Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

It can’t get out without removing the doors to the fridge first. It’s not safely installed. 1" was all the space it had from the back of the wall. Not even 1/4 inch between the sides and the walls. I can’t even open the fridge door all the way😅
It’s not on wheels. It’s on pegs. The back doorframe was installed after the Fridge was put in. They didn’t plan on ever moving the fridge :unamused:

1 Like

I mixed up the soil on the garlic pot with the dried mix of perlite and I’m looking at a much better structure, so I may have a hint at least how much soil to perlite is minimum now. I replanted the garlic into the fabric pot I folded over to a short wide pot just as something to keep the soil alive and work on transplants :sweat_smile:

I lifted the fabric pots and all of them are poking out of the bottom of the pot. Daisey included actually. Indigo has already grown the taproot down to the bottom and is now tracing the seam.

Daisey is actually showing brown roots on bottom from air pruning I’d guess as I haven’t seen overwatering symptoms on her really anytime recently. That’s definitely explaining a lot though :sweat_smile:
I need to work on my soil structure better.

Zelda is just weaving herself through the bottom now. New soil isn’t happening any time soon, so now my ultimatum is dealing with the situation or finding a way to get more soil I can use without issues. If the garlic pot works out I can try to work with what I have and cross my fingers. Preferably not, but I do what I can until I can’t anymore.

Anyways I’ve been waiting for my phone to charge before pics, so I’ll get to that now as more than anything Indigo just confuses me. Fast root growth taller than the plant, but small plant size😅 is that what phosphorus deficiency can do?

1 Like

Lights on pics. Them roots though :grin:

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Group Shot

Hygrometer Ignore the white specks. I’m clumsy and dropped it when I picked it up and it fell on a perlite chunk I accidentally crushed.

3 Likes

Almost…3rd week above ground :wink:

That really sucks! All of my appliances have died out over the last couple of yrs so I feel your pain. Not ideal though Craigslist saved my ass until I saved up for new ones

2 Likes

:smile: :wave:

350+ posts later…

Dang! You got some buds, a tent, some light…! :astonished: :thumbsup:

Things are lookin’ up! Good news dude.

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Seating is now available :joy:

MOTR grows with OniTenshu

2 Likes

Finally right?:rofl:
I have more lights too, but I’m working on getting them safely wired. I’m already looking at the electric tape on the point where the QB is powered and how close it is to steam​:sweat_smile: I’ll probably be spending any other cash I can manage to scrape together for the new soil on wagos and wire nuts. After that money goes to a rail to set these all up neatly without wires going everywhere. Also to get the tent ready for the eventual 16 QB 120 build. One day I get myself a par meter too, but priorities :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hit me up in PM I’ll get you an assortment of wagos and wire nuts bro.

6 Likes

The 7 gallon pots arrived. Now I have to get that new soil soon. Zelda, GSC, and Indigo all need a new home soon. Good thing I have the home, and now I’ll need the rest.

It’ll probably take a week or so, but I’ll get it done ASAP. Hopefully before the 3rd as I can get 20% off my order and free shipping if I can get it. I may go to GameStop and see what’s worth anything. It’ll be at least a year before I bother to save up for my Xbox if by then I want to anymore. Tbh I only used it for shows the last 2 years, so I may just get a Roku or something instead.

1 Like

Pics taken. Growth definitely seems to not care much about the roots reaching the bottom.
Indigo is starting to grow again, so now that the focus isn’t on spreading the roots down I’ll be seeing growth pick up.

Can someone help me to understand what’s happening there? Was my VPD that bad that they stopped working on veg growth and went to roots? I assumed I had stressed them out, but now I see that growth never stopped at all in the soil.

Actually better question is how should I water them now?:sweat_smile: I feel like from the bottom may risk root rot, but IDK. I just want the soil to not get drenched to not be dry, and I don’t trust my soil completely yet​:sweat_smile:
Maybe one day after I’ve turned it into a supersoil, but rn it’s just stuck with issues I don’t know how to fix.

I will say it seems removing the corncobs did stunt growth for a little bit. They had definitely gotten used to a environment with a higher blue light ratio.

Now it’s white light with a blacklight glow. Took me awhile to recognize that color :joy: I haven’t used a blacklight in bright light in a long time.

I did notice that the light isn’t all blended yet or I managed to get a peek at the ratio of light colors reflected on a prism. So far I see each light color separated at the same width without one line larger than another. Apparently diamond pattern mylar will act like a prism sometimes, but I wouldn’t expect it to be accurate unless told otherwise.

