Nute burn or deficiency?

Hey everyone, need some help with diagnosing this issue.

I’m in 25 gallon no till pots that were recently filled with some fresh and spent soil. I don’t think I reamended enough but the ladies were looking beautiful up until a week ago when they started to show signs of a deficiency. It started with the yellowing of the edges on new growth so I thought it may have been mag so I fed with fulvic and kelp, but it seemed to make things worse. I also thought it could have been pH so I fed recharge but that didn’t help either and probably has nothing to do with pH since I’ve been having no issues for over a month. It’s not light or circulation related. Can’t seem to figure it out. There’s a lot of leaf cupping, yellowing of the edges, irregular growth tips and some burnt tips. Any ideas?

5 Likes

Hello @OrganicMids. It looks like a potassium deficiency to me.

7 Likes

I might add that it’s probably not actually deficient in potassium, but rather more likely an excess of another element (s) inhibiting the uptake of K.

9 Likes

I was thinking that could be a possibility but I didn’t add anything new, was feeding plain water when the yellowing started. What do you think should be the next plan of action?

2 Likes

Without ph testing your soil it’s hard to say. Ph can shift over time, causing nutrients to be locked out.

2 Likes

When is the last time your ph tester was calibrated? I’d try adding some azomite to see if its a micronutrient issue…

Looks potassium deficiency but also looks like those lights are quite a bit too close or too hot.

Potassium def causes yellowing of leaves but usually starts with older leaves (as the plant moves K to younger growth) not tops, Iron def also causes interveinal chlorosis and could be the culprit

3 Likes

Hard to say without knowing exactly what the plant has been fed as well as soil composition.

1 Like

If it’s an organic grow… the million dollar question is how to add iron without man made chemicals.

1 Like

I would say a flush, but being it’s no till, I’m not sure if that’s an option? :thinking:

1 Like

I was going to recomend the same thing at first, but without knowing the actual issue it’s hard to say if that will help or hurt. I almost lean towards a ph issue causing a lockout.oh, I’m leaning towards zinc or copper lockout, which is usually ph related.

2 Likes

I think I found the issue. My sensor for my exhaust was outside the tent. The current temperature in the tent is 86, def gotta bring that down.

3 Likes

Ever heard of: “Praying for Magnesium” your leaf is saying just that with the upward curl

2 Likes

No I don’t think that’s it. They get kelp quite often. My temps were pushing 87, think it was heat stress.

1 Like

It is clearly a deficiency, my bet is Some of the rates in your Calcium, potassium,magnesium is quite high and low on the others,

If you’re in no till and want to do that on the most natural way check for WSC(water soluble calcium)and WSCM (water soluble magnesium)on google you will find some ways to do that, the con it takes a bit if time in order to be done but easy though.

Alternatively, get some soluble salts and try to amend it as fast as possible after that, build your soil by adding a more wide variety of amendments, top with a cup earthworm castings and insect frass each month and depending on your grow phase a blend according to either veg or flowering time.

1 Like

He’s correct, obviously praying for mag, but he has a toxicity look of high feed rates on other foods. Lights to close to plants. Heat stress is usually above 90f. I used to run at 85f no prob, but lights gotta be very cool, I used cool tubes… luck man, you’ll get it figured…

i think that you need to flush the soil. This could be overfeeding and/or damage in the root system or a severe nutrient imbalance. Clean the medium and start fresh.

No way it’s heat stress at 86°, before I swapped to led that’s what my lights on temps were and everything I put in there was very happy. Definitely need to check pH and they look like they want some mag but it could be locked out due to pH

Yeah I have a bunch of egg shells I saved for WCA, haven’t got around to making it yet.

Everything was going smooth until the temps got a bit too crazy. I’ve been adding craft blend weekly, and when I first planted in I top dressed with a thick layer of vermicompost.

Temps were actually probably higher than 87. Mid canopy was reading 87 so top was probably reaching 90.