Oranje's Adventures in Vegging

Wow! @oranje is killing it in here!
Very happy and well managed plants. Very impressive.

Stay hazed
Jake

2 Likes

Nice even canopy with all the different strains. I always have pots on top of pots to try to even things up. I’m excited to see where this goes from here… Starting a new thread for flowering?

1 Like

Yep, hopefully will start to move more towards perpetual flower – that’s the goal, so I’ll start my forever-in-flower thread soon. I’m still getting the hang of growing without liquid nutrients (y’know, except for teas and other homemade concoctions), but hopefully they’ll stay healthy well into flower. Don’t curse me with compliments, @Blowingupjake :grin:

5 Likes

LOL - I need to add warning labels. I keep a pair of UV blocking safety glasses around at all times working with these lights.

The plants look great. The 5000K spectrum is perfect for vegging, the spectrum and lumen output keeps things squat and bushy. A few other growers have mentioned how it seems to even out the canopy even among different strains. How hard are you running them?

8 Likes

:grin: No permanent damage, and I knew they were going to be bright… I was more surprised by just how bright they were, as pictures do not do them justice.

I don’t have precise power consumption measurements, but my ballpark guess is that I’m running them around 60% (so ~120 watts) right now at about 18 inches above the canopy. I’ll probably leave things like this for another week and tweak if need be, but everything in there seems quite happy for the moment.

7 Likes

Just a quick update over here, as the rest of the year’s excitement will probably go down in my flowering fiesta thread

My babies are growing a lot :grin: I’m very pleased with the #solstrip fixtures so far, and can’t imagine that opinion is going to change. Internodal distance with 5000K is great, and everything is lush and happy. Praise be to the weed gods.

I’ve also set up a shade garden below the canopy – not to say it’s entirely shady, the light penetration is great. Just not quite the intensity of the top.

Apologies for the condition of my Escargot Begonia – it did not respond well to the arrival of New England winter, but is quickly recovering.

As you can see, the tent is full, so this thread will probably hibernate until I have room to veg something new. Next in the queue: Bingo Pajama (Queen Kudra Kush x Appalachia) from Bodhi, General’s Daughter (G13 x Cinderella99) from #fleurdumal, and Black Lights (Black Domina x NL#1) from Coastal Seed Company. So many great strains, so little space :grin:

9 Likes

… forking this off from my flower thread …

Mine very much has the deep blue-green leaves – like “that’s got to be a deficiency” blue/green leaves. But your old one didn’t have little leaf quirks? I could have sworn I read that this was a Common Thing™ with Blueberry, but I guess not :grin: I guess each breeder has their own variation, and DJS opted to go with the Odd Mutation variant? :thinking:

It’s a bit unsettling, isn’t it? Not all leaves are quirky, and I see no sign that it stems from deficiencies, pest, or disease: only the Blueberry do it, all Blueberry do it, and they’ve done this both while soil-fed and bottle-fed. But they’re happy and healthy, so I’ll let them do their thing.

Anyway, your Blueberry look obscenely chunky and delicious – I can imagine why it’s your favorite of the moment. If mine turns out anything remotely close to that, I’ll be a happy camper indeed :grin:

5 Likes

maybe its just hungrier than your other strains. my northern lights needs ~20% more feed than the others.

i was deleafing today and one of the plants just stunk like blueberry i haven’t smelled it in a while but lol i don’t have a blueberry in flower i wonder which one it was

it was the green crack

3 Likes

Thanks for the great info @oranje
I have 3 different Blueberry mother plants right now (DutchPassion) I don’t get that bleaching/mosaic pattern on any of them. I’ve done it to other genetics tho. I think I will have a grow-off with some of DJShorts Blueberry next time I make a seed order.

2 Likes

Dear Internet Diary,

I’m now in the “hacking back my plants because I have no space in the flower tent” phase of vegging :laughing: Still prefer that to “everything is dying and I don’t know why.” Anyway. Canopy looks almost the same as last time around, just much taller. I’m about 10 inches away from the LEDs at this point and getting what’s probably a bit of light burn – then again, they’re 2-foot plants in 1-gallon soil pots, so potbound nutrient problems are surely on the horizon.

Blueberry continues to be weird, but still seems happy. The one below has more variegation than straight deformities, and also seems to be the branchiest of the three. Think this might be the keeper of the bunch.

In other news, all of the pre-flowering clones I took died :grin: I used a new organic seedling/cutting mix, and its water-holding capacity was way too high for my usual cloning method. The Apollo 11 clones failed fast, and I think the post-12/12 clones I took (using my usual cutting soil mix) have rooted. I really wish the ChemD x Sunshine Daydream clone took, however. That plant appears to be :fireworks::fire::fireworks:. Hopefully I can keep it happy through flower and re-veg…

8 Likes

FWIW, I have found Blueberry or even half-BB strains to like very low nutes - they burn easily. They are the most sensitive to fertilizer of any strain I’ve grown and I always give them less. The HuckleberryX GSC I just grew was similar, they started burning in veg so I cut back on fertilizer in the flowering mix.

