OGer, The Next Generation

I apologise for not posting further…

My computer has decided ‘not to boot’.
The file structure appears to be intact so I don’t anticipate a total wipe, just a delay while I regroup on this (hated) Chrome Book.

Cheers
G

15 Likes

One of the cool things about selective breeding is I have the segregated beans representing each cross.

In this test I’m looking at:

• best female x male1 and x male2
  • 2nd best female x male1

These are 6 beans of each.

Results at 3 weeks

A group began to display deficiencies at 2.5 wks. A record check showed they were all of the cross (best F x M2).
A quick check of my notes showed that I had identified male#2 as a ‘nutriment hog’… …in veg.
Dang!! This shit works!! :laughing:

It is cool looking at them and seeing subtle differences.
You view the ‘unusual’ in a different way.

If you wanted to go to an extreme, you could ‘plant’ the Punnett square

I’ll get some pictures up shortly but it’s ‘early days’ yet.

Cheers
G

24 Likes

Note to self: Always take detailed notes :+1:

1 Like

Hey @Gpaw, the leg has become my new career that doesn’t pay anything. :confused:

Actually the wound on my leg where the wound vac is attached, is finally healing over. I was supposed to go back in the hospital today or tomorrow so the Ortho doc could dig it all out again and an plastic surgeon was going to do a flap from my thigh to the wound to get it to heal over. There is a tendon going right through the wound that was preventing the wound from healing cause every time I moved my foot up and down you could see the tendon moving up and down. Well, it all of the sudden kicked into gear and grew over the tendon.

So, I still have to go back in to the hospital on Thursday to get a skin graft over the top of the wound. I really don’t see how it’s needed the way it’s healing so fast. It’s an ongoing thing atm. The doc still has to remove the hardware they used in the initial surgery at some point in the future, so… in the meantime, I’m still on crutches 4 months later, sigh. It’s starting to look better these days, though.

I actually dropped some Lemon Thai seeds I made the other day so I’m getting the itch again. Two of five came up in two days.

Good luck on your OG project and I’ll join the rest in watching you have fun! peace

15 Likes

That’s good it’s healing fast!
We know about the business of them having to go back in for further work.
When it is finally ‘all said and done’, think about a bio-mechanical tattoo to celebrate.

Cheers
G

8 Likes

HAPPY NEW YEAR, BRO!! PM those “Personals”, “FEM PACKAGE” is ready to be put together. Do you prefer Photo/Reg , Auto/Reg or, Mixture of both? Your call, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Can you share how you choose “Best”… do you go by how they grow or do you do an actual smoke test of each? Just curious cuz my last sour strawberry, if I was going by looks I would have been sorry cuz, she’s not very potent but she looks so awesome :rofl: I guess I should have known she wasn’t as frosty as the others.

Oh yea Happy New Year to all here :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:
:dash::dash::sunglasses::v::canada:

2 Likes

Happy New Year! back at you bro! :+1: :laughing:
(Just got back from the ‘visit the family road trip’…)

I’ve been meaning to tell you how happy I am that you are back and ‘stirring the pot’ after your hiatus… :+1:
I was meaning to check in with you to see if the couple coin flips of beans I sent last you last summer made it.

I was planning on sending a good quantity your way, but US customs snagged the shipment meant for distribution to the US and international folks.
After a mad scramble Doug & I clawed back the surpluses and got just enough together to cover the missing shipment. Unfortunately that meant a delay for some and no surplus for you, Sebring, or Doug…
…Crumbling cookies and all that… :wink:

For me bro, Photo/reg is the way…

Thanx & Cheers
G

11 Likes

Sweet Man!!! tagged for follow brother. :100: :fire: :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :peace_symbol:

1 Like

THAT’S even better, have TONS of Photo/Regs with your name on 'em!! Even if you have 'em already, NO BIGGIE. I’ll include 'em in a “Bubble Envelop” designated as “2021/22 Giant Sunflower Seeds”, Value/$8US. We’ll just have to see if they get through. Send those “Personals”, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I wondered if I was going to get asked about that… :laughing:

I keep notes on each plant during the run. Tracking growth, smells, anything interesting really.
I also take clones of the ladies and later grow them out to check the quality of the bud (by that point I already have the seeds)
The boys are more of a guess. I look at their structure and try to match them to the girls in things like odour etc. I got a break with this bunch as there were 2 outstanding males and they were very similar.

