Orloff's bean graveyard

welcome @Orloff ! Glad you ended up here, looking forward to your thread. Hoping to see you have some successful germination rates on some of this older gear. I am also planning on trying to germ some of the older stuff in my collection. As always I hope to preserve and share lines with my friends on here.
Best of luck brother !

5 Likes

I agree :+1: A short little winter nap could be what they need.
All of my 15+ year old seeds have popped and all were stored in the fridge the whole time.

5 Likes

Mine are constantly in the deep feeeze

7 Likes

Same here deep freeze storage is the only way to fly .

7 Likes

Shhhh be very quiet, others think they know better

7 Likes

As my stash grows larger i have been contemplating a small chest freezer dedicated to seeds. My bulging fanny pack looks suspicious in my kitchen fridge. Lol

9 Likes

Same here i need a little walmart fridge freezer not only for that but i just need oneā€¦lol

3 Likes

Definatly me to should be having some in the next few months

Peace out and be safe

3 Likes

What the heck guys, I step away for a day and you start your own party :rofl:. Seriously, thanks for the warm welcome, support and advice, I definitely feel like I made the right choice pitching my tent here. I promise I am actually capable of growing something green :wink:.

I am trying to figure out a way to quote multiple users in a single post so I can reply to everyone, but it seems hard. So Iā€™ll type manually.

@ShiskaberrySavior: I tried my set-top box, but it seems warmer than most, heating to 33 degrees C, which is a bit high for germination. This last round I put my seeds on a shelf in my storage/utility/growing room. Thereā€™s little variance in temperatures: 24.5-24.9 over the last few days. The freezer trick is something I havenā€™t tried yet, but seeing more people suggest it here, I am thinking about it.

@SamwellBB thanks man, good to be back! The thing is, my existing storage method all but eliminated light and moisture, leaving only temperature as the variable. Thatā€™s why I was expecting better results. I have a freezer now and plan on storing my future seeds that way.

@beacher the direct sow method is something I was always curious about, seems the most natural way to sprout themā€¦ I would like to try it for sure, the trouble is that all non-essential stores are closed in my country due to Covid. That also includes gardening centers. I need some starting peat mix.

@Grohio what can I say man, you donā€™t even know me and you are offering me beansā€¦ several people have already done so here, you guys are awesome and I feel humbled. That said, I am from EU, so maybe some other time. Big thanks anyway!

@dequilo good to know your tribulations are over now :laughing:. Thanks!

@OleReynard I wish! Havenā€™t seen him anywhere yet, I sure hope he is still active and around. Iā€™ll drag him here if I find him.

@George thanks for the link, I checked it and like @Strayfox protocol a lot. I makes sense.

11 Likes

Seems I canā€™t mention more than 10 people in a single post, so here is the second part.

@misterbee I read about scuffing and did it to all my beans with 200-something paper. Expect the very first batch of E$koā€™s seeds that I tried, I just dunked those in a shotglass of tap water like I used to do :sweat_smile:.

@Comacus I didnā€™t use a pill bottle, I just rolled sandpaper into a little tube, put the seeds in and plugged both ends with my fingers. Works like a charm and all seeds sank after 24hrs or so. They seem to have trouble in the next step thoughā€¦

@vernal floating till they sprout you say? Never tried that one, might sacrifice some and try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

@firehead haha it does sound awesome :grin: . Cosmic is the guy who made them though, so they are just Yeti Fighterā€¦ Thanks for the good vibes!

@J-Icky another trick for my repertoir, thanks brother.

@Eudaemon haha thanks man. I have no intention of stopping, still plenty of beans to try all the nice tricks and techniques I learned. Have some new ones on the way as well, so if everything else fails, I guess I will just try fresh seeds like a normal person :rofl:. Direct sow is definitely something I am very interested in.

@Deadinside88 thanks man, good the be here!

@mtntrogger much thanks, Iā€™ll be sure to document all my steps. Maybe my trials can be of use to someoneā€¦

9 Likes

Maybe our buddy @comacus has a handle on him, what say you Coma?
Or brother Juice, whereā€™s he hanging?