Those are just white hairs that apparently got knocked off onto a leaf. Probably from yesterday when I was moving everything to take pics
Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Group Shot

Hygrometer

Garlic

The garlic is probably going to die, but I’m not going to cry over it. I’ll just compost it in the soil and when it’s finished I may do a test grow using my old soil with the knowledge I have now. Just veggies, but it’ll let me have a outside grow and see how I can fix that soil without lab testing.

Tbh that soil is just for fun now as I’ve given up on it for cannabis any time soon. Maybe next year after I’ve worked with it better, but not this year.

Also thanks for the help everyone. I never expected I’d get where I am now with my shit soil. I just don’t have the budget to get new soil every grow, so I’ve been looking at living organics and other sustainable growing practices. It’s a initial investment, but it pays off not having to buy soil every few months. A bag of compost here and there is one thing, but 4 cubic feet of soil every few months will get expensive of I can’t get a way to cut costs without compromising much if at all.

Damn I haven’t smoked today😅 I guess that’s just a part of me LoL. Just because I talk strange doesn’t mean I’m high. I won’t call them out, but you know who you are. I get really excited and I can’t hold back the energy. Severe ADHD is a stronger energy boost than anything I’ve ever taken. For those who know meds 200mg Seroquel and 10mg Clonidine were my 2x daily regimen for nearly 18 years. Hopefully that helps explain why I lean towards indica over sativa. I don’t need the energy from sativa at all. I’d rather avoid it like the plague TBH as it just makes me feel uncomfortably energetic when there’s no CBD present. In the first place I smoke to mellow out not get high. I’m constantly high from a energy boost. My ADHD is qualified as autism now according to the new classification they did a couple years ago on it and the effect it has in cb2 receptors.

So again just because I seem high AF doesn’t mean I’ve smoked that day at all. Maybe I’m one of the few who just are high by default, but itsote likely I eat, drink, and interact in just the right way to feel that sensation in my temples nearly always. As a whole without cannabis this just gets worse, so I’ll cut myself off here and dab. I have to shut off the rapid thoughts before I say something stupid from talking too much.

2 Likes

Multiple things…
The tent is too big for the equipment you have
The corncob lights were too far away to really do much except teasing them so they are effectively stunted
There are too many plants for the amount of light you currently have, yes even with the upgrade
Their soil may be ideal for veggies though not for cannabis…kinda like trying to grow cucumbers in cactus soil
Quadrupling the Megacrop locked out whatever available nutrients they have
They are now in repair mode appreciating the most recent changes and are reflecting that

Typically, roots will grow 1st before top growth is seen…these not only feed the plant but also help anchor it so the plant will stop growing and/or shed the leaves it cannot sustain if the issue isn’t promptly corrected. When you see roots elongating like they are instead of spreading out, they usually are in search of water and/or food…this isn’t always a bad thing :wink: More roots = more fruits :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Good sign for indigo I guess. My only saving grace I’d that these are photos. Just Daisey and Diana are autos. It’s definitely clear I didn’t end up with the impossible f1 auto with Zelda. Once I have them setup I’ll do what I can. I know I don’t have enough light intensity TBH. As is it’s not any different for watts used from the corncobs, but at least the light is directed at the plants this time😅

Seriously though. Murphy’s law​:sweat_smile: I should have gotten a smaller tent, but then I’d need to buy a new one after that I’d wager. As annoying as it is I’d rather work out a large tent issue over not having a tent again once they got too big :sweat_smile:

If I start going AWOL for a few days I probably found myself a job to get shit done. Soon I won’t need to use the humidifier anymore and I can just LITFA once the environment isn’t the worst possible one I could give them😅
Still I’ll have to leave the city to look for work. I burnt my bridges here for anything I’m close to

I’m learning how to tune my environment in my apartment and not just my tent. If it’s too dry in here they’ll only get dry air coming in the tent. If the floor is ice cold from the weather they’ll get cold roots like they had up until this week. I don’t remember if I mentioned it, but warm environment or not the floors are ice in here with no hot water pumping through my pipes. Apparently everyone who has hot water has no idea that it also warms your floors usually too just buy the nature of not being a frosty cold pipe with 40f and below temp water making the area around it cooler. Thermodynamics people :sweat_smile: never forget your elementary science lessons.

