No-Till & Organics Q&A's

Growmies of the world…UNITE!!! YEEEOOOWWWW…

Just another vid from Kali… Add some fungi to your teas… :slight_smile:

K.

5 Likes

Just what I was looking for, thank you very much.

2 Likes

How long will a Tea like that last? If I made 50 gallons of that, it would last through two lifetimes.

2 Likes

Depends on how well you can keep an environment that is condusive to them shagging a lot. If they keep breading probably indefinitely, like some yeast strains.

For me, it would probably be a month, so I didn’t use as much ingredients, with the stuff I just started. See how it goes first, before I get carried away lol, I can always make more, later on.

1 Like

As with most teas they should be used as soon as possible iv heard even with massive amounts of air bubbled into teas especially in bacterial dominant teas they can still go anaerobic in a few days if conditions are great for growth, not sure about fungal teas though I’d think they’d be similar . I’d had done an experiment with teas where I had left 5-10 ml sample in a test tube and check it after a week a heavy sulfur gas was emitted I was shocked that the test tubes didn’t exploded and found virtually no bacteria or any other critters excepts for some Protozoa with the microscope which leads me to believe they can withstand anaerobic conditions as well.

2 Likes

That’s good to know Tiny, I will use up the teas with in 48 hours, I was thinking more about keeping the bacteria/fungi alive and growing in the compost, minerals and oats mixture. If I just add more compost and mineral oat mix, to what’s already growing in it it should just keep making more faster, than starting from scratch every time?

I need to check my second batch of Labs I made, they are in bottles in the coolest spot in the house, don’t have room in the fridge, so I have to keep, removing the gas build up. I don’t want the bottles to explode lol that would be messy.

2 Likes

Yup you got it! Propagate your fungi in the compost with oatmeal works great have heard this from several sources now also use small sticks , wood and such stuff with more lignin in it to give fungi more long term food and keep it moist but not drenched … need to wet my pile and make more before fall

1 Like

I just put a couple of rotted wood logs in my worm bin as well as a nice lot of charcoal from the fire pit in the back yard. I will put some rotted wood with my oat mixture as well. Would malted barley work as well as the oats?

2 Likes

I’d just stick with oatmeal if your trying to grow fungi however If your making beer the spent mash that had residual sugars in it will make the worm population go like crazy they love that shit ! If ya know a home brewer or brewery just ask for some spent grains … hell make some yourself he’ll it’s not hard! Mix 1 quart of water to 1 lb of barley that crushed hit about 170 degrees with your initial water mix in with grains should stabilized at 150-155 maintain for 1 hour there you just made your mash conversion it will be sweet and now it’s called wort! You just made the first steps in beer making! Congratulations!

2 Likes

I started drinking my first batch of beer I made the other day.

Its a beer kit, so its just a big bag of wort that you sling the yeast in, and ferment, so no useful left overs, for the garden unfortunately. My beer is lively, lost half of the first bottle all over myself lol. If I chill it well it doesn’t blow up when opened, too much, I might reduce my priming sugar when filling the bottles on the next run. They recommend 1 and a 1/4 cups of maltodextrin but I substituted it for organic semi refined cane sugar the corn sugar is probably GM and full of pesticide and herbicide. Probably a much higher food level for the yeast. I am going to test the alcohol level on the next batch as well its supposed to only be 5% but after 2X 500 mil bottles I had a good buzz on lol.

4 Likes

Yes you can use malted barley to encourage fungal mycelium growth, but the oatmeal is cheaper.

I’ve heard that the yeast cake at the bottom makes an excellent soil amendment, but have yet to try it…

FYI maltodextrin is made from malted barley, essentially a dehydrated wort. It’s almost impossible to find organic barley, but I dont think it requires many pesticides/herbicides to grow it.

2 Likes

I have organic malted barley, probably about 30lbs left atm, I was lucky, the other beer shop I use for buying it, where you make beer from scratch, sold me all he had left, 35lbs for $20, no one bought it, and it was past the sell by date. Are there different types of maltodextrin? The guy at the wine/beer kit shop, said it was made from corn, which put me off straight away.

I just googled it, it can be made from corn, rice, potatoes, or any plant material with high amounts of starch.

I have lots of yeast sediment from making wine, would a bit of alcohol hurt the bacteria or worms in my soil bin, do you think?

3 Likes

My bad, I rarely use the stuff. Looks like it’s any malted grain can be used…

I wouldnt think it would. Everything I have seen says to dry it before adding it to soil. That would eliminate most of the alcohol as it will evaporate.

3 Likes

Excellent thanks for the info, more diverse foods for my bacteria, I will set up a drying bucket, I have a batch of wine just about to get racked up, which is where most of the sediment is created. Just put another batch of wine on which is sitting in the flower room making CO2 for the flower plants, and another batch of beer on in a cupboard, as it needs a cooler temp to ferment. The daughters boyfriend, who doesn’t like beer tried it, and now wont leave it alone :frowning: , which is typical of my luck lol. I made him pay for this batch lol.

4 Likes

Ahh thatS funny heard of stories like that iirc 1 cup of corn sugar ( priming sugar) per 5 gallons of beer is the standard for carbonation less volume higher carbonation as is probably your case here I don’t like priming tabs where ya throw 3-4 in in each bottle and cap is inconsistent IMO

1 Like

Cane sugar has a higher fementability and tends to give off flavors in the final beer dry malt powder or corn sugar are your best options thats probably why it went all over the place!

1 Like

Well the flavour is good, I will cut back on the amount and leave the 1/4 cup out next run, and see how that works.

2 Likes

So, my plants seem to be super slow during flower. It’s week 7 and the buds are super small. Have I missed something or is it just genetics? (These were freebies from akbeanbrain and I’m not sure what the cross is)

Grown in living soil that I mixed
750w cobs
73.6ppfd
~720ppm (pretty low)
21-26°C
60-65%rh

3 Likes

Looks to me to be genetics, large internode spacing. Everything else seems to be in acceptable ranges.

4 Likes

Yeah looks like you are doing everything right, are you adding bacteria in teas?

1 Like