Organic Adventures

Worm bin idea:

Hey All, I’ve been collecting items for the works and had several frozen bags in the freezer and it was getting cluttered up… So I made " Worm Smoothy" 🪱 … This is what I did…

Took all these bags and jammed everything into the blender;

Blended the hell outta it with a bottle of water…

End product:

Now, I’ll freeze this soild and whenever I need to feed the worms, just break off some chunks, as it melts, it adds moisture to the soil and it’s already blended down tiny for the worms to actually eat it up…

What you guys think about this.?

8 Likes

Hey! Thanks!! :grin:

2 Likes

Hey! Right now my worm population is growing up. I should be able to sell in a few weeks!

6 Likes

This is definitely one place on earth you can be called the worm guy and be super popular! I’m sure that would be tough in high school. :joy:

Welcome to overgrow, and let me know when you get your population up. I have euros, but want some redworms.

8 Likes

After reading this info I went to the bait shop and they only had earth worms so got a container. I put them in the tub of soil on one end where I had put two 3 gal of soil and old leaves and roots. Do they need food too? I thought they ate the leaves and roots.
:seedling: :sunflower: :hibiscus: :wilted_flower:

3 Likes

Good question :thinking: maybe an expert @TheWormGuy can help answer this?

1 Like

The advantage in giving them additional food like coffee grinds, egg shells, avo and mango skins etc is it adds more diversity in to the finished product… egg shells for calcium, coffee for nitrogen etc. But more importantly this brings the worms in to the same area so they can touch each other which they need to do to be able to breed and multiply.

Micro feeding is the key, they only have little mouths and the common mistake is to dump all your organic scraps in there and this in turn creates an anaerobic environment. Compost the scraps and just feed selected items to the little guys :v:t4:

5 Likes

Excellent idea you could go big like a baking sheet and throw it in the freezer … just don’t let the significant other know of your plans! Lol

4 Likes

Haha @CADMAN you have the same store bowl sytem as we do ! Got them from Amazon! Use them all the time for my lunches at work! Lol

3 Likes

Earth worms don’t generally work very well for several reasons. Iirc they have to stay pretty cold, and I don’t believe they compost much.

@anon93244739

5 Likes

Using old branches from trim works nicely as well as mulch

3 Likes

I love these bowls, I’ve got probably 20 of them and use them for everything, freeze em, microwave then, food, cat food, lunches and anything els I can think of. Lol

1 Like

Sounds like I need to expand my utilities of them! Lol

1 Like

Well, darn! They are in there now. I will get the little guys when available.

:seedling: :cherry_blossom: :white_flower: :rosette: :rose: :hibiscus: :sunflower: :blossom: :tulip: :seedling: Welcome Spring!

1 Like

Who knows how to make Egg carton confetti the easy way? Uhhg…

Scissors :scissors: suxk lol

2 Likes

I was thinking about that a couple days ago as I have not been feeding them any paper products. (I was thinking newspaper inks are probably not good)

My plan is to save paper towel tubes and TP tubes then run them through the shredder.
Egg cartons (like yours above) are compressed pulp so they should come apart in solution easily. Soak and blend?

Worm smoothies ~ Great idea! :sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Was thinking the same about Newspaper inks & and not about to buy a paper Shreeder :confused:

I just cut it up when I’m board or watching some TV ext. Been feeding the cardboard a little at a time when I feed them and give a little water sprinkle…

2 Likes

This is why I live here :rofl: Great idea.
:seedling: :tulip: :blossom: :sunflower: :hibiscus: :rose: :rosette: :white_flower: :cherry_blossom: :seedling:

2 Likes

Don’t paper towel tubes usually have that glue on them? I know mine always do; it’s why I never use the last paper towel. Whenever I do, I always end up with a weird residue on my hands that I have to rinse off. Might not be the best thing to be feeding worms.

2 Likes

I’m sure they have something binding them together. (Nothing visible) I haven’t seen anything that would be an issue.

2 Likes