Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

You did though a stress she didn’t need :wink: I find it helpful to look back a week to note changes especially if there is a concern

Daisy and Zelda look the best and shows in their continued growth and greening up…GSC has shown some improvement as well with Indigo taking a step back though continuing to grow. I would transplant GSC and Indigo into their final pots (and better soil)…don’t use those small grow bags Indigo is in anymore as that seems to be the start of her issues

5 Likes

Pics right before lights off. Humidity is finally climbing again. I checked the soil and Zelda doesn’t want water rn. Just the very first couple cm are dry all around, but it’s evenly drying this time.same with all the other soils too. If I touch the surface I can feel moisture in the soil, but it’s not wet. When the 7 gallon pot arrives ill transplant Zelda and the rest too. I’m looking at ordering soil tonight. I was looking at roots organic soil. I found 1.5 fubic feet for 20 and there’s a 20% off coupon also.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Hygrometer

4 Likes

I’m watching the eclipse now. I’m so happy the storm passed and it’s completely clear skies now. No light pollution either. Who knows :sweat_smile: the humidity in the house is already much higher. Let’s see what it does to the plants even if a minute effect.

1 Like

This morning’s pics. Humidity is finally stabilized a bit in the house for some reason. I have no idea why it’s higher now much easier :sweat_smile:

Posted too soon. Next post will have the pics

Diana

Daisey still unsure of what the round leaves are. I’m intrigued though.

Zelda I won’t have new soil on the 29th when I get the new pot for her. My soil outside seems to be swelling up and filling out the container. That brings too many questions about my soil. I found a good one for all of them though. I’ll just have to soak the soil first to cook it and once it’s live and cool it’s ready to use for planting. Then I mix in perlite and pumice for aeration. It’s called supersoil. The brand, but it’s also organic. The reviews on those who added instructions came from foxfarm and others and they loved it, so I’ll try it.

GSC

Indigo

Hygrometer

1 Like

I try off the filter for a bit to gain humidity and I accidentally made it a lung room oops. Filter is back on now that humidity is up higher and where it stabilizes let’s see. I’m at 77% ATM and dropping. It was at 20% humidity for way too long.

On a positive note GSC and Indigo’s color has improved and I actually see that Zelda is looking a little nitrogen toxic or I’m not sure what’s going on there, but she’s still growing on.

I’ll mix up a different feed for Diana and start getting her to work towards the end. She’s starting to lighten up some after the last watering, so I’m hoping soon I’ll see some more fattening up on the colas. Even if I just get 3.5g off her the smell is so intense it burns my nose and I don’t even touch her trichomes to get that. It’s when I touch the fan leaves to feel for texture. I’ve removed all ties holding Diana down and she’s free to finish growing how she pleases now. Her stem has a very good feel to it. Nice and elastic yet stiff.

I sprayed the soil surface of the pots today to keep things moist and from getting too hydrophobic before the next watering. Just the first cm or so until I stopped seeing a pale dirt color.

Back down to 30-40% humidity in the tent.

1 Like

Here’s tonight’s pics. I see various issues, so the second I’m able to get new soil these babies are going in there. Worst case I’ll see how I can manage to rehydrate the soil I have now if I have no other choice but to transplant before they die. I trust those who know better than I could tell me when I have to get them in something else asap.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Group shots

Hygrometer

2 Likes

I’m heading out for a day. I got sick and can barely function. Fever is affecting my ability to think straight.

I’ll take some pics before I go.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Group Shot

Hygrometer

My filter is on low now. At 440 CFM what is my lowest fan speed I should use? I’ve seen a 4x4 only needs about 100 CFM or so.

2 Likes

Some LIFTA would do both you and your plants some good :wink: Get well!

Where you have it now is great as the plants look like they are loving it…mine like 78-83F when lights are on too :wink:

1 Like

I wound up staying home when I could barely manage to get out of my neighborhood without falling. I got some pics and I have too many questions about Zelda’s top😅

All that staring made me lose too much time and Zelda’s pics are after lights turned off. :sweat_smile:

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Group Shots

Hygrometer

2 Likes

I realize you are in shit soil, but shouldn’t the Megacrop be supplementing these problems? Seems odd. Maybe your PH is causing lock out.

