Not recovering

Some may have different experiences but personally aside from some springtails, which are harmless, I haven’t had any issues in 12 years of using coco

2 Likes

Got my res changed down to 66. Gonna try to keep it there gonna. Big ups on the mg excess I just looked it up and I think you may be right. So I guess I’ll be staying up late to do another res change :neutral_face::upside_down_face:

Oh well, not like I have anything better to do.

2 Likes

Check out the hempy buckets. Epic, I run them amd I’ve been tempted to try hydro, but reservoir temperatures have kept me on the straight and narrow to hempy happiness. :v::peace_symbol::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I had more problems adding Mg than leaving it alone. Plants need relatively little and the excess isn’t harmless. But you see so many people saying “add epsom” for whatever reason.

It’s very difficult to keep small volume of water like one bubble bucket cold. Or, it’s easy with bottles of frozen water, but hard to keep up on.

If you’re fighting warm reservoir temps in winter, I’d suggest either doubling down on DWC and getting a full size reservoir and chiller…pivoting to an active hydro setup like flood and drain that isn’t so dependent on reservoir temps, or like @nefrella said, swing on over to hempies. I use hempies exclusively. Easy, cheap, modular, intuitive, no moving parts.

4 Likes

I run dwc without a chiller and don’t have issues. Temps stay in the 70s. I also add a pool shock solution to the res every 4 days. Sterile res is the way to go. Everyone I know other than a lucky couple that runs beneficials has problems with rot and other issues

1 Like

I see root rot from high temp water, this has been blocking both water intake and nutrient up take.
Link to Old school OG and here Team OG
Everything else you are doing is good, plant needs the right attention to recovery properly, for as long as you grow follow the way that works best for you, enjoy your journey, hydro is not complicated until you start trying to achieve someone else’s results.

3 Likes

I like roots that sparkle and shine. Yours look kind of…trashed? I mean…they looked like someone put slime all over them. Yo, I’m on slime patrol. 68F/18C water temps, no benificials, no peroxide, no bleach etc. Just wholesome water with nutrients in it.

7 Likes

This is the biggest obstacle for me doing dwc as well…difficult to maintain.

Moving the lights up definitely helped. Woke up a few minutes ago waters 69. About to go pick up some bleach and peroxide
then give this sterile thing a shot. Just not sure which is better. Should I do a root rinse in peroxide solution then use bleach in the res?

2 Likes

Those are some pretty roots. Last time I didn’t use bennies or bleach/peroxide and had great results. Roots still looked brown because I was running ff trio and big bloom is basically a compost tea so it turns everything brown(probably where the brown came from in this, switched back over to ff trio for a week while I was sick with covid thinking it would simplify things)

1 Like

I’m definitely considering either rdwc, ebb & flow or hempy buckets next time. Having independent reseviors for each plant is a giant pain in the ass. I lost 7 out of 8 just being sick af and not having the energy/strength to keep up with everything.

Hempies are easier in many ways but you can’t automate. Still a decent amount of labor.

Easiest for you would probably be a flood and drain table with fabric pots and whatever media you choose.

1 Like

Don’t use peroxide or bleach. Water only.

So should I just use calmag instead of epsom salt? I’ve got a few bottles of the stuff. Or would that be to much calcium since I’m using cal nit?

I’d favor calmag over just epsom. You could probably also up the calnit a little to compensate.

Got her in ro water with 0.25ml/gal clorox unscented bleach right now ph 5.7, got another bucket ready to go same 0.25ml/gal bleach ratio swapped out epsom salts for calmag 5ml/gal masterblend at 2.4g/gal, cal nit 2g/gal ph 5.6 gonna switch out buckets in another 6 hours or so.

I really hope this works. From now on I’m keeping an eye on my res Temps and swapping them out twice a week. Until I can get setup with either rdwc or ebb and flow.

If it isn’t flowering i’d just use peroxide, and then next flush reintroduce beneficial bacteria from either mycozorrae additives or if entering in flower toss in some microbial mass or somethin.

Give it a few days and keep an eye on temps, the roots recover fairly quickly once conditions improve. Should be nice and fishbone-y white new growth shortly. There may be some debris from the dead/dying roots as well may need a swap out in a few days.

The bleach will dissipate within a few days (but a little will convert to chloramine, which is more persistent), make sure to do a follow-up dose with the next reservoir change.

I strongly recommend running sterile all the time, but it’ll be less important as the temperatures go down.
Temps were likely your main issue, the nutrient issues and live reservoir just exacerbated the symptoms.

2 Likes

ok I got a question. Why are people telling him to put peroxide or bleach in his hydro system? Anyone can foot this question, in fact, everyone who said OP should do something like that, please explain.