Old school tricks for early plant sexing

Oh no sweat man I just didn’t get that stubborn one yet I’m sure it’s coming I haven’t gotten into my pure sativa stock yet except the Oaxacans I have a bunch of snow high gear that I’m sure I’ll have to wait it out

3 Likes

this last outdoor season I tried my hand at cloning, right around when flowering started. Took some snips, stood them up in a beer bottle by the window and they never did root before sliming up their stems. But they did flower just fine! :joy: Went from no flower development to some pretty white hairs and tiny almost buds at the nodes, but not so much as a knuckle on the stems.

2 Likes

I also use this technique I learned it from you lol.I piece together all the Nuggets everyone leaves on here.After you mentioned it last year I ran through and listened to Dave’s Podcast about it.Bubbleman had him on a couple and he gets more into it.I’m pretty sure the guy with the Dr Seuss stuffed animal as his avatar is Dave Watson you can’t miss his voice.

4 Likes

See, and I’ve never even rooted a clone in water.
I mean, they always sit in water while I’m takin them. But then get re-snipped and or split, dipped in a hormone powder, then stuck in a coco pellet, and placed in a propigator. Sometimes just straight to soil. But I like to identify the roots and the weaklings first. I get roots from a strong cutting sticking out of the pellet in four to ten days at most.

1 Like

Anyone use 730nm to speed up sexing?

18 hours for 10 days, then flip to 11/13 with a 20 min FR followup, I’m curious what the results would be. If I can sex my plants in 3 weeks vs the normal 5, life would be much much easier. But I’m too cheap to pay 7 dollars per seed to the lab.

5 Likes

I have not done that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Why don’t you come introduce yourself to the awesome people of OG?

4 Likes

My trick is to wait 5-6 weeks from seed. Works every time.

16 Likes

I’m too cheap for paying the lab too. I shouldn’t have to pay more to see the sex early than I did for the seed itself.

2 Likes

i am curious. oldjoints said above he actually waited to see sex before putting them back on veg light. but you guys just do 2-3 days and put back into veg lights whether they showed sex or not? and they still show sex regardless of being put back into veg? or am i not understanding?

7 Likes

Yes, usually within a week. It just encourages them to pre-flower, enough to determine the sex.

8 Likes

Here’s a possibly stupid question

These are the seedlings I’m interested in. Would it hurt them if I topped them now above the first real node. The reason is that I promote the extra branch as soon as possible. Afterwards, I would take one off and put it on 12/12 for sexing, and leave the other to grow
Thanks

4 Likes

This is what I do, every time. I take a cutting, usually a top, but sometimes a branch. Lable it from the plant I took the cutting and put the cutting in a cup of water and put it under 12/12 light. They usually show sex in a week or so.

8 Likes

That’s pretty small to hack at. But hey, what do I know.

3 Likes

Just to clarify they will/should show preflower by week 6 above ground wether in 12/12 or 18/6? That’s awesome if so not that it speeds up but I looked at calendar and today is start of week 5 so I should be able to tell soon! Maybe lol

1 Like

Way too soon for topping. IMO
Will just slow the formation of the young plant.

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

This doesn’t work for all strains, but it is pretty useful. I’ve had some males that show under 12/1, and some that don’t. Same goes for females.

My OG Kush cut throws trichome covered calyxes at the internode with super tiny 1/4 inch internodal spacing under this light schedule. It’s the weirdest thing ever. It makes it harder to deal with. It was only this one clone. I had to revert back to 18/6 and it is fine now.

4 Likes

I have a good loupe and can usually tell by 4th or 5th node . IF I NEED to know I just send off to farmer freeman and know in 3 days .

I can tell befor I see pistils , by shape of pre flower pretty obvious once you have looked 20 thousand times

4 Likes

I’m a fan of simplicity, like a couple others have suggested I label cutting and toss into a cup of water after topping and throw them into the flower room to sex them, most will show in a week other then long flowering sativas that can take 2-3. It seems to be the least invasive for the plant since it’s being topped already as I don’t like the idea of affecting the actual plants hormone level even if the effect is minimal.

4 Likes

IMO-- Take a clone-- and clone in 12/12… in about 2 weeks you should see roots AND pre-sexing IF it’s old enough of a plant.

5 Likes

I’ve been using Hormex # 8 rooting powder and have been having way better numbers than clonex even higher root number’s than my aloe.You can use a woody cut and that shit will root it you could probably root a woodpeckers lips together with that stuff.I was getting like 7 out of ten now it’s ten out of ten.I had to dial back the number of cuts I take because it was so successful

10 Likes