Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

In a month or 2 many of the stores will have 4-12" plastic disposable saucers for like 0.20 - 3.00… I have 4 :wink: A hot water heater saucer (heavy duty with its own drain hole) fits a 20 gallon fabric pot perfectly with some wiggle room. IIrc, they are ~25.00 at home depot so there are options though for now get/borrow/trade for an under the bed storage sterlite container. I think they are like $12.00 new. Anyway, 2 7gal fabric pots will fit inside…want to raise them for air flow? just about any craft store or walmart will have hard foam blocks (for fake flowers) for like 0,50 each…get 2 and cut them in 1/3rd’s Boom! a tripod plant stand…need bigger? In the fall, locker shelves pop up everywhere. I have them holding up my 3x3 (cinched down to 2x3) fabric pots :stuck_out_tongue:

All else fails, use the bathtub or kitchen sink

2 Likes

Not burned though definitely pissed like overwatered…if the leaves start looking puffy, the roots are under tension and cuts off supply as the plant can’t sweat it out with the stoma’s closed. They will have to cool down for that to happen. Meanwhile, the weaker roots will die unable to absorb as much water that’s available like the bigger, healthier roots can…if there is too much root loss, the plant will wilt and die…if there is enough strong, fat roots (~1/2 as big as anchor roots) the plant will dry out the pot in 2-4 days :wink:

I’ll purposely do this on occasion when they’re young in root building. When I do, they really perform come late veg/early flower but then they don’t have as much top growth to contend with when I do it…this is a Lifta and time situation to see what the plant does from here…testing the root strength I suppose.

I do have to say…the plants need that fan to circulate the stale air and help bring in fresh, cooler air. Raise the fan just above the taller plants then drop the QB and ONLY the Qb to just above the fan…they really need it closer for bud building and the photos will appreciate it too. Turn on the fan’s oscillating feature if it has one. I am seeing 3 of 4 intake vents closed… I would open 2 and wait a couple days for it all to stabilize then tweak from there if necessary

2 Likes

If overwatered, I thought all the leaves would hang like that. Interesting! Thanks!

2 Likes

Last time I opened any of those vents I watched them nearly die from the airflow :sweat_smile:

Also the humidity will drop like a stone if I do that. It’s back down to 25% humidity in the house.

Overall I’m a bit screwed here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I moved the QB to just above the fan and I opened one vent down below. I don’t have 4 intake vents though. Just 1 intake and 2 large vent holes for ducting. All of them have a huge problem in that if I so much as open one a lot of light gets lost. Enough to fill my house with just enough photons that I’m not night blind. That actually concerns me now😅

Anyways I opened the 1 small vent down below. Any of the vents up top will just be a waste of time as it’ll just go straight to the filter and the air below won’t flow anywhere. It’s getting brighter in the house now and it’s still pitch dark out

2 Likes

Oh I can’t believe I forgot, but Zelda is not a Zeke. I just caught the tiny little white hair and micro calyx up top.
Pretty sure that makes 3 female photos luckily. Still if I find it’s less than that it will be interesting watching a frosty male grow I guess…

1 Like

Your not screwed just not providing an optimum environment though your trying…I get that. I too live in a dry micro-climate and trying to stear ya right though I get it. Gotta spin the wheels and see for yourself an thats ok.

Yeah, the humidity will drop then the plants will add to it able to release the water through their stoma’s…it will stabilise though you gotta give it time to find the balance :slight_smile:

Sucks that you cannot harness whats built in…one of the downfalls of tens though thats ok just do what you can

Huh?!? you were losing ~60% of your light not long ago for the same watts…5-10% loss on intake is on par. A piece of cardboard works wonders on dampening light toward the floor. Whats going out isn’t as important as whats going towards the plants when it comes to lighting… ventilation, you want double coming in than exiting an use a circulation fan to mix the 2 by the light so the heavier co2 stays down around the plants to utilize in such a large space for the equipment you have…just wait until you have the proper equipment for that space, you’ll see

2 Likes

I opened all 3 vents (me keyboard thought I meant cents) as asked and also put water in the 2 dishes for the little ones. Negative pressure is basically gone now.

