On the ideals of communism

This forum relies on community for traffic and member participation to entice sponsors to pay to be here but then shuns the idea of communism because at the end of the day it’s a capitalistic business model intended to make profit, which is fine but don’t try and say this place is about community. That is some mental gymnastics…. “Community” and bartering and sharing is sort of the point of a commune and this site would be nothing without the community of people sharing and posting but shits on communism because it has to protect paid partnerships. This is a perfect example of how communism can easily be exploited and can never work. Just stop using the term community and start calling the users of the site what they are…. Potential customers. It’s like calling a customer a guest instead as the corporations figured out. This place is full of communism, filled with coops, sharing of genetics and bartering all which can be considered to be communist in nature. Just don’t ever express your opinions when it has to do with a paid sponsor. I tried that in another thread and my comments were edited or erased by the sponsor, censoring just like a communist ruler would and they apparently have that right because they paid to control their own feedback, that is funny to me. Very communist. stopped donating here as soon as that went down, I got sucked into the “community” bullshit but quickly learned this is just a pig with lipstick on and no different than any other business trying to harvest potential monetary gain, which is fine but don’t call this a community.

11 Likes

Ha this might get flagged like me earlier

2 Likes

@Bayarealivingsoil , It looked like @Bajode5 gave his personal experience as a paying customer who seemed to order direct, and recently just proved so. I assumed international when he mentioned paying extra for shipping, so I was surprised when @ToddMcC replied so harshly and mistakenly thinking it was domestic.

I too would be upset if charged more for shipping than it cost. Handling fees sure, but make that separately know.

The earlier dig and insinuation of an earlier members comments likening the Authentic Genetics brand to White Labeling by then suggesting that member must be a very bad character within the history of the cannabis scene is very ugly. (I won’t even dignify the name by saying it aloud) That’s something serious to say about someone!

What is a White Label anyways? Popular genetics sold under a different brand. How is that any different than Sam’s Cultivators Choice work being reproduced rebranded and sold under the Authentic Genetics brand? I know there is often negative connotation with White Label seeds but there shouldn’t be. Selling other people’s quality work with fairly simple, respectfully, reproductions under a different label is either hacking them or White Labeling them with permission. That doesn’t automatically make them any less quality.

Earlier in you’re reply to my comment we were touching on price points and pricing strategy. I believe you when you say that you’re just winging it. And I truly and genuinely wish you success because there aren’t many ways in life where we as humans seem to be able to work and provide a means for ourselves in terms of dollars and money, without selling our soul. Doing so and working with plants and seeds and creating is really a beautiful thing.

Beautiful in terms of chaos. Because we’re really not meant to live this way. We are supposed to share from abundance. Give and receive. We are a long way from that in this modern world but the world is also what we make of it and how we contribute to it. Wasn’t the Purest Indica originally shared to Greg by Steve Murphy as a gift no money involved?

The reasons I feel so strongly about the pricing differences I noticed was because I personally try to avoid money as much as possible. I strive for a life lived from shared abundance. The reality is, money is part of this world so I use it at times. My heart truly cries for the additional work I created for others when seeking to gain these dollars of which are needed for seeds. So to think I could have possibly had a more reduced effect on others in that regard, it causes me grief and brings a sadness near. I’m fortunate to need not a lot of dollars and very few of them pass through my hands each year. I don’t want for much, but also I don’t want much. Of the few material things I yearn for and want are various genetics and seeds. I too feel an obligation to help steward the legendary lines that I’m able to help do so for. It’s an honor of being human and part of the human experience, sharing and stewarding useful seeds for future generations.

So the idea for me to want something enough that I will seek out dollars means it’s something special. I can “afford” the seeds at all of the price points they have been sold for historically at AG. I’m not upset the money I spent but rather the seemingly excess I needed to contribute to the capitalist machine. I needed to make profit for dollars and at the expense of someone else. For me it wasn’t particularly difficult, my heart cries for those I profited from who may not have the same earning potential or power.

I struggle with the price changes and I’ll be more direct about it. While your price per seed has indeed gotten lower over time and especially during some sales, specifically the 5 for $125 sale. I’m working off memory so bear with me but I think a customers lowest cost of experience with the AG brand is approximately $50, which is not at the $2 per seed price point. The cheapest option for a customer to purchase seeds at $2 each is with a $125 order. I preface with this because what I feel the reality is more that the pricing is more in line with what the market will bear than it is about keeping the cost as low as it can be for the customer. Seeds are/should be plentiful so using a lot of seeds to grab potential customers purchasing power is really the savviest way. I believe CSI pioneered this, showering orders with freebies. It’s an absolutely magnificent sales strategy.

Most customers don’t have a bunch of money to spend and those price points of experience, $50 & $125 are right in line with most the rest of the market. I could be mistaken but wasn’t it @TomHill who brought the $2 seed to market anyways? Albeit at a $200 experience price point. I could be mistaken. I’m pretty sure it was Tom, but it could have been AG that brought to market those types of price points. My memory has me thinking one influenced the other for some reason.

