Outdoor grillers/smokers/cookers unite

I haven’t cooked a brisket in almost a decade since the bbq shop I worked in. I should probably change that…:rofl:

2 Likes

225 until 160° then double wrap really tight in tin foil or butchers paper, back in the smoker until 195°. Take off the smoker, wrap in bath towel and place in a Coleman cooler for a couple hours (1 hr at least).

I keep my rub pretty simple, yellow mustard for binder, then a kosher salt, coarse black pepper, garlic powder and a little paprika.

You’re looking at a 12-15 hour smoke woth that big boy!

10 Likes

Jinglepot has it down. I will sometimes add tallow to the wrap. It will soften bark however.

3 Likes

That is nice.,

2 Likes

Built this clay oven many years ago, it’s the opposite of slow and low. Gets up to 900 degrees! Though I have made overnight pulled pork in it after a nice firing.

13 Likes

Thanks @Jinglepot. Now I am assuming these temps you are giving are in Fahrenheit? I will be using the spice I showed above to start with, so you suggest a coating of yellow mustard prior to putting on the rub? I have a remote meat probe so I will be able to monitor it without opening the grill. I read that the tight tinfoil wrap can help prevent cooking stall but will come at a cost of the bark? What do you find?

4 Likes

Butcher paper is easier on the bark in my experience. You can set that in a pan to hold the juices.

I know you didn’t ask me though :crazy_face:

3 Likes

If you don’t wrap it, it can take up to 18hrs to smoke, the bark will definitely be softer, but it still has all the flavor, I skipped right over the spice when I saw the brisket :sweat_smile: I got all excited, lol

I have smoked without wrapping and it was a bit on the dry side in comparison too.

I slather it in yellow mustard then evenly coat the rub all over it.

4 Likes

@Foreigner

3 Likes

Dam that’s gonna be good make sure to post the finished pic once it’s cooked .
I also have never cooked one but after seeing all the pictures I’m having a tough time to not drool .

1 Like

That’s not the only thing he coats in yellow mustard and rubs it all over.

:drum:

2 Likes

Ok, thanks bud. So coat it with yellow mustard and then rub. Set in fridge for 24 hours. Cook at 225F until it hits and internal temp of 160F and then double wrap tight. Back in BBQ until it reaches 195F and then wrap in towel and put in cooler to rest for a min of 1hr, a couple would be better. Thanks bud, I will give it a shot and see how it goes. I was tempted to freeze half of this beast but all I read say it’s not a great idea so I guess it’s going on the grill whole, lol. Should be interesting anyway. Got a couple grill thermometers coming tomorrow so I can experiment on where I got to put this thing at to keep a stable 225F.

Thanks @BeagleZ . Going to try tinfoil the first time. That’s one thing I am accustomed to cooking in.

4 Likes

2019 Hartford Rib Off - KCBS Event

10 Likes

Badump chsh :rofl::rofl::rofl: you got it pal, I call it a jaundice job

2 Likes

You got it, pal! You’re gonna rock it.

I cut mine in half most of the time. The flat suffers a bit as most of the fat is on the point. The point is just as good halved. When I do a flat half, I’m on it spritzing apple cider vinigar/apple juice 50/50 mix every 30 mins and wrapping earlier to keep is moist

Stay away from the Dijon unless you need to exfoliate :joy:

Salutations on the brisket. I love that shit.

3 Likes

It’s all about the grit

2 Likes

Doesn’t the constant opening of the grill mess with keeping your temp stable?

1 Like

It adds a little to the cook time, but its kinda necessary for a separated flat portion in my experience. Just a quick open, spritz and close, it doesn’t lose too much

1 Like

Cool, looks like I will be cooking 2 briskets, lol. Appreciate the guidance my friend. I did a bunch of reading and saw a bunch of videos but your advice got me out of the rabbit hole. Much appreciated :v:

1 Like