Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

@MomOnTheRun they’ve arrived. I have to head out for a bit, but for now I have them in my dresser.

The only place left to store things like a cooler😅

I have to head out to get my quarts Totoro and hopefully either be back Tonight or tomorrow.

I have my humidifier on low to at least do something in my absence.

1 Like

So my phone won’t turn on anymore :expressionless:
I’ll have to see what I can do. I’m currently borrowing a tablet to type this. Don’t want you all to think I’m awol. Just unfortunate and instead of my microwave it was my phone next on the list to die apparently.

Okay, so I got my phone to restart. Took me 4 hours.
I had to completely reset it and that wasn’t easy since the phone doesn’t show its logo anymore on restart

Put the humidifier outside the tent so the “wet” air can flow in instead of being taken straight out through the exhaust fan. For cooling and humidity inside the tent, its only as good as the air entering :wink:

Yes. Air funneling is much more important for the plants growth and health then negative pressure which is only really good to control smells…even then, it is slight negative pressure not bowed in which makes your fan work harder and will shorten its life.

If the air flow is constant, causing a vacuum effect its changing the air pressure relative to the outside space so the outside air is not exerting as much force to enter so the plants don’t have to work as hard to get the available gasses before they are carried out of the exhaust fan…this is where the circulation fan comes into play.

Co2 is ~44grams per mole and is cooler than o2 at ~32grams per mole so the Co2 drops with the warmer air raising above it. The circulation fan helps to remix it so a convection current is created with the exhaust fan pushing the Co2 out…this cannot happen if there is more air leaving than entering and the carbon scrubber becomes useless as it cannot do its job before the air leaves hence the 2x’s in than out or exchanged 2-4 times per minute…same, same.

Don’t worry so much about humidity especially in a mixed grow where some are flowering while others are in veg…your chasing your tail. Vegging plants prefer higher humidity while flowering plants prefer lower humidity…see the conundrum? Its a preference mostly for mold issues in higher humidity climates at a sensitive time (bud building) not a they won’t grow unless x amount of humidity is given at a certain stage…balance is natures way :wink:

If you have any premixed (diluted), dump it out. You want freshly mixed stuff anyway when giving it to the plants…its the difference between eating freshly cooked eggs vs 2-3 day old cooked eggs stored in the fridge. Don’t know about you though I prefer freshly cooked :wink:

Unmixed, all the nutrients I have sent you are fine at room temp :wink:

Remember, trichomes are the plants self defense mechanism to ward away bugs and predators so they are constantly being made and replaced through out a healthy plants life :wink:

Nice! Don’t worry about keeping the seeds cool…that’s for storage and really since we’ll be germinating soon, its a non issue

ok so I have that long to section off my space and show you so you can mimic it…cool :stuck_out_tongue:

Ouch. I thought my microwave was the next to go too…turns out its my older sons Galaxy S7…he dropped it while it was warm and it exploded in his room…scared the shit out of me. I thought those issues were worked out though apparently not so I too must get him a new one and they aren’t cheap…feeling your pain :hugging:

1 Like

My phone is a S7 edge and it’s been dropped repeatedly. My screen is broken, but it’s still chugging on by a thread. At least until the next time it gets trapped in a boot loop.

Once I get back tomorrow I’ll move the humidifier out of the tent. Makes it easier on me tbh as I don’t like opening the tent to refill it when I space out and forgot to refill it. Leave alone the risk of dropping water on the plants. It’s happened during lights on many times and I’ve had to wipe it off. As you see on the little ones they don’t always get caught in time and the water beads up and bleaches a spot.

On the note about seeds being kept cool though. I have a collection of seeds I’m storing for a later run. I have some colder than ice packs I’ve not bothered to throw out since they come in handy for a room temp ice pack that won’t go warm. In a 80f room I notice that they feel around 60f at most after a week and even longer doesn’t appear to warm it up really at all. After freezing them they last a week at around 40f max. Really convenient when you want a ice pack for a headache or tension.

Apparently I already have my quartz Totoro at home lost somewhere, so I’m borrowing the Amber quartz Totoro for now.

I had to head out anyways :disappointed: I haven’t eaten since my fridge died, so I’m working in fixing that while I’m out.

