Nutrient lockout or PH issue?

There havent been much growth the last days and some leafs,mostly lower, has started yellowing.

It seems Ive run into either Nutrient lockdown or PH issues, or both.

Ive only been feeding them organic nutrients and i believed these are hard to overdose but i suspect that might be the case.
Uploading: IMG_20230613_202508.jpg…

My cheepo 3 in 1 soil meter says PH is around 7,5 which is a little high, but high enough to cause lockout?

My tap water is hard but chlorine free and at around 7,2 in PH

Should i rinse them out with a spray pistol hose with tap water ( the easy option)

Or maybe give each pot 3-5 liters of winegar 6,5 ph’ed water?

Im not sure what and why but Ive been giving plenty of organic nutrients and addons and yesterday i also gave each pot between a tea and a table spoon worth og ash from the fireplace, which is suppose to be somewhat alkaline

Im aware that flushing with water will remove most of the microbes Ive been getting in the soil and that it compacts the soil.

But i have to stop this yellowing before it gets too bad

1 Like

I’m certain you’ve caused a lock out with too much nutrient and if your problem didn’t show up because of that, the high alkaline wood ashes certainly did. I’d flush them out or you will loose them all. Seedlings don’t need very much nutrient at all and very small amounts when they do start to feed. You’ve got a ton of perlite in that substrate, don’t worry about compacting it.

Me personally, I’d ditch the hose water. That looks like bag soil and it’s got cal/mag buffer of dolomite lime. By adding more alkaline carbonates via tap water your going to accumulate your carbonate values and consequently fixation of pH. Use purified water either from an Reverse Osmosis purification (approximately 20ppm) or vapor distilled (0ppm)
Me personally for the flush purposes I’d use 0ppm as it can grab and help remove more of your accumulated elements in the soil. Then resume with RO water normally.

All small seedling need is a pinch of worm shit or very small pinch of something like insect frass as a sprinkle on top and watered in. When they’re this young they need to find their feet so to say, to set out roots and become established. Worm casting is ideal for such an application, it’s gentle and won’t burn, and adds back microbes.

6 Likes

What soil are you using? Different substrates allow different approaches with nutrient management. If it’s peat based it has a high CEC and will hold onto elements longer so you can skip daily feedings and take a feed, water water feed approach. Coco coir has a lower CEC and can be fertigated daily with multiple irrigations. Each parent material has its own pro/con and your approach to irrigation/ nutrient management must correlate with it for vigorous healthy growth and daily gains.

Organic nutrients need to be broken down first by the microbes so throwing more of anything to frequently will only cause problems. Even Teas can at times do more harm than good.

1 Like

i have been giving them a high dose of organic nutrients and addons at least half of the waterings and then tap water for the other half and some foliar feeding also

my soil is mixed from plantbag ( with peatmoss) mix with potting soil, perlite, a little sand and like free 20% compost from the municipality
Would a flush and then foliar feeding them fix it ?

Are they just getting too much water and kinda drownin?

1 Like

i dont think so no.
ive been monitoring soil humidity closely ans they are also placed on some netting that allows for easy run off.
im also thinking its nutrient lock out due to too much fertilizer.

ill flush them and then foliar feed for some time to see if they improve.
the PH is slightly alkaline according to my cheepo meter but i dont think thats the main problem

thank you both for helping

2 Likes

They look priddy small to be feeding them nuts yet

2 Likes

First step: take a step back.

You are bombing them with nutes. Compost in soil adding organic nutes and foliar feeding. Too much.

Also those pH meters are shit. I have them both and they are not to be trusted.

I’d flush everything with properly treated water (I’d recommend the drops to test) and then add just the lightest bit of feed. A quick reset.

9 Likes

No foliar unless it’s fresh aloe vera or something like superthrive to help alleviate stress.

@Foreigner said it best. Good advise there.

1 Like

i flushed them earlier today with tap water.
purified water is at least a dollar pr liter here/ 4 usd a gallon and i dont have an RO filter so i hope the flush will help.

no foliar feeding as of yet

1 Like

Wood ashes are very high in pH. Either way, you would have wound up in this situation before long. Keep any AACT drenching to a once weekly application. It can definitely be over done, especially if your adding molasses to the brew.
If you want to supplement potassium, coconut water is an excellent way to do that. Especially for small plants, it alot more gentle than potash on your pH.

The flush certainly will help I’d just be mindful of carbonate accumulation. Mabey leave a bucket outside to collect rain water, that can be your water source for in-between watering with the hose. Refrain from any fertilizing until they look like they need something. Every situation is different due to varying environmental influences but the plants will show when they need food. Id estimate waiting 1 week possibly less. Remember they have nutrients in the compost already in the mix.
You seem like a very attentive grower so I’m confident you’ll see the color lighten up before they starve and yellow out.

2 Likes

A little video update.

The water flush seems to work.

The plants are greening up again :partying_face::shamrock::heart:

2 Likes

To be honest have never checked PH --in all my cultivating years - but do understand why folks do When ever I have a plant issue “flushing” is a must (as mentioned) and generally take care of the issue after re-adjusting nutrients if needed. (Remember – Once one “feeds” it take about 1 week for the plant to up-take it)

2 Likes