I measured the water at it’s coldest from my tap and it’s around 57f in my pipes rn. Not bad at all, but I had to set my heat to 70f for that. It was at 75-77f while the plants were growing. I’m actually about to figure out a way to add a blanket under my tent when I find one that won’t cause issues with leveling knocking over anything.

Currently my floors are 68.8f so that may explain why I’m seeing better growth also. Too many things this grow went wrong, but that’s what this grow was about. Learning lessons is priceless and I can’t do it without first-hand experience.

My personality type does stupid things when I’m stressed. At peak stress I actually reach a near fugue state. Idk what’s wrong with me there😅 seriously though in that state of mind I’m one trigger away from just breaking. It’s already bad enough in those times I can’t think at all. You’d think I’d welcome that, but no it’s actually scary having no ability to hear your own thoughts. So far it’s happened when someone has been able to help, but when the day comes I don’t have someone there I can’t even think of what’ll happen when I reach full desperation and snap😅

I’ve already hit the invalid stage once. I don’t want to go through that again.

1 Like

Absolutely!

The intensity is better for what your spending in electricity :wink:

No need… tarps make excellent walls to section off area’s - I’ll show ya a bit later today when I section off my available space and give the dimensions we will be working with :wink:

Honestly, that would be awesome for you to lower stress levels with so much happening at once
((((fingers crossed))))

See, when I am stressed my thoughts speed up which usually leads to insomnia nights though not always. I welcome the times my mind is blank then I can set my emotions to the side, focus and get shit done though not too much as it worries my boys when I attack the house deep cleaning it…cannabis allows me to find that balance :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

see wish it was that simple for me😅 I at least knowy pattern though. I get to the racing thought stage pretty fast and since my thoughts are already pretty fast by default I’m looking at instead of 5 racing thoughts I can’t focus on at all anyways and they just get out of control, I instead wind up with idk how many strings of thought going so fast I swear my internal voice inhaled helium. The best way to describe it is fast forward while on play. Same thoughts, but way faster and I can’t hear them once I get overwhelmed and effectively become a potato. Emotions ate still fully present, but no longer can I use my head to process them and I get anything at full blast with no wall to stop the flow.

Cannabis helps a lot, but that’s because it can clear my mind without taking away my ability to think for myself. If I was in a different era I’d be considered clinically insane. I’d for sure be one of those people who shut down and just never talk or do anything. People usually need heavy meds to become a Ritalin zombie. I just have to have a panic attack cycling into severe depression.

And people wonder why some autistics don’t speak. Coming from someone who does understand and have been there it’s sometimes from being overstimulated to a point your brain can’t process all the stimili without shutting down non-essential function.

My narcoleptic tendency’s stem from this BTW. If I don’t sleep I’ll try and kill myself or burn a bridge I can’t repair. though occasionally I just pass out from overload standing up. One time I hugged someone and just passed out immediately with no warning.

If I don’t smoke I’m like Chris Farley, but I don’t do coke at all or any hard drugs. My brain is just wired that way and the depression makes me find any way to enjoy life in denial of my worsening mental health.

1 Like

Tbreaks suck, but I’ll just keep from talking about my drama as I’ll just hit a lot of nerves and say too much😅

I’ll be up for the next few days with a couple hours of sleep a day at best while my body remembers how to sleep again. There has got to be a gas station hiring at least :sweat_smile: until I can lift more than 40lbs with my legs again without an adrenaline rush I won’t be able to work manual labor. My lower back makes my legs freak out for a week after I lift something 80lbs or more. Even when I can get my random boosts of strength it still takes its toll on my body. Bones will still compress with a minimum amount of weight on my body. The weight still travels through the back even if you lift with your legs. I can’t control the muscles near my tailbone and that makes it impossible to not lift with my lower back no matter what. I have to workout when I can get more food to force that section to be permanently tense or I’m stuck at easy jobs I don’t need to lift more than 20lbs for​:sweat_smile: they don’t pay well. I’ll need to work on that ASAP. Before I was working at the job I had in 2017-2018 I could lift 90lbs without much effort. Now that much makes my vision fade from the edges if I try. I’ve had MRI and a x-ray, but no hint at what’s wrong. If I had to guess it’s my muscles and ligaments and not the bones, but what do I know? I’m only dealing with the pain of a constantly shifting spine that makes my legs not receive signals properly when I get a flare-up.