On a not depressing note I’m watching Stan against evil and it is glorious and campy af :joy: so many references. My new favorite parody show. Future man is right behind it.

1 Like

What is the optimal humidity range for cannabis? I don’t have options as I grow outside, but curious to know? Probably another stupid Meesh question. lol

1 Like

It’s a complicated answer, but basically depending on plant genetics they’ll want a specific range. Sativa’s want a much more tropical climate, so we’re looking at hot and humid. Hence the airy bud structure and wispy appearance. Indicas like more cold moderate humidity climates if I remember correctly. As far as I’m aware nature doesn’t make hybrids, so anything’s really possible depending on the combination you go with. Maybe there’ll be a strain acclimated to a hot and dry climate. For all I know that’s already around and I haven’t heard of it yet. I haven’t heard of most strains, so I’m not saying it can’t happen until someone with a horticulture degree can explain to me why in the most agonizing detail possible as I don’t learn without the full picture.

2 Likes

Thanks for that! No wonder it grows so well here! I’m in the green no matter what time of year it is. Now if only the daylight hours would cooperate 365… :smile:

3 Likes

I just got back home :sweat_smile: took much longer than planned, but doesn’t it always? :sweat_smile:

Humidifier moved out of the tent.

It doesn’t cover my house properly, but I hope being outside the tent will help. Let’s see😃

1 Like

Not ideal though if its a big room, you can use a heavy blanket or tarp for a makeshift tent around the dehumidifier so most of it goes into it the tent …the circulation fan will also help pull it in :wink:

1 Like

Humidity was at 16% at the lowest while I was out. All plants drank heavily while I was gone. Diana’s soil has receded all over. Indigo already drank all the water that was in the bag and its back to crunchy dry from a slight touch.

I got another 2 gallons of distilled water for later. Since I was omw home and it was on the way back. Saves me a extra trip.

Anyways I’m hitting end of night mode bouncing around all day today, so here’s some pics of the girls.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Group Shots

Hygrometer

2 Likes

I mixed up the 4g megacrop in a gallon of water. Waiting for it to fully dissolve now. I now know it had arrived all clumped up, so it takes some extra time to fully mix.

I’d like to switch to 18/6 ASAP. Do I just switch it or do it 30 minutes a night until I’m at 18/6?

Also the garlic died finally. Makes sense with all it’s roots pulled out, placed in cold soil, and taken out of it’s light cycle in the tent while I waited to see how the soil is. :sweat_smile: Ah well. It still grew a bit. It’s not actually dead, but as far as I’m concerned it’s just alive looking. It stretched the neck down a bit, but I don’t see any roots forming. With no green growth on top I’m unsure if it can recover anymore. Either way I wasn’t able to get new soil. Oh well. The soil in the garlic pot is extremely loamy now​:smiley: it’s warmed up and barely sticks to my skin yet will clump together with pressure, but break up very easily with a slight press.

Now I want to know how the soil can grow something after seeing this. Is my soil outside changing or is it just losing excess clay content?

If I can avoid it I’ll keep from using this soil for the transplant, but based on the pattern I’m seeing so far this went from experiment to finding out how to use it worst case scenario :sweat_smile:

IDK what’s happening with the old soil, but if it can grow some quick growing veggies as a test I’ll give it a shot assuming I’m still not able to get new soil.

I’m talking about this because it’s looking like high priority to transplant into new soil ASAP and I don’t want to use up the soil @MomOnTheRun sent me. For many reasons, but mainly I’m assuming there enough for the lucky 7s, but not for much else past that. Either way I’m just ranting while tired while thinking about my options as I find that soil was much better feeling than I thought it would be :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Okay officially given up on the hardneck garlic. As I was digging in the soil I couldn’t get any of it to stick to my fingers. The soil feels absolutely perfect IMO and I really want to use it again, but I don’t want to risk it on my plants without a test first. Otherwise I’ll be condemning the plant that’s in that soil possibly.

How should I test the soil? I’m debating on using GSC in it to see how it is. Overall I’m likely to get rid of them soon if I can’t get any sign she should stay. She is looking to show a pistil. Used my right eye to see up really close and the calyxes are not visible, but I do see something like white hairs near the top. They are barely visible in the pics from earlier, but definitely showing something.

Also Diana is looking close to done. She’s eating her fan leaves and is definitely at cloudy trichomes. Even without my scope I can see that. Come lights on or next time I go in the tent I’ll be using my scope to see the heads for ratio. The smell is a nice mix of skunk, vanilla, and citrus. Reminds me of Concord grapes.

Now on that note I do see a trend with my grows that vanilla likes to express. I wonder what microbiology is responsible for that smell and flavor? :thinking:

1 Like

Just switch them…I do it all the time rotating plants to different cabinets which are all set to different on/off times. It’ll take a day or so for the plants to adjust though they’ll be fine

Soil doesn’t lose Clay content though it is improved with organic matter: leaves, cover crop die back etc.

I can’t guide you with that as you said you dumped all your old nutrients into it so who knows what the composition is…if you really want to use it, save up for a soil test so you know what is built up in it vs what is needed to balance it

You’re right, I sent you just enough for the Lucky 7’s…maybe a little extra though not enough to spread it around :wink:

1 Like

It was draining until runoff any time it rained while out there this whole time. Nothing to keep the excess nutrients in the soil to my knowledge, but whatever the case it wasn’t all of my nutrients each time, but at least at the beginning. I’m bad at communicating that😅 after it froze I didn’t use it as a place for the excess anymore.

Whatever the case I’m more about testing with a plant before I spend a lot of money just to say I need a few things when I could just grow something in the soil. It’s a slower process, but I really don’t want to waste my money on a soil test.

Also how can it never lose clay content? If it’s water soluble enough going through the soil should flush some out even if only a small amount at a time. Also it gets used for nutrients too, so I just can’t understand how soil became a magical endless supply of clay😅

1 Like

I don’t mean to be confrontational at all. I’m just confused. I’ve always been taught that nothing is infinite. Absolutely nothing.

Yeah I definitely see the OCD and Autism RN😅
I can’t understand what I’m being told as I can’t wrap my head around the phrasing and it’s not going past face value when I know you were trying to say something else than what was insinuated. Everything lowers levels over time, but also with excessive water too. I haven’t smoked in a bit now.

Sorry for my confusion and manner of speech. I can barely word this right and unfortunately I can’t seem to get it to not sound abrasive :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s the thing, there is no telling what the clay portion is holding vs what it has let go…that is its job - to hold nutrients while sand and silt allows for draining like perlite and vermicilite does

I hear ya and do that alot unless its something I am about to give up on or its an important crop then the soil test is invaluable to ensure success

It doesn’t lose clay content though it can be broken up/disrupted with organic matter then we inadvertently add clay with amendments for the soil to digest for needed nutrients hence more organic matter is needed for the soil to digest…its a process every organic/no til/water only gardener must learn otherwise the clay and salts will build up in the soil becoming unusable unless drastic measures are taken. Its a process :wink:

1 Like

Okay that makes sense to me :slight_smile:

My tired brain makes it even harder to process info RN, so thank you for understand that I’m not being confrontational and just really want to know what is confusing me

1 Like

Oh I almost forgot, but I switched the cycle to 18/6
Now 1am is lights on. I have to try and stay awake as it’s time to water Diana and Indigo in the morning. Zelda and daisey’s soil is dry to 2" both easily now.

Should I be worried about root rot if I have them in water while I let the pots soak it up? They’re exposed coming out of the bottom of the pots.

I just want a good idea of how long I have to make them sit in water for.

Without weed to smoke I really can’t process info well. Who’d have guessed?:sweat_smile:

1 Like

No worries :wink: These are concepts that can be difficult to understand especially when learning organics with so much technical info available, its helps to simplify it :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally I wouldn’t worry unless they will be submerged longer than an hour though with just soaking up a bit of runoff, i’ll remove it if/when I remember lol

30 minutes… Whatever they haven’t back up by then is good to toss

1 Like

Is there a depth I want to make sure I have them in when I soak them? It seemed like even the tall skinny bag soaked it up nicely when I tried it from the Bottom the other day.

1 Like