Looking for a mentor to go legal

NYS is still working on the details as to who gets commercial weed licenses, but what is cool about the law is that 50 percent of the licenses will go to “equity applicants” which includes disabled vets, minorities, women, and people with prior pot convictions.

I hit two of those boxes (female, got busted in 2002), am nearing retirement, have a few assets and am known in my circle for my edibles (infused and otherwise)

I’ve done pop up art shows with some branding and my vision is a boutique farm to table type establishment. Small, high end and artsy product. Profitability would be nice, but it will also be a labor of love.

Having my own grow will allow me greater control over the end product (right now I get prepared butter from a farmer friend) and I’m literally “soaking” in the tincture thread right now.

Anyway, I’m great with vision but shitty with business and would love to connect with an experienced marijuana business person.

22 Likes

Good luck! I bet you will need a multimillion dollar backer to even sniff at being legal. I dont care what they propsed…lol Hopefully I am dead wrong, and you can pull it off.

3 Likes

I hope you’re wrong. 50 percent of all licenses are supposed to go to folk like me. I’m not worried about the cash aspect as much as the following rules business stuff.

3 Likes

I truly hope I am also, but unfortunately the government does have a track record…lol
I truly wish you the best of luck in that endeavor :+1:

2 Likes

Yikes
" Are there any application fees ? Yes. Each application must be accompanied by two fees : a $10,000 non-refundable application fee and a $200,000 biennially renewing registration fee which will be refunded should the organization be denied a registration. Will New York allow for more organizations in the future?"

Good luck. 210 grand, just to apply :joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I think we all knew that 50% wasn’t going to happen. But you have a chance at least. A friend asked me the other day “how do get licensed to sell to the dispensaries”. A few million dollar and really good social/political ties. Same as any other business the government regulates, I’d guess.

But that’s Illinois, I’m sure NY is much better lmao. Sorry if we’re bringing you down. We all would love to see you succeed.

4 Likes

I would make sure you have at the very least $500,000 in cash, they just might have a look at you (doubtful), I live here, I know better, it’s all a dream …

1 Like

So yeah, buzz killers lol. I know there are obstacles and I think NY is committed to restorative justice. I’m old and could raise the up fronts which I’m hoping will be somewhat more reasonable for equity applicants. Any business is gonna need money and I want business planny kinda advice, who to network with locally yada yada yada. My background is in program design and development so I know how to actualize a vision, just not in a commercial environment.

3 Likes

That is very decent of NYS to do something with past victims of cannabis prohibition. Compare that to CO where even a prior touch of weed in your background can blacklist you from even being a damn budtender.

3 Likes

Just like Canada, so far. I bet all the connected folks have an uncle or some ‘target group’ relative waiting to sign off for a couple grand. Y’know like everyone has a relative that works at GM when the family discount sale happens. A shame its a sham, like here, you gotta have a million in assets, and NO agricultural skills (or integrity) whatsoever. I hope you can find a benefactor with deep pockets and a desire to see YOU succeed. Even ‘craft’ growing licences need at least half a mil…

2 Likes

100 grand a year straight up extortion, protection money if you will. Par for the course. Have to remember, you belonging to an “equity” group really means nothing …unless you also belong to the 1% group. Its funny how that works.

4 Likes

It would be very difficult to actually be feasible for business based on the cost just to get started. Even though they will proclaim to be helping out …or making things “equitable” it’s a sham. Places like New York have super high taxes already so add the fees in the beginning stage you would need to turn out over 250k a year in business at minimum just to cover taxes and other costs just my thoughts. The game is rigged for people who are already established and have access to pockets both political and investors

2 Likes

Well, I’ll still troll for a mentor and see what happens - I am of the fatally optimistic persuasion and really like a challenge. It may be more fun just to stay under the radar and do my thing for shits and giggles in retirement. Pop up events are super fun, more like a party with shopping.

3 Likes

That’s a winning attitude, I have seen more come from those who have been given every reason why they cant but keep moving forward

1 Like

Have you seen this thread, yet?

2 Likes

thx! I’ll check it out.