Online or Brick and Mortar

You know what you can’t get from an amazon seller? Good conversation, years of experience, grow tips, access to special cuts and seeds, COMMUNITY. If you want to be alone with your grow, order online and you will have plenty of time to count the handful of dollars you save. I will drive 45 minutes to a grow store before I will buy online. I have created a good relationship with at least 2 grow shops in the las 4 years and I can’t imagine not having those connections. I also run a few small businesses and it’s freaking tough out there. Every dollar to a local player gets is worth 10 times what a dollar is to an amazon seller. your locals will take care of you and actually appreciate your business. Most shops will get close or match online pricing, just ask. I love a deal, and i am a cheap ass… but i gotta tell you it actually feels good to pay $5 more for that fan from the local store than it does to wait for for amazon when I know I am helping out a small business that has now become a trusted friend. I feel I could ask them any question in the world and they would take the time to make sure I got an answer.

5 Likes

This is all really good insight you guys and I really appreciate it. Where I live, there isn’t a grow store in any direction closer than 45 with no traffic. @Greenup you bring up a really important point about community. I have a grander vision to make a grow shop that is also like a cafe that funnels some of it’s profits back into community outreach work.

2 Likes

I’m definitely an in store guy, I love going to the hydro store, but if the price is right, I’m poor so I gotta save where I can, I stopped buying my canna in stores as it was always old stock. But I gotta admit indoor farmer is absolutely epic and I try and buy anything from them as the owners are friends and they truly have done things right the last 7 years or so. I was there at the grand opening and in 7 years they have built a literal empire.

3 Likes

Anybody have any last minute advice on why I shouldn’t undertake this venture?

2 Likes

Do your due diligence. Talk to other store owners about the issues they encounter. The nearest hydro store that opened up after legalization closest to us closed in two years. I know everyone means well when it comes to supporting their local businesses, but I really believe the majority of people are going to listen to their wallet. It’s tough to compete with Amazon. I admire people that take risks and follow their dreams, but half of the best businesses fail within the first couple of years.

4 Likes

I know one grow shop that’s still open since forever. He’s been pretty deep in the “game” though. Alot of us depended on him when it was illegal, and no one ordered online. He’s in an awesome spot. I used to live across the street. All the big grows buy from him.

Everything else is closed, including nurseries.

4 Likes

I currently run an online store and work 10-12hr day at my regular job. If expenses is an issue, start with the online. If not, take a stab at it. The website can always come after. Best of luck on the decision!:green_heart::pray:

3 Likes

Had a local hydro store forever, few years back he clisex, couldn’t compete with online pricing.

Started running down I95 through the city, construction, for a 1.5 to 2hr round-trip. They just closed…

Closest brick and mortar is in neighboring state, which I hate to support.

With reusable medium now I just tap some keys and a truck shows up.

3 Likes

I think the smart money is telling me to wait a few more months and see if the economy completely eats shit, hard landing style, like some people are starting to predict again. The last thing I want to do is get stuck in one of these multi year retail leases just to have everything collapse around me. People won’t be buying nutes from me or the internet.

7 Likes

We use Amazon less and less, anymore.
Myself, if I had not had a shop to go to and see all of their LED’s offerings, glowing, I’d have never bought any one of them.
I’m blessed to have a great shop, 15-20 miles from me.
It’s a delicious scooter run to boot. Or in the PU if in the winter.
Bringing home a bale of ProMix or Sunshine #4 mix, on the back of a 250 cc scooter, makes it more special. Strap it down and fly, after I slip a contractor bag down over it.
All country riding, just love going to the kids shop.
When he opened up 12 years ago, or so, he was in one slice, of the strip of stores, and now, has grown into the whole strip of stores presently.
Super nice guy, nice on line store also.
Gary built a great shop, in the sticks, where everyone, in our game around here, knew he would fail.
There is another one, towards Harrisburg, but if you do not call there first, you have no idea what is on their shelves, as they have/had zero worth while online options, like answering a simple email.

3 Likes

Recently i placed a decent online order to HTG supply to grab alot of clearence deals. Comparable pricing is usually my reason for shoopin anywhere because im cheap and thrifty.

I soon after needed wettable sulfur and i ran to the local hydro shop
The guy had no idea what it was, and suggested sulfur pellets for a burner, which he was out of stock of anyway.
I called up the other shops nearby and they didnt have it either, soo a quick google and i find an amazon listing. For what i need and it shows up 3 days later. Ive never bought prime ever, but sometimes they are the lesser evil.

I think if you make a shop on amazon and send them stock you can play both sides of the field.

Also i like when a local grow place has their product lineup online so i can see if they have what i need before going there or calling them to ask.

2 Likes

I think you still should, maybe in a different capacity than you might be thinking. Wholesale, to the brick and mortar shops. Regular “gardening” is still a much bigger market. Not sure where you live, but you can grow plants, veggies, flowers etc…and people love seeing that. Guy I mentioned had a tree growing in the middle of the small shop, it made a lot of people walk in and talk to him. I think it was banana or something. Also, being very close to where a lot of people didn’t have vehicles, and many would walk over with shopping carts.

1 Like