Outdoor organic hydro

Oh the winter damage is astronomical in volume. One of the main branches of the huckleberry plant got snapped clean off the base. It was laying there on top of the ground once the snow melted away. It was more of a glacier this winter, than snow. Anyways! The good news is, I took a 5 centimeter cutting of the rhizome attached to the stalk that broke off. So now I’ve washed it clean and planted it in a pot. Then I’ll get it all moist and put it in a plastic bag. Once the rhizome sprouts new growth, I’ll take off the bag and have a huckleberry clone. Or, I’ll fail and it’ll just be a dead stick lol! Except… It was already proto rooted, and with 5 growth nodes on the rhizome. So I put my chances in the “pretty good” zone. Time will tell :smiley:

6 Likes

Here’s what happens when you put a seedling into the ground and it was re-used soil that had excessive EC. Eventually I washed off the roots and re planted it so the plant can recover. This is a genovese basil mother plant, I should be able to clone when it fully recovers.

3 Likes

Going to go all out on the hydroponic forest patch this year. I have some alfalfa decomposing now. I’ll add more organic materials and put on another layer of wood chips. I sadly lost 2 branches on my huckleberry plants, ouch!

The winter was savage this year, creating glacier action under the snow. Looks like the plants are reaching maturity at year 6, they have stopped retaining any leaves over winter.

1 Like

Bugs are living under that layer of crap. I mulched with leaves and bubble waste heh heh! Last years crop waste is decomposing on the rows, as well. The composter is working over time to reduce my entire winters worth of cannabis clippings and household food scraps into something great for the garden! The root balls and stalks are my carbon source.

The greenhouse is definitely coming alive. Anything wintering over in there has recognized spring. This is a bleeding heart! I’m starting to think alfalfa meal is the organic super food for top dressing plants.

4 Likes

Alfalfa is known as the kelp of the land. :+1::seedling:

3 Likes

I’m continuing the project of seeding the woods with the clematis seeds I grew. The mother plant was wiped out by the winter! I have a couple thousand seeds to sprinkle around, I think my seed batch was far more productive than some random woods vine. Hopefully I can get a few to take root.

2 Likes

here are some potatoes I just dug up to make some poutine! I just hope, with all these potatoes and curds, I don’t die of an overdose of goodness! I had to cut off some of the vole chewings. I hate those little fuckers.

4 Likes

Completely ignored vole’s existence icon_e_surprised|nullxnull, OG is the place to learn about almost everything :nerd_face:, good looking potatoes … beer3|nullxnull

1 Like

You double fry them?

Cheers
C

2 Likes

they’re oven baked fries coated in olive oil. I have to say you got to be careful cooking those fresh garden potatoes they’ll get too dark because of all the sugars!
Here is the composter, it’s one of those spinning ones.

mm classic cannabis clippings and root balls mixed with household kitchen scraps. First it smells nasty, but over time it starts to smell good. Writhing with bugs.

4 Likes

The garlic grows even at -18C. These are california whites and russian purples. I’ll harvest a few, and the clumps will be broken up for replanting in the fall. The russian ones were planted from the mini bulbs on top of the plant. The alfalfa meal will mysteriously vanish under ground. Turns into worm turds.

5 Likes

:thinking: the title of this thread has me thinking about trying to grow an auto in a bubble bucket outdoors. I’ve got a solar powered air pump that I could likely use. Obviously over night the pump won’t be running but now the sun here in the uk has showed its face I may give it a try.

3 Likes

I would put the bucket in a hole in the ground to keep it cool. The biggest danger is the water temps climbing up towards 30C definitely lethal.

5 Likes

Yeah good shout. Hmmmm :thinking:
I can run sterile I have Dutch pro “keep it clean” on hand so root rot won’t be much of an issue. One thing. 30c isn’t gonna happen here in the uk unless I release a few million cans of hairspray into the atmosphere :rofl:
I’ve got everything in my hydro stock other than the bucket with lid. Cheers @JoeCrowe for giving me a lightbulb moment. :+1:

3 Likes

And yet somehow your hair doesn’t look quite right :joy:

3 Likes

Touché. Since I hit 40 I’ve stopped shaving it off and trying to grow it but my head ends up looking like a badger and if I start to dye it I’m accepting I’m getting old.
Sorry for the nonsense on your thread @JoeCrowe :v:

4 Likes

heh heh that’s fine, I’m just taking the day off!

So I’m busy doing random farm jobs. I mean, ripping rosin covered hash balls :wink:
No, but really heh heh I have some details about the plant starting chambers.

7 Likes

It’s a couple of black plastic covered wooden chambers with a shop floro. Nothing fancy! They are screwed to the wall at human height for easy tending.

6 Likes

I’ve been repairing the electric fence. It’s a vital tool that teaches wild animals to stay away from the place. I do allow the smaller creatures like a skunk to come through since they are basically harmless… for the most part, unless you lock the chickens outside the coop to fend for themselves the skunk will eat them all one by one. The fence will zap things like coyotes, bears, mountain lions, deer… etc. There are lots of critters out there. Once they touch the fence and get a 12KV zap, they learn this is a hostile place. I have to get it running by June 1, or else I can expect wildlife damage to the farm. One year a bear broke the drip system, and so on. Wild cats ate the chickens. Deer rampaged the crops. If you aren’t prepared, the countryside will claim your stuff. Winter broke off so many of the insulators, the fence can’t be energized… I’ve replaced 25% of them so far. Hopefully it’ll be ready to zap critters by Monday!

7 Likes

I’m sprouting three grapey walters! I’m going to try and not stunt their growth heh heh. The fence is all repaired and I tested it with the multi meter. I also hung one of my LED lights over the seedlings for the greenhouse. Ugh the failure of the retrofit bulbs still burns my ass. Ohhhhhhh well. Suck it. up. hah hah! The cold weather plants are already in the greenhouse.

4 Likes