Now did I fail science or am I the only one asking why co2 doesn’t get moved at all with a fan and all this airflow? Heavier doesn’t mean it’s a rock. In low enough concentration I’d assume it’s just like all other air and goes with the flow.

As far as I’ve ever been made aware co2 will only stay in place with stagnant air. Hence the name.

Took some pics whole I was in there.

I measured them and Zelda is just over 12" and Daisey is 10" or 25cm. I measured using the cm side for more accurate noting of height over time.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Hygrometer

3 Likes

As much as I’m concerned or confused I’m still listening to you.

I’m mostly confused about the humidity regulation as when they’re small they don’t at all.

Unless the humidity they want is around 30-35% I’m having a hard time seeing them change the environment around them. When I moved the Hygrometer it raised up 1% humidity immediately. Then went down 2% once it was down on the floor again. Soon plants or not I’m going to have the opposite problem. Come mid February I should be seeing 80% often with all the rain I get each year like clockwork. Yeah I’m definitely moving out of state when I get self sufficient. I’ll miss everyone, but seriously I hate spring and autumn in new England :sweat_smile: I can never breathe through all the mucous. Summer is nice, but too hot. Winter is way too cold. In general I want my limited season states. My body doesn’t adjust to climates faster than they change here.

I can see why my plants are not having a good time if I can’t manage to keep a stable climate for them. No matter what I do my house is always close to the humidity outside. Ventilation or not. Well actually it may be my ventilation as I have forced air heating. The garage is packed so full of scrap metal, wires, tools, cardboard, machines, and general utilities. If I was allowed to so much as touch anything without fear of harm or homelessness I’d try and use anything in there. Too bad most if it is trash they want to get rid of and I can’t recycle any of it for them or even touch it. I do mean touch too. If a fingerprint so much as shows up even near my heater I get yelled at. I really wouldn’t doubt it if I go in there again and find the huge cardboard box shoved in front of my intake for my heater😅 they throw such a fit if I do anything that even has a 1% chance of failing and yet they risk a high chance of a fire. That garage is the worst smell too. Motor oil, kerosene, and gunpowder.

Okay that actually scares me😅 if I didn’t see that before I wonder how high the chance the fumes and motor oil setting on fire or exploding let alone the gunpowder on the air😅

I love my plants, but I think I’m going to spend the day away from the house.

Just to be safe I’m bringing the w2 and I’ll try and file it today if I can. My parents assume the internet will teach me how to be self sufficient, but no matter how many times I tell them I don’t understand unless I do it it never clicks. I don’t understand why I can’t figure it out. Standard survival skills is one thing, but past that I’m clueless. All I can manage on my own is how to stay alive.

1 Like

After that rant I found a way to get some reclaim off a old broken banger I kept only because I lost it. Works out. I clearly need my CBN to calm this shit in my head. I know CBC has the highest boiling point of the main cannabinoids actually :sweat_smile: to smoke it you need to get the others out first or you’ll have a lot of benzene since it’s at a higher temp than what makes benzene that it boils if I remember my chart correctly.

Though I’d think that dabbing would be sufficient until I remembered that I don’t dab at over 750f😅 anything higher and it’s just burnt tasting. Terpy oils get even lower at 500f max or I taste charcoal.

I have no way to explain it, but there’s something about reclaim that helps stress in a way a sativa never can for me. Maybe because mine includes psychotic rage I have to reason with as giving into anger is only ever bad. It’s why indica helps me most. I smoke for medical first always. Recreational can’t happen otherwise. Pain, stress, and depression will kill a high faster in just a few minutes. I don’t even get a peak :tired_face:

It doesn’t make sense to some people and IDC anymore. You don’t get it that’s okay. With that I’m going to let that one go. I smoke for my own reasons and people can stop judging me for doing something that they can’t do :expressionless: I’ve explained it and if anyone asks I’ll elaborate, but I’m done getting worked up over this.

