Nutrients per strain

Hi,

I’d like to know if there’s studies or known facts saying that some strains have needs of a certain type and amount of nutrients ( micro / macro / …) more or less than other strains.

This articles ( which isn’t from a study nor a science’s journal) says “yes”

From what I’ve experienced, I only can say that some strains have better result with me ( not really my gardening having good result on them).

But seriously I’d like to know. But in the same time I’m afraid of the broscience I may get from asking that question. Same broscience as in this soft secret article.

8 Likes

Interesting topic, but that’s a trash article. Just click bait.
It’s definitely a known fact that genetic ancestry influences nutrient tolerance. A plant grown with massive amounts of synthetic nutes is going to eventuslly have offspring that require a bunch of feeding.
Some landrace sativa are going to keel over dead if you give it to much nitrogen.
A plant from an arid desert is going to have different needs than a jungle plant, etc. etc. etc.

5 Likes

I found this study - it compares varieties of industrial hemp. I don’t think it quite looks at the baseline needs for each strain, but more how each strain responds in phosphorus uptake in different conditions.

Anecdotally, I can say I’ve had plenty of plants that, fed the same nutrients as others, would always have a given deficiency.

It’s commonly known in agriculture across many crops, that certain varieties need a little extra of usually a macronutrient. I see a lot of soil tests and can confirm that. Based on what a crop yielded I know what should have been taken up, and it’s often a little more than it should be for one nutrient or another. There’s a variety of oats that’s seemingly always hungry for more K.

1 Like

Best to learn to read the individual plants , they will tell you more than the internet , there is no short cut to experience with hands on learning
: )

9 Likes

I am finding old soil the best on my Blueberry heavy strain, no matter what I do inside if I put my used soil (promix) outside and let it flood with a month of heavy rain or more and re-use it, I don’t have to feed it until bud and just a light spray of equal parts if there is any yellow. seems to beat out new soil and following the nute instructions. I think you can amend the same soil for years, and it is more about end-of-season flush, if you can flush the crap out of it like if you have elevated soil beds and big drain, if you can flush it is more about making sure your levels are good and not going buy recommended feeds. just something I am noticing and leaning into. other strains could be feed pigs but I would always caution away from just assuming they are.

1 Like

I run different strains at the same time all the time. Each of them always wants something a little different. Best you can do is know how to read them and react accordingly.

Different strains definitely require different things but to know which you’d need to work with it.

5 Likes

When I run bottled nutes something usually goes wrong if I feed different strains from the same batch… but when I’ve used Dr earth dry stuff in the bags everything so far has looked good. 5 different strains with organics have all been fed the same & looked great.

The needs and uses of the plants are near identical. Their ability to uptakes nutes is what varies. You can foliar feed all cannabis the same. Grow 100 plants from the same seed batch and drought test them. Some will die immediately some will stay alive for weeks. You’d think root stock would be standardized in Cannabis by now. Instead we’re buying 100 dollar packs of seeds where 5 of them can’t go a day without water and the other 5 can go 3 weeks.

2 Likes

Yes. The ones that grow fast and stay a lighter shade of green need more nutes.

Thanks for your feed backsit helping me realising that it’s empirical, I have to test it myself.

I wanted to gain some time, to spare some batch, mostly avoiding some mistakes.

I need to make those mistakes to learn about them and never reproduce them.

At least, now I know a pretty dam nice community in which I can give my trust and ask for informations, help and share beans.

Much obliged.

1 Like