And now for the part youā€™ve been waiting for :joy:. My first round of pictures was taken after 24 hours in kelp water + 48 hours in paper towels. After taking the pics, I replaced the towels for some fresh ones because I was afraid of microbes/spores multiplying in a stale environment.

After 48 hours more, that proved to be a good precaution. Checking on my beans earlier, I found some seeds that have molded:

That said, we seem to have a survivor! One of the Yeti Fighters managed to put out a tail, even sitting next to a moldy bean!

I was honestly a little surprised and didnā€™t have my pellets ready. I was spying on their progress a bit and didnā€™t see the sprout, so I though they all died on me again. I have the Bear Grills bean in a fresh towerl while I hydrate a pellet for (hopefully) her. Fingers crossed she makes it into a real sprout!

8 Likes

if that was the case life would be grand :slight_smile:

but I ainā€™t heard the fat lady sing yet

5 Likes

Try home Depot, Walmart or dollar stores for some soil usually they have some small bags hiding out all winter.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure the survivorā€™s will to live is such that she will actually make it. But if she doesnā€™t, this is what I have left in my stash:

• Pure Gooey (Gooeybreeder) - really hoping for some sprouts here!
  • Roadkill Bubba (unknown, Potsnobs freebie)
  • Plushberry x Starfighter (unknown, Potsnobs freebie)
  • Dirty Citronella IX (unknown, Potsnobs freebie)
  • Cali Sunset F2 (professor)
  • Shiva X C99 (sannie freebie, I believe these were made by E$ko)
  • Zazen (gascanastan, before he was Swami :joy:)

As you can see, I still have some ammo left. I have 3 vectors of attack that I will try with them, based on your suggestions:

• direct sow + greenhouse
  • swimming untill sprout (water replacement every 24 hrs)
  • modified @Strayfox protocol.

The later will include:

• scuff
  • 24 hours in kelp water for gibberellins, trace elements, sugars and everything else that the magical seaweed proveides
  • 48 more hours in tap + H2O2 (didnā€™t have any, ordered some)
  • check every 12 hours for cracked seeds, move those into paper towels
  • paper towels are kept between two plates, no more plastic bags!
  • replace paper towels and clean plates every 24 hours max to avoid mould/bacteria
  • full moon is on 30.11., Iā€™ll see if I can wait that long for my next major sprouting pushā€¦ every day with an empty tent is killing my soul a little

I decided against GA3, donā€™t want to deal with stretched/mutated seedlings.

If all else fails, I have an order from Ace Seeds on the way. Just some pick and mix fems with Nepal Jam, Zamaldelica X Thai Chi, Tikal, CBD#1. I seriously hope they make it, itā€™s been over 10 days since payment and it usually takes 3-5 days from Spain to my country. Covid really fucks things upā€¦

5 Likes

No Home Depot or Walmart where Iā€™m from brother :grin:. We do have gardening stores though, but they are all closed due to virus situation. Only open stores are those with basic need items - food, hygiene etc.

4 Likes

I did have great luck with this method

all the best

Dequilo

2 Likes

Yes you can float them until they crack even if they sink. The big takeaway though is a little bit of heat is really really helpful.

6 Likes

@OleReynard and @Orloff Cosmic has not been on the boards either in a few years. Most are scattered around, and many are now on IG. Hopefully Cosmic will pop up again too one of these days!

6 Likes

The little survivor is still fighting! I planted it into a jiffy pellet 4 days ago, gave it a propagator all for itself and have been monitoring itā€™s progress. The little thing is definitely growing, but seems to have trouble shedding itā€™s helmet. Iā€™ve been lightly misting the shell a couple times a day in efforts to soften it and help the little thing out, but it hasnā€™t produced the desired effect.

Probably couldā€™ve waited a bit longer, but I did something a little more drastic today: Iā€™ve manually and very carefully tried to remove the shell. I got one half to fall off with little resistance, which Iā€™m hoping is enough for the little thing to manage the rest on itā€™s own. The seedling got a bit dislodged in the process, so I reburied it. Fingers crossed!

12 Likes