I’m not sure if you’re aware, but here on Overgrow we have a Co-Op section where we as a community pool our resources to help steward varieties that fit the criteria for the reproductions. Since you mentioned wanting to help get these legendary primary colors of cannabis to the community for basically nothing, $1 a pack, would you consider giving your blessing and donating those aforementioned varieties for the community here to reproduce and share? One of the rules for the Co-Op is that out of respect the community doesn’t do public reproductions of work currently being sold. You mention the Johnny Appleseed thing and the vow to spread seeds and such, I think Overgrow would be a great resource to help you do that.

You also mention the cost to fly to Amsterdam to meet with Sam for seeds. I think you would like it here on Overgrow, we just had a group effort to send a member of the community to the currently civil war torn country of the Democratic Republic of Congo where we were seeking out some hopefully long lost less hybridized by modern genetics stuff. I’m sure many will reproduce them at their own cost and send them to other members of the community also at their own cost. So to say, you don’t have to do it alone and bear the brunt of it all, financial debt and such. We as a community have immense power and strength when combining resources for shared goals. It’s nice to see you posting here in this thread dedicated to your brand. I wish more breeders the Overgrow community helps support would do so. Many blessings and much love

8 Likes

Just wow :flushed:

I hope @ToddMcC doesn’t feel pressured to reply, because this is coming out of left field.

From our limited online interactions, I’ve come to see Todd as one of the most generous people I’ve met in the virtual world.

I don’t think this is the right time or place, to be honest.

Todd has a solid track record and deserves to be treated with respect. This kind of advice is unnecessary, and I wouldn’t hesitate to call it rude.

I really hope you’re not planning to offer these communist ideas to our sponsors.

Honestly, we should be appreciating personas like Todd visiting and answering our questions and using the opportunity to learn something instead of making attacks, unnecessary complaints, or inappropriate requests.

Because such comments not only demotivate them from visiting again, but also addressing these remarks takes precious time that could be spent creating things.

This is not the picture we want to paint as a community.

We should appreciate those experienced “doers rather than talkers” joining us for the discussion.

31 Likes

I’m a paying customer of the brand and those are my really experiences and feelings.

He mentioned the Johnny Appleseed vow. I think it’s applicable to see what he means by that, it’s a pretty heroic phrase to be insinuating I think. Many blessings and much love

2 Likes

So if they are not your sponsor’s the idea is not communist, correct?
Since there are so many seed reproductions and distributions here that confuses me

4 Likes

The idea is communist. Period.

The idea that making a profit comes “at the expense of someone else” reflects a view that capitalism is inherently exploitative, where one individual or business gains through the loss or disadvantage of another (such as workers being underpaid or consumers overcharged). From a communist perspective, this system creates hierarchies and cements inequality. In contrast, communism seeks to ensure that people contribute to the collective good based on their ability and receive goods and services based on their needs, aiming to eliminate such exploitative dynamics.

This is completely off topic here, so please start a new topic if you want to discuss this further.

10 Likes

Thanks for this. It is greatly appreciated. I had the same response when I initially read it.

2 Likes

I looked at the genetics and the prices and I just said NYET!
No need for pages and pages of wishing for price caps lol

3 Likes

How can you come to that conclusion? I needed money for the seeds I wanted to buy. I used to make my way as a fisherman and have since started giving my catch away. So instead of giving something away like I normally would, when I need money I sell those same fish I would have otherwise given away for free.

Most people I know are of meager means yet they want to help me when I need money like I want to help them when they need food. Knowing what it takes for them to earn that money is the difference for me, to experience and know that for me to make those dollars they come at the exploitation of my friends who I would have much rather given the fish to.

As mentioned in our PM correspondence, these are not ideologies exclusive to communism. Humans have been practicing living in a gift economy before the advent of agriculture and before the word communism was even invented. It’s how we actually survived to make it where we are today. Cooperation and teamwork. Not much unlike the Co-Op and the underlying spirit of OG.

I couldn’t care less if @ToddMcC wants to run a successful profitable business and I am genuine when I say I wish him success. It’s a fucked up world we live in and if he can do it with plants that’s better than most. I don’t think it’s proper to pull the Johnny Appleseed card and make it seem like he’s going into debt to get these genetics to the community because he wants spread them far and wide without his anticipation of a possible profitable upside, or else I would assume the Co-Op suggestion or utilizing the resources of the community is something he would be very interested in. He’s been a member here since 2019 and has approximately one post per month most of them being in a Nevil thread years ago. He’s tried to make money off weed since forever and that’s fine. Just don’t try to make it seem like it’s some benevolent going into debt for the community when he’s seemingly has approximately at least $1,000,000 in revenue across the few years AG has been in business publicly. What type of resources are needed to reproduce a handful of varieties? Surely a million in revenue is enough to get out of debt. Maybe Sam charged him a zillion dollars, what do I know.

I’m genuine when saying it makes my heart cry to have to charge my friends for fish when they are of meager means and I love to go fishing I do it for free. Their jobs they unfortunately don’t love. They don’t get paid adequately either. If you think that’s communism because I realize the cost it takes my friends compared to my cost, whatever.

