Power outages and dwc

Powers out on my block, how long can plants live in standing water?

4 Likes

72 hrs tops…

4 Likes

Thanks, I’m a bit less worried now, I’m sure they’ll have it up before then.

1 Like

is it dwc or rdwc? RDWC plants can peg off in just a few hours if the roots are very dense. Not an expert at all but it’s something to do with the lack of oxygen that kills off the plants and rdwc provides it via the water movement. I used to do dwc and had an airstone on a UPS to dump into the bucket to keep it going for when that happened.

2 Likes

A good thing to have in place incase this happens again is a 12v battery and a sub pump for a boat.

7 Likes

Regular dwc. Turns out a power line split in half down the block from me. This might take awhile. This plants in recovery from a bad case of pithium too. And I’ve got a dozen seedlings going in rockwool on a heatmap :grimacing: hope this bit of cold/dark doesn’t kill them :expressionless: worst case scenario I see if a friend will let me put them up at their place if it’s not fixed in a few hours(the seedlings anyways)

1 Like

Well hopefully you make it. I know the pain of losing a bunch of plants to power outages

Well, most of the town is without power. Probably won’t be back on till midnight or so according to the electric company :grimacing: went over to my moms house to charge my phone and vape, hers is out too but I can at least use her computer to charge it.

If you have a 12v pump you can recirculate the solution to oxygenate it every 12 hrs or so.

I kicked a breaker last night and that scared me could only image most of city power being out is worse. Good luck and fingers crossed for you

Came back on for 5 minutes and another branch fell on the power line(unoccupied rental property with another scummy landord that doesn’t take care of it). God damn does the south have shitty fucking infrastructure. At $0.10kw the electric company has no excuse to not be using the same reinforced lines they do up north. I used to live 15 minutes from lake Michigan and way worse winter weather rarely caused power outages. I’m probably more upset than is reasonable but I’ve got so much riding on this grow and am freaking the fuck out about it. Every god damn time I move forward in life something has to push me all the fucking way back. I ate pretty much nothing but rice and noodles and generic food pantry canned meat for the past 2 months getting everything set up paying the outrageously high electric bill. Fuck. Sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent.

1 Like

Know anyone with a generator to loan? I am looking at a whole house one. I live way off the road and don’t get back up until every line with the most folks are going.

3 Likes

It’s back on for now as of 10 minutes ago. Only person I know with a generator is my neighbor but he needs that for his cpap machine. Much as he likes my weed I think he likes breathing at night a little bit more.

I’m asleep, lights kick on in my bedroom, waking me up, me initially angry about the sudden wake up : " huh, dammit wtf… oh shit I have power, fucking sweet":sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Buy a Generac 22-24 KVW Generator with an automatic transfer switch and never worry about power outages again!

11 Likes

That is what I am looking at. I have a bro-in-law that is an electrician. I have been waiting for over a year.

3 Likes

Yeah well in my experience…most electricians fuck up installing these generators.:flushed:
Most of my service calls are from this. I am a Generac certified technician for air cooled and liquid cooled generators as well as a master electrician.
Anyways…they are nice as hell. Good choice. It also adds 25000 onto your homes value for a 13000 investment.
One thing I would recommend if you have ballasted lighting…ie hps, mh lights…I would use a time delay restart to avoid hot starts and burn downs for my grow lights.
They are also about 16 weeks out on new generator orders to be made and filled…so unless per chance you find someone holding one…it won’t happen soon anyways.

4 Likes

So you are coming to hook it up in 20 weeks :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, that ain’t happening lol. I have $6 in my bank account that I need to stretch till the 1st of next month lol. I’m just gonna hope we don’t get anymore crazy weather.

3 Likes

I just passed the 4 day mark, no power, been keeping an eye on them and leaves are out and up. Low 20’s tonight, teens tomorrow night single digits mon and tue.nites. its only been this cold 3 ties i can remember, damn the luck. Putting a small propane heater on them tomorrow night and then 2 more nights
Our record all time low is 5 and we might beat it this freeze

3 Likes

What part of the south you in? I went through 5 hurricanes in 2 months and never lost power at all. You stressed yourself way more then needed. I had a plant in a small dwc bucket that turned out to be male and unhooked it from the system. No air no fresh nutes and it took the thing a week and a half to die and then it was because it ran out of nutes not from no air going to the roots. Don’t sweat it you’re gonna give yourself a stroke. I did read where you had root issues prior so I understand the great another fucking mess to deal with. If you run sterile res give them a little pool shock to kill any bacteria that had a chance to grow.
I use a stock solution made with 2g of pool shock in a gallon of water then use that solution at 3ml per gallon. I’ve had some small buckets get real funky from a clogged air stone and a res change with the shock cures the problem and the plants recover nicely

Ps most of the folks here in the south could give less than a rats ass about anything in the north and all that will get ya with most folks is told if it was so damn great go back without any helpful tips.

2 Likes