🕊 - Outdoor Growing Adventures With Your Friendly Neighbourhood Pigeonman - 2021/2022

Your garden is beautiful! You’re an amazing gardener to be able to keep up with all these plants. Does your grapefruit tree give you grapefruits?

3 Likes

1 Like

Thank you @ELG . It is a lot of work but it’s very worthwhile so I don’t feel the labour involved :smiley:

The white grapefruit was planted by seed with my family and raised as such. It’s about 30 years old now so I’m hoping it’ll start bearing fruit soon as that’s how long it takes for a tree to mature from seed for fruit. I’ve been feeding all my citrus fish emulsion which fellow citrus growers swear by to promote fruit production. I FREAKING HATE THE STUFF, but use it because I love my trees.

The ruby red grapefruit is new to me, and was recently down-potted and heavily trimmed so it’s all new growth being shown. I hope it’ll fruit next year but have to expectations for 2021.

Heck, they don’t need to fruit for me to love em.

@anonymous4289 → ACCURATE :laughing:

4 Likes

Okay I needed to get this out of my system.

Here’s my 15 year old Dwarf Pomegranate bonsai:

10 Likes

Thats pretty, you need to wrap some copper wire around some of those upper branches into nice horizontal shapes with some interesting bends.

3 Likes

This is untrained but I totally hear you! This wonder has been trimmed and pruned for shaping but no wire work. Actually, once I came home and found it knocked off its shelf (short shelf) and the branch it landed on snapped off cleanly and saved the rest of the plant. I was so upset until after replacing it on the shelf I noted that the break made her look like the “tree of life” in so many images. So, I thanked the squirrel by leaving a pile of seed ELSEWHERE as payment for it’s pruning suggestion.

Edit: That top branch is all new growth. I’ll prune most of it off in dormancy :smiley:

3 Likes

Kosher Kush watches the sunset…

I love that they follow the path of the sun like this :heart:

14 Likes

What I noticed, and like lol is all the gourd nests for the Martins! They’ll eat their weight in bugs/mosquitoes!

2 Likes

I need to put up more actual bird boxes on our laundry pole because we have sooooooooooooooooo many house finches that the single finch box has had 3 rounds of babies this year alone!

Our natural cedar arbour is being covered in our rambling roses so next year it should have at least 1 Robin’s nest.

4 Likes

It was too hot and too humid to take photos over the last 5 days so here’s another delayed update!

I curbed most of the yellowing with a combo of worm casting top dressing + worm tea root soak + worm tea foliar feed + superthrive foliar feed. On top of this special treatment they’ve all also been getting week 1 flower nutes and so far so good. Otherwise I did spray everything down with Sulfur solution a few weeks back as every August/sept is when the PM starts to show… and considering there is no sign on these 4 I’m very pleased! (I have a mutant in a hanging basket I forgot to spray down that did end up showed signs of PM yesterday so I’m really happy I did the treatment when I did).

Kosher Kush; this thing has bolted to the sky and is at least 5ft tall from the soil level regardless of the LST training. This is my first time with this strain outdoors and it’s kind of freaking me out tbh. It’s all over the place with all branches at different lengths but it’s loved non-the-less.

Gelato (Larry Bird 33); I can see that it’s a little stunted next to the KK and from what I had going last year… but this is the fault of my cranberry bean wall being so freaking dense this year so I don’t feel as bad about it. The density is great for the beans and as a windbreak… but it’s proving to be bad for 2 of my cannabis plants as they are being blocked from morning (or) evening sun. The Gelato gets full morning, but it looses some of the afternoon/evening intensity due to the beans taking it all. No bother, it’s still a happy plant and I know what I need to move for next year!

UK Cheese; the most obviously effected by the bean wall of the 4. It’s hard to fully tell in this image but it’s west facing side (images’ left) is bushy and propper, but the east facing side (images’ right) is not what-so-ever. I blame the beans as this thing doesn’t get full sun until mid day after the beans flushed out the 8x4 screen I built for them. I did try rotating the plant; but the soil mass is too heavy and I don’t want to risk hurting myself so I’ve resolved to let it be as it is. Next S1 seed run will be from my UK Cheese mother so I’m hopeful for next year.

White Widow x Critical Orange (@Foreigner ); this thing is the prize cannabis plant of the yard. Totally even on all sides; I could spin a drone around this thing and you’d be hard pressed to figure out the start and end of the clip with how well it’s grown. This beautiful fucker is also the biggest water sucker of the four, and it gets plenty of it. All of the branches are stacking with pistils so I’m :crossed_fingers: that I’ll have nice fat colas on each. Funny enough, this was the only from seed plant out here, and was popped end of Feb where everything else got root bound as the clones started vegging end of November; and I missed 1x root trim so of course they all got root bound!. Lessons learned, and I’m pumped already for next years outdoor season!

Otherwise the next gems currently in the yard are my Brugmansias. They are also stacked with flowers (each of these flowers is between 10-12" long btw, and can be smelled a house away). Of my 3 varieties; both the Pink and Yellow are blooming; but I’m still waiting to see what my Snowbank variety gives me as it’s not flowered yet. (*Please try to ignore the plywood; it’s gonna become a chicken coop next year and is currently hiding my basements exhaust fan port :laughing: )

Thanks for checking in, all the best to you and yours! :heart:

17 Likes

Beautiful garden Pigeon!

1 Like

Mucho gratitude @TopicalWave !

2 Likes

I hope you don’t mind if I share a few of my flowers from my garden this year.

13 Likes

I imagine that these beautiful flowers make noises like saxophones when no one is around to hear them! The shape of the flower almost reminds me of Moonflowers/Morning Glory.

2 Likes

Please do! These are wonderful! Love the lillies.

Fun thing about Brugs; they are used for Divination by many cultures as they are high in alkaloids. They are also nick-named “Angels Trumpet” so you’re not wrong thinking about Brass instruments :wink: .

The Morning Glories are growing on the far right of the wide photo; up and along a rainbow crocheted trellis my partner made. The Moonflowers WERE in the back, but got overgrown by the Hops who is having a great year this year!

5 Likes

Stunning update @Pigeonman :heart_eyes: as always, and some great details on the grow. Those Brugmansias are magnificent.

3 Likes

Thanks bruv! Let me know if you ever wanted one. You’re actually close enough for me to mail you a stick to plant! :smiley:

4 Likes

The Misses had fun with her camera whilst I poked around…

12 Likes

Always fun to come see your plants cuz! Grow On!

2 Likes

Update!

The weather is much more PigeonMan friendly so I’m out there doing my thing again like the 1/2 Slav that I am toiling and squatting up a Gopnik storm of plant love. (the other 1/2 is South African… which has a Mediterranean climate so i’m great in the dry heat and extreme cold… but you add humidity and i’m a fucking mess.)

Kosher Kush:

Close-up, the lady is STILL stretching. Ugh.

Gelato:

UK Cheese:

White Widow x Critical Orange:

Tomatos! (1/2 of the fruit have already been picked, with 2/3rds of what was picked already in sauce form):

Close up of Tomatos:

Scarlet Runner Beans:

Scarlet Runner Beans Close up:

Kale & Collard Greens:

Madder (Red Dye):

Local wildlife watering hole; the solar fountain helps with keeping the pond scum down:

Cranberry Beans:

Cranberry Beans Close-up:

White Tea Roses:

Rose Arbor (My partner has done a wondrous job with wrangling all of this into a living building!:

My “walking” grove; the citrus got yellowish so I’ve amended them and they’re all starting to green up again:

This is what ended up happening with the first round of Tomatos; SAUCE!

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what y’all think!
Cheers :heart:

16 Likes