2 Likes

Not much I can do about that😅 all I can do is pH down, but megacrop does that already. I’d rather keep away from baking soda. It only causes lockouts down the road.

The soil I got I don’t want to use again. I looked up ecoscraps and I see Scott’s attached to the name which means Monsanto. Anyways the new pots are coming soon and the soil I’ll see about getting soon. I’ll talk to my buddy tonight about it since he wants to help and I found a better soil source for a good price. If he insists on a minimum I have roots organic 707 mix to ask for :sweat_smile:.

Either way the ewc have added some more clay back into the soil. I think in my efforts to remove it all I neglected to realize just how dry my soil got when dry as dirt like a sun bake when layed flat. The fabric pot I have in my bedroom finally dried all the way after 2 months and it’s like a bag of dust now. I think I added too much perlite :sweat_smile: it almost seems like it’s all perlite in the bag when it’s dry. It was about half full and now it’s about a quarter. Once I get new soil I’ll just be dealing with high perlite content low nutrient soil. Microbiology in the soil needs moisture to survive in a healthy state if I remember and my soil structure is awful.

I’m not risking disturbing the roots and killing the plants, so I’ll have to work on learning what I have to do to amend the soil from “shit” to something decent to work with this should the problem repeat itself.

Let’s be real it will. My budget is too low and until I can get the supplies to get my soil properly organic and amended right I can’t say I won’t run into this again. Indoor gardening is new to me and I can’t grow outside, so all I can do is attempt to translate what I know into indoor, but even then it’s not much and it’s why I ask so many questions.

2 Likes

I’m experimenting in my greenhouse grow. Gonna use a soilless mix from beginning to end. That’s really gonna test the new Megacrop too. I have all kinds of variables I’m testing right now. It’s a lot of fun!

3 Likes

Maybe I’ll learn more about my soil through watching your thread too. I definitely think the DE application may have made my soil too hydrophobic down the line once fully dry.

I am loving the new soil structure once the ewc started to work around the mix though. it feels like moisture is still in the soil even when it’s dry, but it’s not like it’s stuck together choking out oxygen.

2 Likes

Haven’t been super concerned about bugs yet as they are in the greenhouse, but I was considering trying neem oil as a preventative. They are only working on their 3rd leaves right now, so… later… when they are bigger

Yeah, worm shit! Magical stuff!

2 Likes

I’m hoping that it’ll help get the nesquik like dirt somewhat back to soil again.

What’s the advice on when I transplant to the new pots? I’ll probably lose a huge chunk of the perlite and dirt unless it’s back to soil by then somehow. Fingers crossed on the ewc😁

I’m pretty sure I’ll have to replace the soil around the roots during the transplant. Who knows though

1 Like

Don’t go too crazy on the roots. Just give it a very light shake and do it as quickly as possible. I usually give them fish and kelp and vitamin b after. If you get the right soil perlite won’t be a problem. You’ll get everything you need, but if you want to add more go just a little this time

2 Likes

Yeah I was thinking of taking the perlite that’s in the spare 3 gallon bag in my bedroom and whatever perlite is in that should do fine. I won’t have enough time to amend soil after I take them out of the pots.

I wasn’t thinking of shaking then or anything. I just meant it’s dry pockets crunch when given a basic feel test for structure. Gentle enough to not bruise roots, but moved around a dry pocket for sure😅

Unless that changes I’ll let you liable to make a mess just getting them out. The sides I guarantee will fall all over the place :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Totally, you’ll probably just tear them or cut the bags. It’s gonna be traumatic. Probably more for you, than the plant. lol I used the fabric pots and had to cut them and tear the roots off the bottom, I was traumatized, the plants recovered.

1 Like

Zelda’s likely to be near the bottom soon. I saw overwatering symptoms when the only area retaining too much water was the last 2" on bottom.

Maybe it’s me, but it seems that she’s near the height of the pot now and she’s already as wide. With Indigo I’ve learned that even a light transplant can be traumatic, but in the end they’ll pull through. Though Indigo looks a bit phosphorus deficient. I’ve been keeping an eye on them and waiting it out to watch it progress to be sure taking extra pics when new progress shows itself.

I’m getting lower overall anxiety without my xbox as much as I’m addicted to the thing. I’m forced without it and my plants are more important to me.

1 Like