd tier instead of at the top and myrcene is 1st,

Myrcene
Pinene (or even Lemonene)
Caryophyllene

you are going to feel very relaxed and tell everyone that exampple #2 it is a heavy couch lock

Whereas, if you are someone who smokes the first example I gave above; with the Myrcene at the top of the profile and the lemonene in 3rd all day.
1.Myrcene
2. Caryophyllene
3. Pinene (or even Lemonene)

and then you come accross some of example #2 that has the Lemonene in the second tier.
Myrcene
Pinene (or even Lemonene)
Caryophyllene
You are going to feel the energetic boost of the lemonene compared to your regular dose of Caryophyllene in the second tier that your receptors are used to having from example #1 and you will not agree with the guy that says the second example is a heavy couch lock and he wont ever agree that it gives energy.

4 Likes

Breeding for effect is hard because we all feel different effects from cannabis because of our own biochemistry. When I see someone claiming that a certain cultivar is good for headaches and for depression etc…I know they are full of shit because what is good for my mental health and how I react to a cultivar may cause someone else a panic attack, what puts me to sleep won’t put someone else to sleep necessarily, what causes munchies for me may not cause munchies for someone else… . What I like and get really high from may not do the same for you but we can all smell a skunk so the terpenes are very important in terms of knowing what type of smoke I’m looking for. If it doesn’t smell and taste good I don’t care how high I get from it because I need a terpene profile that gets me excited to smoke. If something tastes and smells like hay it’s not getting smoked no matter how high it gets me. If I’m putting poison smoke in my lungs it’s going to be enjoyable at every level from terpene levels to how it effects me personally

6 Likes

like breeding for terpenes that are not known to cause cancer?

not all terpenes play nice. beta-myrcene is a cancer causing agent, for example.

5 Likes

I think beta-Myrcene cures cancer. It is the top terp in most heavy indicas which are known to be the best cancer curing strains.

1 Like

And yet here you have an article o. The health benefits of beta myrcene. FDA regulations apply to synthetic myrcene, not foods that naturally contain it. It’s unknown if the same effects can be caused by naturally occurring myrcene. Prop 65 nonsense, meant for protecting people from elevated levels of synthetic myrcene that could make its way into water systems via food waste is not the same as myrcene in cannabis or a mango.

What Is Myrcene?

Myrcene (murh-seen) or beta-myrcene is the most aromatic, abundant, and notably potent terpene found in cannabis. This delicate and naturally occurring monoterpene conveys an earthy, spicy, clove aroma, and has tropical undertones in taste that gives cannabis a mildly sweet yet funky flavor profile.

Myrcene is found in high amounts in cannabis. In fact, according to a Swiss study myrcene can make up to 65% of the terpene profile. Of course, these levels will vary greatly based on the cultivators grow methods, climate and so on. One reason myrcene is so important is that it’s the chemical precursor to many of the other terpenes. And the myrcene content of any given cannabis plant determines whether the specific plant will be categorized as an Indica or Sativa. Myrcene levels in cannabis above 0.5% result in the well-known ‘couch lock’ effect of classic Indica strains. The higher the level, the heavier the couch lock. If the myrcene content is less than 0.5% it gives the opposite – energizing and joyful Sativa-like experience.

You’ll also find myrcene in plants like lemongrass, eucalyptus, and ylang-ylang, herbs like thyme, basil, and hops, and fruit like mangoes.

Heard the legend that mangoes increase your high?

It’s a common urban legend that if you eat a fresh, ripe mango about 45 minutes before you smoke cannabis that it allows you to feel the effects more quickly, more intensely, and will last longer in duration. The only question is, what are the real facts?

After searching for reputable studies, here is what was found, there are no peer-reviewed studies reporting proof that mangoes do intensify the effects of cannabis or that myrcene lowers resistance at the blood brain barrier (BBB). One study reported, “myrcene has been shown to enhance transdermal absorption”, and “one mechanism that would be of particular note in cannabis is its claimed effect on the permability

of cell membranes, particularly the blood brain barrier, increasing transport of cannabinoids into the brain; however, perusal of claimed references in the popular literature shows a lack of hard data regarding brain transport” and that more research is needed before it can be conclusive. Something worth mentioning is another monoterpene that has some of the same effects as myrcene called borneol, has been shown to lower resistance at the blood brain barrier.

