OVERBUILD the place to show off your over the top builds

lol cheers bro i try my best to do a good job. I’ll post the pics later then but for now lunch is over and i need to drag my arse off and do some work to pay for all these gadgets :grin:

Great idea for a thread @anon58740919. I’m looking to expand soon and I, and others, would benefit from different perspectives and innovative thinking.

3 Likes

Ran out of likes :+1: so there’s one of @99PerCent patented manual like overrides for you both. @Albannach and @Yooper63
Looking forward to some inspiration myself

1 Like

As promised my missis new 200W cob rig built by me with tips and advice from @anon58740919.

7 Likes

Did you strap your sinks to a bit of boat rail? You even made your Mrs light look nautical bro. I’m at it again aren’t I. Stocks landing. Quite exicted to do this 300w 600x400mm light.

Cheeky teasers. Only measuring at the moment cos as nice as it is having a workshop now im not a fan of travelling unnecessarily. don’t really wanna go down till those other parcels land tomorrow

The sinks will actually be mounted on the inside. But much easier measuring outside.
The top is going to have a perforated aluminum panel to house 2 hlg150h 24a drivers and a sonoff 4ch pro r2.
Ammeter going on the side for draw setting etc.

Should be good a tiny little powerhouse to replace a 400w hps and automate the guys room.

5 Likes

Looking good there bro, nice layout. That should be a very happy customer. The round bars on my missis rig are just aluminium door handles off ebay. I’ll have to use stainless steel ones for my build though cos the alloy ones aint long enough, few quid more but totally worth it cos they protect the cobs. I can place it face down on the floor to wire it up etc.

2 Likes

That’s a genius idea. This is why I wanted to start the topic. Not a cat in hells chance I would have thought of a door handle. And the buffer is good too. The last cob I built I bought longer eye hooks so the thread at the bottom acted as feet whilst I did my wiring etc. Then hacksawed them off when complete. Heatsinks rested on top of inch square Ali tubing. (The buffer your handle gives basically) great minds eh bro

2 Likes

This is crowd source design bro :grin: the handles also help when it’s being lugged around. Wires are double insulated with that heat shrink wrap which has glue inside and then protected from heat etc by spiral wire wrap, it jams in tight between the middle fins. If someone else can make use of my ideas it’s a bonus. Hope i dont have to open the loom up any time soon though lol.

3 Likes

Hello boys!

Here is my overbuild :slight_smile:

More info here: Samsung F564B Linear Strip Build

15 Likes

Wicked build dude, respect! Whats the output of that rig?

1 Like

The build that ispired the entire thread right here…

2 Likes

@Albannach There are 3x Mean-Well 320H drivers. Each driver can pull near aprox. 350W at max.
That’s somewhere near 1050W. Which is actually insane as plants get light stress at 900W :smile:

5 Likes

We tech heads need much more of this kind of thing. It’s very addictive though so please keep up the supply :grin:

1 Like

That be truly an overbuild bro i salute you, if i aint already, cant remember cos im stoned again already :thumbsup:

1 Like

@cogitech here you go. Your overbuild oyster :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe if i post some of my own meager efforts someone will join in :laughing: I cant find a lot of pics but here’s what i’ve been using for amplification for some years now.

The pre-amp is a DCB 1 Buffer. I fitted a 20k Tocos Cosmos RV24 pot some time after these pics were taken but other than that…

6 Likes

For power i’m using My-Ref mono blocks which can produce over 60w each but they rarely get pushed these days. I used cheap Chinese alloy enclosures again cos i rate function over form and they are solid. Yeh and before anyone starts i did eventually clean off the excess heatsink paste :laughing:

The first version with fairly standard caps etc

I did some upgrades a few years ago, audiophool parts aint cheap though.

10 Likes

They look like they sound very nice.

2 Likes

Cheers bro, yeh they sound stunning with good recordings but they totally expose bad recordings for what they are so early reggae etc usually sounds dreadful :laughing:

1 Like

No idea about them gizmos inside but damn they look fancy. Very impressive

2 Likes