Parkinson's and Pot

I don’t see a Cannabis as Medicine category, so mods, please feel free to move this where it might get the most exposure.

Another friend of mine was just diagnosed with Parkinson’s. Does anyone know if there are any strains that may reduce Parkinson symptoms?

Thanks for any lead.

HB

8 Likes

Sorry for your friend :disappointed:, just a reg needed :innocent:, check this out … beer3|nullxnull

9 Likes

Thanks @George :slight_smile:

Interesting the medical stuff is buried in the Smoker’s Lounge?

2 Likes

Indica side is where to look for motor diseases like parkinsons’

Give Romulan a try.

1 Like

I will certainly look into that. Do you know anyone with PD that has used Romulan for relief?

Smokers do need medical help!! :see_no_evil:fumaoo|nullxnull

1 Like

No.

I have my own medical history with parkinsonisms, but I beat it naturally, sort of. I still have to maintain my body in such a way that my diet and lifestyle caters to my not so healthy body, my father has CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy) and since “beating” the parkinsonisms, I live with Malignant Refractory Restless Body Syndrome, which is the worst form of restless legs. To explain this to anyone who has ever had an opiate problem: It’s really the physical symptoms of kicking heroin at the height of the agony, including the mental unstoppable train, but not incuding the shits and sweats.

I remember before I ever tried any opiate, I was explaining to an opiate user what kind of “pain” I experienced, that it was a pretty rare condition and I explained to him, that it was not really a pain, but more pure agony and put it on other words again and yet again in another way, and after my whole explanation trying my best to illustrate the agony so someone could really understand without living it, he just goes “oh, that pain is not that rare at all brother, we colloquially call that “dope pain” over here.”

Then I ventured into trying kratom for my issues, which only exacerbated it all in the end, and left me with an addiction to natural herbal opioids, and when I kicked that the withdrawal was 6 weeks of heroin level WDs, simply because of the way my nervous system reacts to it all.

In all that time I treated myself to get better because no doctor could figure out a way to actually help me.

In the end I did help myself, in the process I learned a lot about parkinson(isms) and how the overexcited nervous system defends itself.

One piece of golden advice: try to convince your parkinson friend to check out the natural healing options towards parkinsons, because natural healing IS possible from parkinsons, but the medications the medical industrial complex provides for Parkinsons destroy the body’s ability to recover itself from parkinsonisms.

It’s horrible, and the meds do little to help and even less after the first couple years.

Have him look into Tai Chi and Reiki and have him visit the website rlcure.com , it’s about restless legs but virtually all of it applies to Parkinsons as well as the conditions develop in similar ways.

9 Likes

As for me, I am left with restless body syndrome at a level that makes it necessary to take methadone 3 times a day for my aches, which generally takes away about 70% of symptoms. The other 30% I live with or smoke weed for, depending on the moment and how bad it gets.

I smoke and vape mostly Indica cannabis with kushy, musty, nutty, grapey, piney, honey-like, and creamy flavors, and mango flavor can be good too. Those are also the flavors I would search for. Garlic and Lavender also come to mind.

Pineapple and other exotic Sativa oriented strains can cause an increase in my symptoms but it’s strain and dose dependant. Amajikoym is a great Sativa strain for me, but with flavors of tree fruit rather than exotic fruits. Banana is an exotic fruit that usually IS ok flavorwise.

Flavors and scents, terps, for nervous conditins in general, should all be soothing, warm, balming, instead of energetic and fresh. Citrus can go both ways depending on the other notes present.

Sandalwood (the warm woodsy resin rich balsam kind, not the soapy cheap soapy smelling sandalwood) is another warm note that would do ppl with nervous conditions much good.

But don’t just tell him to look for scents in weed.

Also have him check out essential oils like Sandalwood (SantalumAlbum) and Lavender, oils that relax the mind and the body.

Those can be very helpful at night, when all you want is sleep but your meat puppet decides it’s time to jerk 20 different directions every 2 minutes.

Another very helpful tool in that regard, is Reiki. I had been initiated long before I got health issues, but even more helpful is that my wife had been initiated long before too, her mother being a 3rd degree Reiki master. The only sleep I got for months, was when my wife would hold her hand atop my head sending Reiki through my spine. She’d fall asleep but keep her hand there and those would then be the only hours I got to sleep that night. If she turned and her hand wavered, it would take but a few minutes for my entire body to start flexing entire muscle groups again, causing my body to arc up like a bridge standing over water, and that would happen about 3 to 5 times before it would wake me up, due to the sheer exhaustion my body and mind were subject to.

An interesting bit is how it all started. I had always had benign restless legs syndrome, a very mild variant that never bothered me much, or so I thought. Then I was talking with my buddy about quitting smoking tobacco and I found out that the intense sensations I got inside of me, that told me to smoke a cig, were not normal at all, and not at all a part of normal nicotine addiction; neither was the feeling of being ready to split skulls if anyone were to stand between me and my cigarette.

So I got myself onto vaping nicotine, for a month, all the while tapering the strength down with small steps, and then I quit. Second day of no nicotine I broke and bought nicotine patches, slapped on a whole, got a headache, decided a whole one was too much, and then I cut 1 patch in ever smaller pieces, so I could patch a smaller patch each and every day. 10 days later I was off the patches.

In period before that, I had had a neurological mishap happening that looked like an epileptic attack, so to investigate, I booked an appointment with a neurologist. One EEG later he decided it wasn’t likely to be epilepsy, but nothing seemed wrong so he wanted a “sleep deprived EEG”, where I couldn’t eat or sleep (or smoke, but I had already just quit “luckily”) for 24 hrs before the test. The test was done, the neurologist nowhere to be found, and there, during the test, laying on a cold bed with wires attached to my head, I experienced a tugging and pulling in my legs that was far from pleasant. The neurologists assistant asked me if I was alright as my legs and arms were pulling and twisting and turning, and I replied I thought I was gettting some intense nerve pains. She didn’t respond, nor did anyone check up on me further.

After that the previously benign restless legs syndrome that had never really bothered me, had turned it’s ugly head around, and it would be growling at me from that moment on. The neurologist would wave it away as a small thing that he certainly had nothing to do with, and he went on to offer me a variety of drugs that are given to Parkinson’s patients. I was livid. I already knew these medications, and what they did to the people that got suckered into taking them, leaving them crying in despair only 5 years later, begging to be taken off, but with no way to do just that.

Have your friend look into Iboga ceremonial or therapeutic use.

Really.

That’s the 1 single most restorative thing that your friend can do, but he’ll have to be 2 weeks clean off all meds. But Iboga can fix things medicine does not yet understand, and it would not be the first time it fixes a motor neuron disease.

8 Likes

Very good info here. :pray:t2:

1 Like

My father has been dealing with Parkinson’s for over a decade. He has never been a regular consumer of cannabis, but we got him the doctor’s recommendation and I signed up as his caregiver. I provide edibles that he consumes before bed which allow him to sleep through the night. I’m not using any particular strains - just whatever my most recent batch of infused coconut oil contains.

He gets fantastic care through the VA (it’s possible that Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam caused his disease), and through our local hospitals. He has used a Nintendo Wii for therapy playing games that use the balance board. He is a regular at Rock Steady Boxing - a boxing workout designed for Parkinson’s patients with classes offered all over the world. He also went through the Deep Brain Stimulation process in the past 6 months and has seen good improvement.

Good vibes and healing relief to everyone dealing with this disease!

6 Likes

Thanks for all that Wizzy, lot to chew on … and sorry for your troubles :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply B&B! That’s encouraging. And, I now see we have a Rock Steady gym in town.

Thanks for the info folks, I’ll be passing it along :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a severe essential tremor which my doctor has explained to me can lead to parkinson’s later in life.

I find that typically higher THC cultivars without terpinolene (or I generally stay away from hazes) are most effective for me. I’ve noticed that for some reason caryophylene heavy strains (like cookies varieties) particularly calming and helpful to my tremors.

I find that for me, intake method is very important. I can have an almost near immediate relief from the tremors if I smoke or vaporize the flower; however, if eating or drinking cannabis I do not seem to notice any help what so ever. Perhaps this is due to the onset time of edibles and my desire/expectation for immediate gratification/relief, but wanted to point it out incase it is helpful.

I know this doesn’t point you towards a specific strain; which I’m not sure is an overly realistic ask, but hopefully this info is helpful in some manner for your friend who is suffering.

All the best,
e

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply estab :slight_smile: All these comments are very helpful, especially towards my understanding more about PD.

Your observations are valued.