The humidity in the tent now matches my house humidity making the humidifier useless entirely now. 25% humidity and locked there. Humidity is raised up into the filter faster than it can spread in the tent.

Are you sure I should have 2x the airflow in than out when it’s dry outside the tent and they want it humid? I thought it would be better on them to have a more controlled climate than the chaos that is my house. Open dishes of water do not do a single thing to humidity in my house. They won’t evaporate at all for a while. I’m pretty much certain that my fimorved air system makes anything I do useless anyways. It’s a uphill battle while having my hands tied with this humidity. I can pump out as much as I want from the tent, but to get it higher I have to turn off the filter. Then it becomes a issue as the humidity will always climb to the high 90s and on low same issues happen and humidity sinks faster than I can fix it. Honestly at this point I’m close to giving up on trying to give them ideal conditions and just LITFA. I forgot about the water in the dishes for awhile :sweat_smile: I poured it out. GSC is moist evenly everywhere now at least. Her soil has been behaving the best tbh though. Never drying out too fast and drains well.

Did something happen to my soil after I removed a portion of it for the fabric pots? I know the permafrost had a heavy clay layer, but I can see sand in it in a high enough concentration that my original soil tests confuse me now. The soil the garlic is in feels very loamy. It’s still cold to the touch and separated very easily when touched, but it can be formed with pressure. I’m going to have to test it again aren’t I?:sweat_smile: I doubt I’d luck out this well to just leave the bin outside and it would just become more loamy​:sweat_smile:

Tbh if it’s become usable I was to see how bad it is with a oregano seedling. Apparently they show phosphorus deficiency very early, so maybe I’ll use some more sensitive plants to test my soil in a way that’s more practical for my current limits. I know that my soil is definitely having phosphorus issues though. Now in the tent maybe not so strongly as the ewc has had some time to help things adjust.

Also with no way to keep them cool idk how much time I have to use the fish fertilizer. I assume the ewc will be fine at room temp

1 Like

Plant heights measured and noted. Indigo is the smallest, but she matches her root length. GSC is taller than her taproot. Daisey is exactly as tall as the pot is. Zelda is much taller than the pot now😅

GSC is shedding her outer layer to make her woody stem finally. :sweat_smile: Ah well I guess she’ll be tiny.

So idk what’s up with what I saw, but I definitely saw trichomes form on the tops before the calyx formed. On all of them so far. Bot even like it was 1 or 2, but every single one of these girls showed trichomes first before showing sex.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Group Shots

Hygrometer floor level

Hygrometer middle of the tent

3 Likes

@MomOnTheRun they’ve arrived. I have to head out for a bit, but for now I have them in my dresser.

The only place left to store things like a cooler😅

I have to head out to get my quarts Totoro and hopefully either be back Tonight or tomorrow.

I have my humidifier on low to at least do something in my absence.

1 Like

So my phone won’t turn on anymore :expressionless:
I’ll have to see what I can do. I’m currently borrowing a tablet to type this. Don’t want you all to think I’m awol. Just unfortunate and instead of my microwave it was my phone next on the list to die apparently.

Okay, so I got my phone to restart. Took me 4 hours.
I had to completely reset it and that wasn’t easy since the phone doesn’t show its logo anymore on restart

Put the humidifier outside the tent so the “wet” air can flow in instead of being taken straight out through the exhaust fan. For cooling and humidity inside the tent, its only as good as the air entering :wink:

Yes. Air funneling is much more important for the plants growth and health then negative pressure which is only really good to control smells…even then, it is slight negative pressure not bowed in which makes your fan work harder and will shorten its life.

If the air flow is constant, causing a vacuum effect its changing the air pressure relative to the outside space so the outside air is not exerting as much force to enter so the plants don’t have to work as hard to get the available gasses before they are carried out of the exhaust fan…this is where the circulation fan comes into play.