6 Likes

thanks that’s good to know, i’ll keep an eye for that. i have been feeding my solo cup plants at the same strength as my flowering plants tho and haven’t seen any burn yet (10g maxi/gallon - probably around 2EC or over)

That is almost a verification trait of Blueberry. I grew DJ’s original BB release in '94, a second generation release I have now, and several BB crosses over the years. Leaf variegation (white splotches) and deformation showed up in all of them. I’d be skeptical of crosses that never showed them. It’s a problem with Blueberry, a sign of inbreeding depression and homozygous genetic profile. Which is probably the reason BB shines more often in crosses than as a pure strain.

-b420

8 Likes

Sorry may be off topic but @Baudelaire from all the strains i have grown of yours the only difference I noticed so far was in the Janis which I believe has some of the DJ Shorts Blueberry in her Pedigree, All the rest were so uniform they could have been clones :punch::muscle::+1::thumbsup::sunglasses::wink:.

Also please may I ask how do you pronounce her name Janis with a Jay or Janis with a Y as in Yanis (gGreek) or Janis with the Jay UK spelling of a Ladies Name Jannis ? @Baudelaire

4 Likes

Janis with a hard “J” as in jam. Named after San Francisco’s (and Port Arthur’s) own blues legend Janis Joplin.

You are correct as to the Blueberry in Janis. And it was early, original DJ Short BB, so the traits definitely show up in Janis (Sensi Silver Pearl x (Aloha White Widow x DJ Short BB)). As the BB gets diluted through out-crossing the traits are expressed far less frequently.

-b420

6 Likes

I am so bad at seedlings :sob: They pop up happily, grow well for a week, and then just seem to start crawling… Aside from my A13 over the summer, I can usually get them into “big enough to repot” state, but that usually takes several weeks… it’d be nice if I could start plants of healthy and keep them going that way.

Bingo Pajama, day 20:

Not terrible, but that lightening between the veins isn’t healthy. This one hasn’t been fed yet, so maybe it’s time to give it a little something?

C99, day 27:

… this one is doing that trick where the leaves are starting to die back. I did give this one a very mild feeding a week ago, which (maybe coincidentally?) seems to have coincided with the oldest leaves beginning to wither and die.

My seedling mix is Happy Frog + 1/3 perlite, which sounds entirely reasonable – mild soil, and drainage seems great. I’ve been letting the soil surface turn bone dry between waterings, and have a dedicated seedling pot with wet soil to compare the pot weight with the seedlings in an effort to avoid over-watering.

Anyway. Just venting. I guess I have my FDM breeder packs to help me experiment and figure out where I’m going wrong, so maybe it’s time to start a bunch of seeds and science the heck out of them.

5 Likes

This sounds like a soil issue. The first week the plant will use its cotyledons for food if it can’t take it from the soil and runs out after about a week. How long does it take for the cotyledons to brown and wither? Should last 3-4 weeks anyway.

This plant is at 40 days and mostly finished them off about a week ago. There is still some green left near the stalk.

You got to see what @Uncle_Al has done.

2 Likes

Well, my summer of seedling horrors thread documents my killing of four Apollo 13 seedlings without being able to figure out what I was doing wrong, but the ChemD x Sunshine Daydream guinea pig used to test my soil survived and is 47 days into flowering. As for my soils, I’ve tried…

• Happy Frog
  • Light Warrior
  • Coast of Maine Seed Starting Mix
  • Espoma Seed Starting Mix
  • Coast of Maine “Platinum Blend,” cut with 50% coco
  • Homemade seedling mix (1/3 compost, 1/3 coco, 1/3 perlite)

… there may have been others. Happy Frog and Espoma are the two that have given me the best results. Tested pH on most of the above and nothing was too out-of-whack (6.5 to 7.0). Also the :confused: part is that I use the same soil (mainly Happy Frog) for clones without issue… so if soil pH or nutrients were the cause, I’d assume my clones would be in the same situation.

Specific to the cotyledons, the Bingo Pajama has hints of yellow, the C99’s are completely crisp. Ugh. Guess I’ll feed them… I don’t have an immediate need for these plants, so if that’s not the answer and they get worse, so be it.

2 Likes

Do you amend your store bought soil? That some plants have the issue and others don’t, makes me think its an issue of inches and not miles. :smile:

I’m beginning to think it is a problem with root formation. See Uncle Al’s test for phosphorous. Do you use tap water? If you are comfortable with Espoma products ( I love them) try amending your soil with Plant Tone and be sure the pH stays close to what you have now.

I am finding that by top dressing my store bought soil (Roots 707) with very small amounts of my own compost from my worm bin, my only issue is the plants are getting root bound more quickly than I am used to.

Thanks @lotus710!

99%

1 Like

Not for seedlings (aside from extra perlite), and rarely for vegging.

I believe it, I will do that (probably post-xmas), and no: using RO at this point… the legends of the hat factories at the bottom of Quabbin and all :laughing:

Do you use 707 for seedlings, too? At this point, I’m willing to try someone else’s formula for success :grin: