No Genetic Difference Between "Indica" and "Sativa"

I think this shows the beauty of this plant.

EVERYONE here is " right " and I can certainly agree with the the thread title. Weed is a very personal experience as it effects everyone differently. Just because my experience may differ from someone else’s doesn’t mean anyone is wrong. Just different experiences.

3 Likes

Its really not silly at all. French (red) wines are always more earthy for example.
The wine maker is more responsible for the ABV% and the earth rather then the actually dirt used. I think this reflects how differently were all growing our cannabis.

2 Likes

I could give you 20 different unlabelled samples of Chardonnay. 5 from Cali, 5 from Chile, 5 from Australia, and 5 from France…and you couldn’t pick the French ones out more than statistical chance would dictate.

Everyone says they can, but it never stands up to blind tastes.

6 Likes

Id be up for the challenge. Lol

1 Like

True lol but after 15 samples you’re gonna be in no shape to judge I guess haha.

4 Likes

I mean they already proved it in the 70s

2 Likes

Chile over oaks their chards, pretty easy to tell unoaked from French oak and French from just lightly oaked american or incredibly toasted american oak. Russian river valley charts are much different in Sonoma. Pick a ifferent grape am3d for sure you would be right I probably couldnt tell.

4 Likes

Alright we’ll do something heavier like Cabernet.

I love Scotch. Too much for my wallet and head. But, I don’t think Scotch can’t be replicated. Well…legally you couldn’t call it scotch but you get the point haha. I think you could replicate an Islay if you were inclined to. I just need barrels and peat fires and time lol.

2 Likes

if everything people experience is just Placebo. Why are there still Pharmacies extracting compounds? They just could fill the pills with white powder and a bit of bitter Taste… lol.

Placebo might exist, but i dont think placebo can be replicated troughout a Study on each participant.

Placebo is a not-constant thing i guess. (this means its not on the level of taking an actual substance, like say morphine, and you can have surgery without you even noticing. This cant be done only cause somebody told you ,you will become painfree and will sleep in a convincing setup/manner) .

1 Like

I remeber a college, i think he was into hypnosis thingy…
He told us he will make us believe a Joint without Grass IS with grass inside. He said some couple words, like Hypnotists do…, everyone watching and listening to him…

Well… so half. I must say, the Tabac Joint really felt like a Joint a bit, he really did it quiet well… But it wasnt fullon … It wasnt hundret percent really. But still noticable?

But he did it so good that i had to ask him for dooing yet another Joint…

1 Like

Maybe they should try smoking it instead of looking at it through a microscope lol. The magic happens when you set it on fire :fire: I dunno, it’s worked for me enough over the last 25 years that I’ve never thought about calling BS on it. I’ve never thought of indicas and sativas as being genetically different from each other either, though.

I’ve always looked at sativas as being cannabis that has acclimated to warmer equatorial areas with inherently more sunlight, and indicas as cannabis that has acclimated farther away from the equator in less warm areas with inherently less sunlight. They grow different, have different compositions, get me high or stoned different. But they are both still cannabis.

Being genetically the same does not preclude them from looking and growing differently, or having different effects. So while I agree that the genetic difference between sativas and indicas doesn’t exist, in my experience, there most definitely is a difference between sativas and indicas and the effects that they produce. It’s not something you can always bet on, but it has worked pretty well for me.

3 Likes

But something like the grape being sweeter grown one place compared to the other, or one year to the next……that’s exactly what terroir is. The plant expressing differently due to being grown in different environment, everything from soil to latitude/sun exposure and weather. These make the same varietals express differently.

Maybe it’s as simple as more sugar content sometimes, others maybe it’s a particular mineral profile in the soil that translates to certain flavor notes or mouthfeel. Maybe colder nights boost Anthocyanin production, or other conditions promote production of other protective measure.

Again, I think that this can often be over exaggerated or romanticized (although there is a romantic aspect to it) for marketing purposes, but it all attributes to the final wine in that bottle, even if genetically those grapes are no different.

Then a somm takes a lot of knowledge and keen well trained senses to make an educated guess based on how that grape expresses different places and processes/traditions typical of those regions. Often this guess is presented with much pretension and overconfidence.

Similarly if someone handed you a trimmed up bud to smoke(especially if a cut you were familiar with) you would be able to infer many different things about it. You don’t know a lot of these things for sure, but you could make some pretty good educated guesses.

I was at a whisky convention years ago and tried a Japanese “scotch.” It was ok. Not superb, but ok.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve yet to have found a “scotch” that tastes just like Lagavulin 16 or w.e you enjoy most from an american, japanese or other producer. Not saying it can’t necessarily be done but I haven’t seen it.

1 Like

They’re sure working really hard at it haha. I’d try more but the price point is usually above a lot of my favorite (affordable) Scottish Scotches. Scotty scotty scotch scotch. I’ve only tried Suntory as far as Japanese stuff goes…are they pretty much just doing highland style? Then again I usually opt for an Islay and IDK if they’ve even really tried? I’m sure someone has. That, and the 10+ year lag time between bottling and making.

Scotch world is nuts and it’s a pay to play hobby for sure hahaha. I have a real hard time dropping more than $50-60 on a bottle of ANYTHING. I like drinking hobbies because people don’t get mad at you if it’s classy.

@api312 I’ve never tried anything like an Islay…yet. I’m sure someone COULD…I’d sure like to try it. Lagavulin is great but I’m Laphroaig 10 all the way.

3 Likes

It was the kind of place where you’d give tickets for 1/4 ozs so you could try everything but not get too wasted.

It was awhile back and I don’t really remember highland whatever (I had a lot of tickets) but mostly what I remember was “meh.” It was ok but not as good as the real stuff.

Mostly I was interested in the rye that was 100% rye. Very nice stuff.

3 Likes

I used to be the same way and not be able to notice a difference between indica, sativa or different strain but I took a break for a couple years and when I came back I could definitely tell lol

3 Likes

I think a lot of it is exactly that, peoples personal perception and resistance over a period of time. I’ve oftern read comments like" its not as good/dank etc as it used to be".

2 Likes

I think it makes way more difference growing than it does smoking. Tropical varieties = looser buds, taller plants and longer flower times handles heat and humidity ok. Temperate/mountain weed= shorter plants, denser buds, shorter flowering time.

2 Likes
3 Likes