I remember reading that Steve Murphy gave a lot of the Purest Indica away for free, is that communism too? That’s a Johnny Appleseed type of heroic move to me. Many blessings and much love

2 Likes

Well, go be JohnnyAppleseed then.

Why would anyone else need to do that for your ideology and your timeline.

16 Likes

Why do you only sell fish to your friends?

2 Likes

Lol, you know what you’re doing, so stop it.

Trying to put him on the spot because Greg was>initially given 4, FOUR seeds to Greg and Greg crossed them ti themselves and gave to his friends to try to make the varieties they were growing that hardly ever finished correctly in their climate better.

That was the late 70s early 80s, a different goal, a different time and place, a different economy.

So, Todd should sacrifice even More of his time and well being and basically eat the cost of everything because a few guy got bug’s up Thier ass about him? I think not, he’s done his part, served his Time and is doing enough as it is with current price points. 3 months Ago he offered his entire catalog, all the strains, 10 seeds each for 250. He also has 2 strain’s in stock now that he’s only asking $2 per seed. 50 pack for 100

Also the term being thrown around, “White labeling” isn’t someone selling other’s with permission and transparency Like he does with Mel’s seed. White labeling means you’re buying seeds in bulk from some place (it’s Spain at the moment) and relabeling them as dozens of different distinct varieties.

Example - bulk pack of indica dominant expression seed, being used to fill retail packs and called; og kush, Afghani, Skunk, white window, triangle kush, chem dog, sour d, etc. this is what ILGM, 420 fast Buds, rqs, Barney’s, etc do.

With This all being said, id Like to give you my address so you can send me a bunch of seeds for free or 10 cents each, because that’s how it should be, right?

Just lemme know, ill drop you a DM. I prefer mostly indica seed, no longer flowering sativa please

11 Likes

@Northern_Loki Thankfully Overgrow helps provide that opportunity. When I realized recently that I had received 65 letters from other community members with seeds I formed a goal to give away at least 10x that amount. It’s such a rewarding feeling. I’m grateful for this platform to share from, and for community members happy to receive. Many blessings and much love

@JustANobody my friends are my community. Many blessings and much love

@Couchlocked Sensi Seeds has their own White Label branch since a while back now. That’s where BOG got his Double Gum. There are many forms of how a manufacturer can work out an agreement with another entity to have their products sold under a different brand. How are Sam’s Cultivators Choice Original Haze seeds reproduced and sold under the AG brand not the same as some White Labeling practices? The product, seeds, from a manufacturer, Cultivators Choice, made under the advisement of the manufacturer and rebranded to be sold, Authentic Genetics?

I don’t say it as a bad thing. It was very poor taste of Todd to insinuate a member is a bad character from cannabis histories past. Due to such uncouth remarks, I felt obligated to share that yes in fact AG is basically White Labeling for Cultivators Choice.

As for bringing up the seeds shared freely by Steve to Greg originally, I believe that most of the greatest cannabis has been stewarded this way across humanity. By sharing and giving the goods because when someone gets something awesome they want to get it to as many others as they can. Especially if it was first shared to them, that’s been my experience. It’s basically what we do here on Overgrow.

I’m cool with Todd wanting to make a business, I’m genuinely rooting for his success, but to read he’s going into debt to be Johnny Appleseed it’s not really looking that way to me so I say what I say. If anyone or anything is Johnny Appleseed it’s the Overgrow community. Which I why I asked about his feelings on donating to the Co-Op.

Send me a DM with your cannabis preferences and I’ll send you some seeds I have that best match up to what you like with the next batch of envelopes I get out. If you grow them and post pictures here on the forums I’ll send you more seeds for free ad infinitum. Many blessings and much love

4 Likes

That’s great.

You should leave people alone with the proselytization, though. This is not a religion.

You’ve been talking a lot recently about bullying and harassment.

Also, LJ asked you start a different topic if you wanted to continue.

14 Likes

Thank you for your generosity and offer. But someone spent time and money to make those z i couldn’t dream of taking anything for Free unless it was done organically in regards to it happening.

Now, if you got something that piques my interest, id gladly pay for em

5 Likes

As many posts were off-topic and harassing, they have been moved here … for the moment.

2 Likes

There are plenty of folk sharing. No one is forcing anything, just nice, caring, and generous folk. They are awesome. Sharing != communism. Community != communism. Common interests != communism. Trading/bartering != communism.

There are also folk that make a living with merchandise. No one is forcing them. No one is forced to do business with them, either.

If you or others believe you can force your ideals onto others or to shame them into compliance, you are mistaken.

If you’d like to evangelicalize an ideology, don’t harass, lead by example. Folk can make their own choices.

We’ve explained the ‘sponsors’ area and how it works numerous times. Is there a question or is this repetition.

8 Likes

I understand your point of veiw. It would be more correct to describe this community as a “ communalism”. A subtle distinction but very important. Solidarity brother !

8 Likes