The OG Kush is really an IBL. It’s really obvious when you compare the veg and some of the flower growth. The males and females also flower at the same time (48Hrs window…)

I follow DJ Short’s suggestions on which males to cull.

• Kill the tallest (if they are going to put that much effort into fibre production… zap :cloud_with_lightning:)
  • Kill the first to flower (the theory is male plants that flower first will dominate natural seed production in a negative manner)

I’ll be the first to admit it’s “Bro Science” but that doesn’t mean it’s necessarily wrong… :rofl:

The cool thing about the OG Kush is the individual phenos do not really express themselves until the back end of flower. There were some hints earlier but if you aren’t familiar with them you might miss them.

I apologise for the lack of photos, I’ll correct that shortly.

Cheers
G

19 Likes

I agree with your whole assessment on males. The leggy elongation is counterproductive to colas and structure to hold weight properly, and I also think the 2nd has merit, because I’ve been fooled by plants pre-sex thinking they’re females, and actually sex male instead. Food for thought :thinking:

5 Likes

Happy new year OGers

3 Likes

Where’s the beef??

beef

Right here…

:laughing:

There are some subtle differences in the three groups. So lets explore the details.
There are three ‘1020 trays’ across the back, each with members of three different crosses.

• left tray, 1Br’x’ (where x = 1 thu 6) This is ‘best’ Female x ‘best’ male, 3M, 3F
    (OK, the M/F is my call & I haven’t flipped them to flower to verify yet)
  • centre tray, 1 Bl’x’ (where x = 1 thu 6) This is ‘best’ Female x 2nd best male, 2M, 3F, 1? Either 4 or 5 will go onto the next round
    One ??.. Yup, there’s always a Runt… There’s a rule or something… and the Runt takes its own sweet time to declare… 1Bl6 will go into the final round.
    DSCN3382

Yeah, I get that it is cute and all…
but its days are numbered. :grin:

The 3rd tray (right) has the ‘2nd best girl’ x ‘best boy’. I have 4M and maybe 1F, …we will see.

• front tray, has some Critical Kush and other unrelated items.

Observations:
It would be hilarious to see what these ‘nutriment hogs’ would do in a hydro environment… I suspect that if you ignore them for a long weekend, pets and small children would be ‘disappearing’… :laughing:

Other than the green/purple phenos (I think they are more ‘nuanced’ than just that) there are several other variables presenting.

Testing in different environments would give more comprehensive information but indications show that these beans seem to be a good representation of the stock. I’d say further refinement can be applied to improve them for specific applications but these beans seem to be good breeding stock.

Cheers
G

32 Likes

"Feed Me Seymore!"

Impeccable launch Gpaw and a well reasoned plan for taking OGer to a new level! Your hard won experience is coming in handy.

7 Likes

I also have three of the Critical Kush running in this menagerie.

These are from the Critical Plus x OK Kush cross.
They have a consistently good structure and are quite similar. I’m hoping to get a ‘citrus note’ added to the buds. I’m thinking about growing out 2 of these 3.

I ran out of my standard 5.5s and used a 1 gallon grow bag.

Cheers
G

27 Likes

Love to see the critical mass crosses

1 Like

It was a ‘freebie’ that turned out to be at the ‘right place’ at the ‘right time’.
I would have preferred to have a group to select from instead of one but it turned out quite nice. It’s my son’s favourite smoke.

Cheers
G

10 Likes

I was thinking that critical mass could be a good breeding tool for increasing yields. If it’s true or not I don’t know yet. It’s on a long list of projects :joy:

2 Likes

26 Likes