Although there are dozens and maybe hundreds of online and even print pieces circulating the mango rumor, it remains unfounded. So, unfortunately, for now, there are just anecdotal reports, but it is worth pointing out that many cannabis users have reported this phenomenon.

What Does Myrcene Do?

So far, there have been some outstanding discoveries that indicate the health benefits of myrcene.

Some of the scientifically proven medical benefits include but not limited to the following.

• Anti-inflammatory – powerful, inhibits the production of certain inflammatory markers, boost blood circulation to affected area
  • Analgesic – offers a soothing sensation which contributes to pain relief benefits, blocked by naloxone (suggests being opioid-like)
  • Sedative – soothes the mind, relieves stress, and promotes sleep quality
  • Gastrointestinal – prevents peptic ulcer disease
  • Antimutagenic – ability to inhibit tumor growth
  • Antibiotic – has a prominent impact on the immune system, slows bacterial growth
  • Anti-catabolic – has the ability to slow down/halt cartilage destruction and osteoarthritis progression
  • Anti-diabetic – may help manage blood sugar levels comparable to metformin
  • Antispasmodic – powerful muscle relaxant, reduces spasm as well as the body’s reaction to them

Myrcene and the Entourage Effect:

Extensive research on terpenes conducted in 2011 systematically observed what lead researcher, Dr. Ethan Russo, called “phytocannabinoid-terpenoid synergy.” The detailed study, published in the British Journal of Pharmacology was titled “Taming THC: Potential Cannabis Synergy and Phytocannabinoid-terpenoid Entourage Effects.”

Russo’s research concluded that myrcene interacts with certain cannabinoids, producing therapeutic benefits. Specifically, they found the following targeted effects in their clinical studies:

• Myrcene + CBD: reduced pain/inflammation and fights cancer
  • Myrcene + THC: reduced pain, muscle relaxant, and exhibited sedative properties
  • Myrcene + CBG: showed potential to relieve the effects of cancer
  • They also corroborated earlier research of the analgesic and sleep aid effects.

Are there risks with Myrcene?

Although myrcene has a range of potential benefits, some researchers have also linked it with an increased risk of cancer.

A 2010 report for the National Toxicology Program found that high doses of myrcene had carcinogenic (cancer-causing) effects on rats. The study found evidence that male rats, especially, had higher rates of kidney and liver cancer after using myrcene.

Despite these worrying findings, there is currently no evidence that myrcene causes cancer in humans. However, in 2018, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) removed it from its list of approved additives in light of the research.

There is some dispute regarding whether the government should list myrcene as a carcinogenic substance or not. Until scientists conduct further research, it is impossible to comment with certainty about how safe myrcene is.

13 Likes

There are most definitely plants that are generally agreed upon to he exceptionally potent.

Yes but people still feel cannabis different. What’s potent to you may cause sleep in one person and anxiety in another because of our own biological make up. It can be potent but the effects will be felt different between two people

My initial thought is that these terps work in unison with other compounds such as THC and that putting high levels of pure myrcene in rats without the other components in food and pot is very different than using marijuana with meycene at the top or the terp profile. I still think it cures cancer. good info.

5 Likes

it was ID’d as a known carcinogen in 2014.
https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/crnr/notice-intent-list-beta-myrcene

there are lots of articles, mostly related to high temp usage, that clearly state that the chemical nature of a terpene changes when heated beyond a point. it become dangerous. it changes to a cancer causing agent. there is other stuff in bud that does it too creating things like benzene.

4 Likes

the terps also burn at different rates

Remember when they tested monkeys with cannabis smoke and they didn’t allow the monkeys to get oxygen and only breathe in the smoke and then said the smoke kills brain cells? I remember

2 Likes