Plant trainers

Anyone tried these for training purposes?

9 Likes

I wouldnā€™t mind getting them as a present. Pretty neat, thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

You bet, I have had good luck with string and a tomato cage

3 Likes

Actually kind of cool. Wish I had a 3d printerā€¦

4 Likes

yea there is probably a file already for it lol

2 Likes

They do look like nice. I would make sure they get a little pinch and squeeze before using them. I donā€™t know how I would feel leaving them on the whole grow tho. The stalk will try to grow around them.

3 Likes

Just found a few files but Amazon has Chinese knockoffs for cheaper than it would cost to print them.

3 Likes

I bought some from Amazon a while back, but havenā€™t used them yet. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m using them right now and they work decently well. There are two versions, full size and smaller ones for thin branches. I only bought the large versions. I have found they work very well and open up the canopy without tying anything down. My only drawback is if the stem is too small they will fall off.

4 Likes

Let me know if you want pics

3 Likes

This too. Happens a little bit. Although what I have found is if the stem is too thick, itā€™ll most likely just make the stem trainer pop off.

3 Likes

I see a lot of them on IG. They are pretty cool looking, but nothing I couldnā€™t do with just flopping and some string. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

a few bamboo stakes and a bunch of pipe cleaners do a great obā€¦

Friend, Commercial Grower (Veggies and now Cannabis) uses them on Tomato Plants AND Cannabis to increase lateral growth and improve air flow. Iā€™ve ordered some, but yet to use them. When I restart in the Fall/Winter, will indeed use them. SS/BWā€¦mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Now what happens if you need to relocate because the growth tip turned up? Do you add another manipulator and grow a staircase? Iā€™m a newbie who donā€™t know stuff so I am just trying to understand.

1 Like

Used them this year and they work great. Easy to manage with a couple of minutes here and there. Will be using these in the future.

Disadvantage is that even the ā€˜largeā€™ versions arenā€™t as large as Iā€™d like them.

There are a whole variety of similar trainers on Etsy for a bit less in price with varying features. Some of which I have yet to figure out.

2 Likes

I bought some cheap ones on Amazon and they are ok, I guess lol. I got the 45Ā° angle ones, I should have gotten the 90Ā°. Maybe itā€™s just because I got the super cheap ones, but the plant usually goes flat where I clip instead of angled, like it eventually over powers the clip through growth. I feel like Iā€™m explaining poorly and itā€™s lights out so I canā€™t take pics

1 Like

there is a 3d printer at our public library

1 Like

I might have to see if mine does. Unless you meant ā€œourā€ as in we share one and you somehow know this? :thinking: :smile:

Ha ha, hopefully we all are able to use some type of public library. Many do have 3D printers and computers :grinning:

1 Like