Outdoor Auto-Top MDWC in Hawaii- Yes, it can be done!

Hey family! Just wanted to share my current grow I am doing. I have some Chocolate Mint OG and Strawberry Banana Kush going. Simple set up really…just a gravity auto top MDWC. They are about 4 weeks flowering right now. Steady root zone temps of about 69 F and they are sitting in 1800ppm at .5 and go through about 1/3 of their water daily. I am doing a test grow with a new Phosphorous solubilizing microbial product and it seems to be working great. Also using H&G Aqua Flakes. Anyways, I’ll upload a photo (can only upload one as a new member). Happy growing!

11 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

6 Likes

those views are amazing, looks like paradise !

3 Likes

Haha! Paradise is a state of mind! :wink: I am blessed for sure!

3 Likes

frosty for young’ns.

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, I started using a new product on the market that seems to be increasing trichs production. It supposed to make potassium and phosphorus more available to the plant by using targeted microbes. Last harvest, I used it for the last 3 weeks only and I saw bigger yields on the same garden I have been growing for years. So I am running it all the way through this time for sure! lol

2 Likes

Nice setup and nice ladies…
The chocomint og from my last grow were A grade… great flavors and smell… covered in resin , violet resin on a particular plant…nice plants too…
Keep up the good work
DS

3 Likes

Thank you very much! I am excited to see what this harvest will bring. Love that Choc. Mint! Ever grown the Strawberry Banana Kush? @Dee.S73

1 Like

Not till now…
Got some strawberry glue going now though…:slight_smile:

This is what you’re gonna see in some weeks :

DS

4 Likes

:astonished: So beautiful!!!

1 Like

Hey folks! Wanting to give little update. So the 16 ladies have drank about 90 gallons of water over the last 14 days. I added more water to the control res yesterday. We are sitting at 2300ppm and 5.45 ph to 6.1 in the buckets. I am seeing that they have a small P deficiency. There is STILL not enough available P in the H&G Aqua Flakes to keep them 100%. I added another dose of Bio-Fizz yesterday so we should see in improvement on the purpling of the stems and leaf veins. So far, I am noticing more vigor, crystals and stronger, larger stalks on the plants compared to previous grows with same genetics since I have added the Bio-Fizz. Base of stalks are at about 1.25" across and plants are at 66 days from clone.

We are at 36 days for the Choc Mint OG and 29 days for the Strawberry Banana Kush. I’ll upload a pic of the Choc. Mint. You will see some slight tip burn on the leaves. I am having build up of salts since I have not flushed the system for 120 days. So before refilling nutes and control res yesterday, I let them have plain water for about 12 hours. What I am noticing is that no line of nutrients are tailored for an outdoor hydro grow. I have yet to come across a single or two part nutrient line that can keep up with the vigor of an outdoor hydro plant. The just do not have the balance needed in the nute mix. For outdoor hydro, you need more calcium,mg, P and K in a balanced way so that one concentration of one component does not cause lock up or problems for the whole plant. Every nutrient line I have tried seems to leave the plants needing more P and K. And when I raise the ppms to say 2800, they get the right amount but then the high concentration of other nutes are causing burning. I guess I need to come up with my own nute line now… lol.

8 Likes

Lovely ladies…
Peace,
DS

3 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

1 Like

That’s interesting about their vigor outdoor with hydro. makes sense to me if my brain is thinking right. I think the higher humidity in hawaii/tropical areas compliments the sunlight and amplifies it with refraction/reflection or something, which makes sense with vigor and increased nutes. Someone on here knows/has an explanation for light refraction.

Have you tried training one and letting another grow naturally, of the same strain before? And my question would be…If you had, did you notice the trained plant being hungrier? Again, looking amazing. Nice setup too, painting beautiful pictures of that paradise.

3 Likes

I have done training with both strains and naturally. In the past, each strain has had the same appetite really. Maybe trained was a bit more aggressive with feeding. But with previous grows, I was unable to achieve the ppms necessary to keep them happy. Something was always out of balance. But it does appear that the added Bio-Fizz is allowing greater flexibility in ph swings, as well as higher ppms. My theory is that the Bio-Fizz microbes are breaking down the nutrient molecules small enough that even at higher or lower PH, the plant is able to stay healthy and absorb enough nutrient. It is also helping them from being stressed, which is new to my gardens. I even had the buckets run dry completely one day in full sun, for 12 hours they were with no water, just dangling roots in the empty buckets and the plants bounced back within 2 hours of filling buckets back up. Couldn’t even tell they had been without water.

Thanks for stopping by and offering some vibes to the grow. Respect.

3 Likes

Dang you got them packed in there nice!

5 Likes

Maybe a little too much… I did not anticipate the stretch I guess really. Maybe a little too long veg… haha. My next batch is already bigger than when they went out and these still have to wait 3 weeks! Never have had this situation… haha! 30 ay veg is TOO much now… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have any updates for us?

2 Likes