Wow apparently I can’t stop even if I try to​:sweat_smile: when I’m not stressed so much I can’t handle everything I try to work through what I can. I think after putting it in words I really have to figure out what I can do to keep my back from warping too bad and get the muscles defined. Luckily I’m halfway there and stress gives me abs and back abs. Squats next to work on the area that’s in constant pain. It’ll be the worst until they’re realigned :sweat_smile: my lowest column sorta vanished one day and I can feel my spine. I don’t touch that area anymore and it’s always covered up from the column above to keeps pressure off the area or I risk biting my tongue

Okay drama aside now that my edible I didn’t finish last night has kicked in I’m feeling much better. Too bad it’s not reliable or I’d always have them.
As you can see I have issues I’m not able to work on safely without cannabis. It’s actually the only reason I’m allowed to grow here other than the electricity cost is negligible. That spike they noticed I can guarantee isn’t from me LoL :rofl: if they see a spike when they use 40-80 kwh a day without trying I’m not taking no for an answer when it’s my only electricity cost that’s basically the same as it always was when I played Xbox all day to escape my problems for a couple hours at a time. Maybe the one who’s arc welding could be why the usage speed just saying. Throughout the grow he’s been in the garage working on shit down there. Also the pool runs on my breaker. Nothing I use is above 300w until I need to use my 1650w microwave/convection oven. My fridge is clearly not pulling whatever amount it used either anymore, so effectively with all the electricity use I can’t use if I wanted to anymore I’ve more than offset my usage to even lower than before I started growing. With the fridge off I’m looking at about 15 a month now instead of 30 a month. Before I started growing I was sitting at 50-200 a month. I could always be spiteful and go back to energy inefficient lights, but that’s a dick move and won’t get me anywhere.

The reason they were hesitant to let me grow this time was because I did too well last time as far as the smell goes😅 those 4 plants stunk up a 7,914 square foot lot area including the 2,040 square feet the house itself is. My apartment is just around 350 square footage in this house. Very small overall, but bigger tann the tiny apartments around here and it’s free, so I shouldn’t really complain outside of when I’m not allowed to shower that day and I can smell my sweat😅 I can’t wait for summer. Cold showers will feel so nice😁

Anyways here’s the update for lights out. Darker pics are 3000k white balance to see what the zmeans are adding on top of the QB 3000k.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Group Shot

Hygrometer

4 Likes

I forgot to take lights on pics.

Instead here’s the 12 hours after lights on pics😅

So I made note that Indigo is definitely making trichomes. Either female or frosty male.
GSC is starting to make the shiny dots too❤️

Garlic might just end up decomposing in the soil😅 could be worse. Garlic should feed it well.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Group Shots

Hygrometer

4 Likes

I removed the garlic from the tent and filled the pot with soil from the soil outside that just defrosted the permafrost layer. I mixed it up with a tablespoon of gypsum, a tablespoon of Epsom salt, some ewc, and some fish fertilizer. I mixed it all up and it’s sitting near my windowsill to settle and show me what I’m working with when it’s warm. This is just an experiment for me as I love garlic and if this works I’ll just let it fill the 3 gallon pot. If not ah well I tried.

Still working on new soil, but when I head out tomorrow I can see what I can do to earn some extra cash.

The soil outside has been behaving completely different than the soil in the tent and it’s the same soil, but I’ve noticed that the one in the bin does appear to drain well, retain water to moist level, and the topayer dries slowly. I really wish that soil wouldn’t be a wasted purchase as it looks so dark and anything I put in the bin outside just grows regardless. I did mix in leaf mold and poured in my excess nute water in the bin over the last few months. It feels and looks like the soil microbiology is alive and well in it. I just wish I knew why it’s not the same in my pots. It’s not like it’s not in a container out there :sweat_smile: it’s in a storage bin with some holes in the bottom for drainage.

It’s a mystery to me why it’s not even close to the same indoors, but I’ll get this fixed one day. I’ll just let it continue to break down and decompose the materials inside it. Maybe in a few years once it’s all amended and loamy, but not any time soon for another cannabis plant if I can help it.

Anyways here’s a pic of the garlic. First tbreak day sucks😅

2 Likes

On a better note my w2 came today. I forgot I even qualified to get a return :rofl: well I guess I have a few extra bucks, bit not really much I’ll bet. I’ll be lucky if I get 100 this time.

3 Likes

Every little bit helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes