Overgrowing my tent

I got a little too ambitious with this run and let my 4 plants get a bit too big before flipping them. Now they are at the point that they are really jamming up the available tent space. I have defoliated the bottom 3rd of each for better air circulation and trimmed up the sides to narrow them a bit, but they will likely keep growing for another week or so before stabilizing.

Are there other techniques I can use to manage them without stressing them too much or dramatically reducing yeild? Or am I better to sacrifice one of them now in order to let the other 3 fly?

7 Likes

Honestly, sacrificing one plant to give the others more room is the option I would probably take. LST and super cropping will also work at this stage.

I did the same thing to my Cherry Tart, been pinching and bending daily.

3 Likes

I’d only worry about vertical space. Even if they’re bunched up together you’ll still get a higher yield with 4 plants vs 3 imo. They’ll space themselves out to get the most amount of light they can. Also what if something were to happen to a plant down the road mold etc. If u you pull one now you’re down to 2 plants.

2 Likes

Horizontal space is the bigger problem right now. Vertical space isn’t as much of an issue but will be if there is much more stretch on the more sativa dominant plants. I’ll supercrop if/when vertical space becomes an issue (as per @ReikoX advice). They were already LSTed a few weeks ago which is why they got so wide…

I’ll go take a current photo and maybe you guys can better assess the situation?

5 Likes

Cannabis will stretch when planted closer together. My dad got significantly more yield in his 3x3 with 3 plants than he did with 6.

3 Likes

Makes sense; they compete for light and up is the only option.

Here’s the situation. My trimming efforts this morning really did improve the situation, but I am not sure if it will be enough.

8 Likes

How long ago did you flip them @cogitech?
Mine got big too, and i kept tying them down. In hindsight I should have removed the smallest one. It just stretched and made larf, and I could have spread the nice, productive plants out.

Hard to kill a plant though… get another tent? :wink:

4 Likes

They are in quite large containers so could get really big so the way i see it is you probably only have 2 choices. Remove a few limbs at a time off each of the plants you have till they reach a more manageable size. Or remove a plant or maybe even 2 depending on how much they continue to grow.

Earlier this summer i had 3 Satori females in my tent at start of bloom and because they got so big i ended up with just 1 which filled the whole tent by itself :laughing:

2 Likes

Flipped them on Nov 1st.

I really don’t want to eliminate any of them, as they are all different strains and I have solid reasons for wanting them all.

I have been considering a larger tent. This one is 36" x 20". A 36" x 36" would be all I need I think - and would fit in the space well enough.

3 Likes

They are in 3 gallon containers, so maybe not as big as they appear.

Removing limbs would likely be my choice if it comes to that, but I don’t want to stress them out too much.

3 Likes

A couple at a time every few days should be no prob if they are fairly stable :thumbsup:

1 Like

What about gently tying a loop around each one to contain the sprawl of side limbs? Similar to using a tomato cage?

1 Like

You have a dry climate so you might well get away with it as long as you have plenty of air movement and do a defoliation job on them.

It’s not something i could ever risk doing here, far too damp.

1 Like

I would not be afraid to pinch & break stems, flop tops over. They knuckle up really well and are super resilient.

There is a place in port coquitlam that is a direct importer of tents. Called lumagro I think. I went by their warehouse to take a look at some, and their “hulk” series are pretty good. Cheap enough too

3 Likes

Thanks @Albannach @HappyHemper @Skiball and @ReikoX. I appreciate all the help! For the next few days I am going to just water/feed and apply a good dose of LITFA and see how it goes.

3 Likes

Ya that’s tight, idk I hate killing off a good fem. It def needs more space though. What I’d do is cut off the less dominant nodes. That’s just me, do your thing.

2 Likes

Yes, if my hand is forced it’ll be the less productive nodes that go.

1 Like

:laughing:

You’ve been Sparkled! :bulb: :sparkles: :herb:

We could start an OG TV show, ala pimp-my-grow-room, “Rape My Wallet”

:wink:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

I have the same issue with an lvtk outdoors. I let her veg too long… she has now outstretched her ‘cover’ patch and is sticking out like a sore thumb… only 6 weeks to go buahahahahaaa

1 Like

Supercropped a few limbs on the CBDream this morning. They were just outpacing the others and getting close to the lights, so it had to be done.

1 Like