Co2 is ~44grams per mole and is cooler than o2 at ~32grams per mole so the Co2 drops with the warmer air raising above it. The circulation fan helps to remix it so a convection current is created with the exhaust fan pushing the Co2 out…this cannot happen if there is more air leaving than entering and the carbon scrubber becomes useless as it cannot do its job before the air leaves hence the 2x’s in than out or exchanged 2-4 times per minute…same, same.

Don’t worry so much about humidity especially in a mixed grow where some are flowering while others are in veg…your chasing your tail. Vegging plants prefer higher humidity while flowering plants prefer lower humidity…see the conundrum? Its a preference mostly for mold issues in higher humidity climates at a sensitive time (bud building) not a they won’t grow unless x amount of humidity is given at a certain stage…balance is natures way :wink:

If you have any premixed (diluted), dump it out. You want freshly mixed stuff anyway when giving it to the plants…its the difference between eating freshly cooked eggs vs 2-3 day old cooked eggs stored in the fridge. Don’t know about you though I prefer freshly cooked :wink:

Unmixed, all the nutrients I have sent you are fine at room temp :wink:

Remember, trichomes are the plants self defense mechanism to ward away bugs and predators so they are constantly being made and replaced through out a healthy plants life :wink:

Nice! Don’t worry about keeping the seeds cool…that’s for storage and really since we’ll be germinating soon, its a non issue

ok so I have that long to section off my space and show you so you can mimic it…cool :stuck_out_tongue:

Ouch. I thought my microwave was the next to go too…turns out its my older sons Galaxy S7…he dropped it while it was warm and it exploded in his room…scared the shit out of me. I thought those issues were worked out though apparently not so I too must get him a new one and they aren’t cheap…feeling your pain :hugging:

1 Like

My phone is a S7 edge and it’s been dropped repeatedly. My screen is broken, but it’s still chugging on by a thread. At least until the next time it gets trapped in a boot loop.

Once I get back tomorrow I’ll move the humidifier out of the tent. Makes it easier on me tbh as I don’t like opening the tent to refill it when I space out and forgot to refill it. Leave alone the risk of dropping water on the plants. It’s happened during lights on many times and I’ve had to wipe it off. As you see on the little ones they don’t always get caught in time and the water beads up and bleaches a spot.

On the note about seeds being kept cool though. I have a collection of seeds I’m storing for a later run. I have some colder than ice packs I’ve not bothered to throw out since they come in handy for a room temp ice pack that won’t go warm. In a 80f room I notice that they feel around 60f at most after a week and even longer doesn’t appear to warm it up really at all. After freezing them they last a week at around 40f max. Really convenient when you want a ice pack for a headache or tension.

Apparently I already have my quartz Totoro at home lost somewhere, so I’m borrowing the Amber quartz Totoro for now.

I had to head out anyways :disappointed: I haven’t eaten since my fridge died, so I’m working in fixing that while I’m out.

On a not depressing note I’m watching Stan against evil and it is glorious and campy af :joy: so many references. My new favorite parody show. Future man is right behind it.

1 Like

What is the optimal humidity range for cannabis? I don’t have options as I grow outside, but curious to know? Probably another stupid Meesh question. lol

1 Like

It’s a complicated answer, but basically depending on plant genetics they’ll want a specific range. Sativa’s want a much more tropical climate, so we’re looking at hot and humid. Hence the airy bud structure and wispy appearance. Indicas like more cold moderate humidity climates if I remember correctly. As far as I’m aware nature doesn’t make hybrids, so anything’s really possible depending on the combination you go with. Maybe there’ll be a strain acclimated to a hot and dry climate. For all I know that’s already around and I haven’t heard of it yet. I haven’t heard of most strains, so I’m not saying it can’t happen until someone with a horticulture degree can explain to me why in the most agonizing detail possible as I don’t learn without the full picture.

2 Likes

Thanks for that! No wonder it grows so well here! I’m in the green no matter what time of year it is. Now if only the daylight hours would cooperate 365… :smile:

3 Likes