Online or Brick and Mortar

What’s up everybody? I was wondering if y’all might take a minute or two to help me out with something.

When you’re out buying your cannabis growing gear and materials, do you shop primarily online or do you like going to a local grow store where you can physically put your hands on things?

If you shop online only, is it for the best prices? Convenience of delivery?

What would you like to see at a local store that would make that your go to all the time?

9 Likes

I like to go to the local grow store to help the small business. Only thing I didn’t like was one time I went and saw a fan, I could have got it from the site directly but wanted to give them the business. The guy said I should just order it online. I was like, if I did that you wouldn’t have a job. Oh well, back onto topic, I like in person before online.
PS
I don’t get out much.

9 Likes

please answer that cause we cant get people to come in for MJ products.
FF is less expensive online shipped to my door than it is with my employee discount.

This is the literal list i gave to management before winter for this year

7 Likes

I prefer to buy at a store in person. I will order online if I have to though.

6 Likes

The people that do come in are older. Anyone under 25 seems to buy online. Or somewhere i am not…

3 Likes

Are you in a less than legal state? Like is there a paranoia factor that’s keeping certain people coming in and others shopping online?

3 Likes

I buy my soil in store because it’s cheaper, and I get it when I’m in the area. You know me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:For everything else I try and do some research on what I need, price options and decide where to buy it from there.

How soon I need the thing plays a big part. If I need it today or tomorrow. Im running to the store. A week or more, ordering online is fine.

4 Likes

NY is still pretty much stuck in limbo but its kinda legal to grow depending who you ask. Either way we keep to ourselves for the most part.
I dont think paranoia plays a role like it use to when i started growing 15 years ago.
( we are a nursery not a grow shop) The old folks still like to come in with a grin and talk about their “tomatoes”

6 Likes

No grow stores with 100 miles, just gardening stores
Added. Yeah, soil and ferts, local, lights online
Should a been more specific

3 Likes

@Prince I’m a big store shopper as well. I like interacting with people. Even before VA legalized I was constantly in the local hydro store chopping it up with the owner in super secret code lol.

3 Likes

I get most of my stuff online as there’s no town close to us. The garden center in the nearest town has a hydro area but it’s poorly stocked and prices are way higher than what I can get online. I’d love to give a local business my cash but can’t afford a 30% premium just to do it.

4 Likes

I use both. I buy what I can from my local shops, as long as the price is at least comparable. Some stuff I am forced to order online because it’s not available locally.

Heavy stuff like soil, or anything else that would cost too much to ship, I always buy locally.
I like buying nutrients from my local shops too. I’ve bought nutrients online that came with the seal broken and water added, or had mold/slime growing inside the bottle. I know my local shops well enough to know which ones to buy nutrients from and which to avoid (believe it or not we still have shops that water down their bottles of nutrients).

All my MH, CMH and HPS lights/reflectors were bought at local shops. All of my LED lights I bought online. I have one website I normally use. They are a “small” business based in the US, don’t charge tax and pretty much always have the best price. And the owner is great. The same lights in my local hydro shop cost hundreds more. I like to support local business when I can, but I am also on a semi-tight budget so price matters to me.

2 Likes

I wasn’t a victim of it, but I still have nightmares about “Operation Green Merchant.” It’s tough getting past that paranoia. We do most of our supply shopping online.

5 Likes

I get everything online. If I cant have it sent to my door, I dont want it.

I also hate going shopping in general and find most people to be less than desirable.

11 Likes

There is a grow shop fairly locally, attached to a dispo, but I’m not super keen on it. Just not that knowledgable (like, they looked at me like I was speaking in tongues when I asked if they carry Beauvaria Bassiana). The local chain garden supply shop stocks a fairly large selection of grow products, and medium et cetera (FF, Coast of Maine, etc) at a generally reasonable price. When I want something quickly I’ll usually go there first.

And then I do buy some things online, because they aren’t available locally.

3 Likes

I understand that completely. I was still a little young to really have to worry about that decade and it’s horseshit outside of evading local law enforcement while moving bags from person to person.

3 Likes

I like to support my local shops. It may be a little more expensive than online but i like the in person experience and seeing different ferts and lights IRL. Its also a good opportunity to chat with people about what they are growing and compare pics of current grows.

4 Likes

Would anyone be interested in a store that offered a monthly membership fee that unlocked almost at cost pricing?

3 Likes

Online strictly still… I reside in the shadows and the local shops are constantly watched. I even go as far as ordering from Amazon with some items since they rebox.

I do however see a need to go local depending on what is needed. I would like to go pick something up, if I needed it asap. I dunno about a monthly subscription but some rewards program would be great. People grow all sorts of stuff so I think making sales with a brick and mortar would do fine! :green_heart::pray:

2 Likes

It depends. We have some solid shops in town. None are super close, but it’s not bad. I really like the service. It’s worth something to some people for sure. The prices are actually competitive, but the drive kills it for me unless I need it now. However, they have a few items they have cornered. i can’t get perlite of the quality i want for a better price. that’s super cool. i don’t think it’s a loss leader, but it could be.

I don’t have to make a charity out of it. these guys find ways to draw people to their store and occasionally beat the online market. they make it competitive. it works for them and the zon class who actually get most of my money. competitive advantage is just econs playing out. it’s supposed to benefit the consumer.

3 Likes