Old school tricks for early plant sexing

Ok I’m soil as well. A cutting/clone was mentioned so I thought you could get really ghetto with it.lol waiting to root though only takes 3-5 days so not bad and can use the top of you top. Thanks man

1 Like

12 on 5-1/2 off 1 on 5-1/2 off will show and not go into flower @420noob

4 Likes

Thanks for that how many days/cycles does it take? Still around the 5-7 day window?

1 Like

I’ve noticed it depends if you have clones or seed. Seeds way slower

1 Like

But yeah roughly how long

1 Like

If you get your plants to the 5th or 6 th node give them 2 days of 12/12 lighting ,3 days for equatorial cultivars then put them back on 18/6 your plants will express sex in a very short preflower session.Speeds things up a couple weeks and they go right back to veg within days.

19 Likes

I usually top everything and put the tops in cups of water under a cfl in a closet. The clones show after a week or so of 12:12.

16 Likes

Take cuttings as you normally clone place in 12/12 it’ll start to flower while making roots

10 Likes

I usually do the @CapnCannabis method but will do the @ramblinrose method next time.
Some strains just don’t comply with the 2 or 3 day flipflop

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

I have found this to be the case also. Mostly long flowering sativa’s. This is why I wait for the plants to start showing.

3 Likes

Sativas definitely need 3 days I haven’t found anything that hasn’t complied yet.Maybe I just got lucky?

4 Likes

I am not doubting your results. Just reporting what I have had happen. I can guarantee this Sheelavathi I have wouldn’t show after 3 days, it took at least two weeks for it to show under 12/12. Some of them almost 3 weeks. But it is 100% Sativa also.

4 Likes

Yeah it works well especially if topping is a normal procedure for you. I just top an extra node so the stem is long enough.

6 Likes

I do this also, has worked well for me……. @ramblinrose

5 Likes

I would imagine that it wouldn’t need to be completely rooted. But I always get some root base as to not confuse it more than it already is, lol. Might effect the outcome, hell idk!

2 Likes

I use this technique. I learned it from SkunkmanSam on Hash Church.

11 Likes

Someone on here mentioned they do early sexing by running the seedlings under 24hrs of light for a week or 2, then drop them down to 14hrs of light for a couple days. Tricks the seedling into thinking the days are getting shorter. But in reality, you’re just in a shorter veg state

It’s like bringing a clone outside in spring time. It’ll preflower some but then go back to vegging once it realizes it’s not flowering time.

4 Likes

I’ve used LeafWorks a couple times.
It is expensive, and takes a week or so to get the results.
But, if you were in a hurry and don’t want to wait for cuttings to root, and show sex in a 12/12 tent… LeafWorks is a good solution, and 100% accurate.

3 Likes

If you don’t top plants indicas and most hybrid will show a preflower usually at the 7th node sativas usually around 9th to 12th node. Might need to use a loop to see. I find this to be the quickest way under mh lights.

8 Likes

Oh no sweat man I just didn’t get that stubborn one yet I’m sure it’s coming I haven’t gotten into my pure sativa stock yet except the Oaxacans I have a bunch of snow high gear that I’m sure I’ll have to wait it out

3 Likes