ATB,

HB

3 Likes

It’s hard to hear these stories and not be a bit affected…

I have read somewhere, but can remember where. But the use of certain psychoactive mushrooms have shown that people suffering from various forms of mental illness and brain damage issues have shown some improvement… or at least it has been shown to remake broken neural paths…

Search for Muscarine and Parkinson or magic mushrooms and Parkinson or
Pleople suffering from deep acute depression have show great improvement… don’t forget that most mental issues are some sort of inflammation of the brain tissue.

Our lifestyle, eating and drinking habits also play a significant role.

To all… I can relate to sleep problems and pain… have suffered for the past 20 years or so with that… hope all the best!

2 Likes

A lot of people are reducing symptom severity and reversal of Parkinson with a low carb diet and intermittent fasting. My stepmother who has it is slowly getting better with less symptoms since starting a low carb diet.

Studies are showing that a lot of auto immune diseases are being caused by bacteria setting up home in the brain feeding on glucose from carbohydrate’s and causing inflammation.

3 Likes

This is actually the same for me, some Hazes have a high likelihood to increase my symptoms and some even do nothing at all, not even make me one bit high, regardless of the high thc content. Cookies and other caryophylene rich strains work very well for me too.

There are some Sativa strains that are great for me like Acapulco Gold (barney’s farm) for instance, or Amajikoym (PowerStrains), but in general it’s best if there is some Indica dominance. The Sativa strains that help me most are generally not the strains that are the well known popular choices of today. Today’s popular choices in the Sativa range are often loud and popping flavors and fragrances, with sharp edges and candy-like sweetness and intensity. This is generally bad for people with neuro issues. Gassy flavors can be a problem too. All hallmarks of popular strains.

That doesn’t mean that there aren’t some absolute beauties to discover for neurological issues.

Strainwise, I think it might be a very realistic task to put together a list pf strains to try for your friend.

I’m up for the task if you’d like me too. I have the experience with both relatable issues and a wealth of strains, so it’d be pretty easy for me TBH.

Your friend would have to grow the strains out and then see what works for him, or see what he can find in the range of what I’m suggesting which might be more difficult.

Going by flavors/scents is a good method to find your way though, so knowing some beneficial strains and their flavors goes a long way.

Someone just mentioned low carb diet and intermittent fasting, I did ketogenic diet for a couple years to help myself get better, along with a variety of other things, but I feel the diet was absolutely one of the big gamechangers in getting to a better place.

4 Likes

OMG!! @Wizzlez !! You have been the only one to describe and seem to know exactly my condition!
Neurologist say a rare form… they want me off weed…blah, blah haha!
I find microdosing with a MCT helps tremendously! No caffeine, low carb… yes!
I will definitely look into your other suggestions.
Mine has seemed to turn its ugly head lately. Tears muscle and ligaments in my legs. I come real close to sometimes just slapping people next to me from the jerking and spasming. Can get comical or get you in trouble… lol

8 Likes

I’m in tears reading this.
For all that suffer and for someone to actually seeming to understand!! :sob:

6 Likes

I’ve given my wife countless bruises and hit her in the face with my elbows and whatnot, all in my sleep.

She’s an angel, I’ll tell you that.

It’s for sure a rare form. Get yourself to read through rlcure.com. It’s all about the histamine and microinflammation.

I was so bad off that I couldn’t properly walk anymore. They were still figuring out what to call it but I wasn’t gonna wait for that.

I ended up with “just” the worst case of restless legs you can possibly get, which is horrifyingly agonizing without meds but absolutely manageable with the right medication. The problem is that in my case I basically had what is called augmentation, but only augmentation should only happen after years of using the meds they use for the condition, only I never used those meds. So I got augmentation where no augmentation could happen. It’s because of quitting nicotine and putting a giant load of stress on my system, sanctioned by my neurologist, what a fucktard that was!

But back to medication. Because the meds they normally use screw up your body’s own way of fixing things, it’s not good to go on them anyway, and my doctor (an absolute gift from heaven in human form, and an alternative healer with a PHD as an actual medical general practitioner who also treats heaps of cancer patients) luckily agreed with me when I told him about finding out all those things. He’s the one reason I’m still happy to be alive today. He was angry with me when he first found out I smoked weed but only because he didn’t understand the situation nor weed back then, and now, years later, he has me on 15 mg of methadone a day which is really the best medication anyone in my place could ever ask for. And like I said, I smoke tons of weed on top of that.

4 Likes