Ph imbalance, nute toxicity or overwatering, which is it?

Well I guess thinking I can grow again after 20 years and avoid the dreaded 3 blunders was foolhardy.

The increasing water uptake to let the media dry out cycle has been getting shorter, so I’m being thrown off w managing intervals of feed/water

I want to lean towards overwatering (clawing) some, but not ruling out nute toxicity or Ph imbalance w dead brown tips either, so which ?

Slurry test checks out : 6.61

2 gall bags
FF Happy Frog
PPM 800

Thanks for the help w diagnosis

5 Likes

It sort of looks like a calcium thing to me with those brown patches on the leaf.

That can’t possibly be, as I’ve been foliar feeding 2-3x a day to compensate cal-mag uptake, and it is heavy for sure.

From what I can see the plant looks like it’s losing nitrogen from the bottom leaves and putting it in the top leaves.I’ve had this happen to me this year and I started ph ing my RO water again at 6 and it fixed the issue somewhat over time.I was just giving them plain Bottled water with a nutrient rich soil and it was bound to happen.I had all that good food in my soil no vehicle to put it where it was supposed to go.You’ll get new growth but the affected leaves are going to fall off can’t save them.

All three, overwatering led to a pH problem that caused a nutrient uptake problem.

1 Like

So it is overwatering, but how do you prevent wilting from being too dry when the uptake keeps increasing ? That’s what I’ve been noticing, and trying to give enough without too much. This balance seems to get harder as the plant becomes bound in the container.

I don’t have specific answer to your question but some plant do not like being rootbound.

Others don’t care.

Best of luck.

6.6 is a bit high for a medium like happy frog.

Get it closer to 6.2 and see if that doesn’t help.

You’re doing 2-3 foliars of calmag a day? Cease that immediately lol that’s probably your issue right there.

5 Likes

Alright, I’ll start going lower Ph on the water. You could be right, as the hydro Ph is 6.3

The foliar has been a light cal mag w a bit of liquid seaweed 500 ppm. I was doing it for compensation for what’s not enough in the water and heavy uptake. Perhaps time to back off… Thanks. Had a feeling I was getting a bit overzealous there…

What are your slurry ppm’s? hum|nullxnull FF Happy frog has already bat guano and earthworm castings, adding 800 ppm and foliar sprays makes me wonder if you have a nutrient burn icon_e_confused|nullxnull , those dark green leaves with burnt tips could be a signal of having it … beer3|nullxnull

1 Like

It’s 300-400

I believe if I’m not mistaken the HF has enough for 2 weeks after first planting or is it longer term ?

I think I’m ruing the day I used mostly HF, not enough added perlite and not cutting it w regular soil when I planted back at the end of Sept. Live, learn and re-plant a spare rooted clone if necessary

1 Like

What strain? Tops look very green, is that a fabric bags?
I thought the tips look like nute burn.
Increased water uptake is a healthy plant.
Are the bottoms getting light?

If i may be honest i want to put my hand in there and strip away and lollipop the bottom pale branches and leaves.
IME it invites bugs.

2 Likes

Are you using synthetic? (I’m assuming you are)

Adjusting to 6.3 is a good plan, that’s where I would start.

I see a N deficiency and the brown spots & leaf edges make me think you have a potassium deficiency. If you’re foliar feeding I guess that rules out calcium & magnesium (I’ve never foliar fed so I’m oblivious to that stuff)

Hope that helps in some way… Plant problems make my brain hurt lol

HF last more than 2 weeks. I have plants flowering now on day 41 and the only thing I have been giving them is silica and bud candy. I tried to feed them a medium feed and they did not like it. Started burning them up. I backed off and they are looking good.

3 Likes

You have to be careful with seaweed kelp I gave a plant to much one time it went crispy and died

@GYOweed

Plastic bags

Yes, those bottoms can’t get light anymore. Plant is too tall for light penetration. I’m thinking that’s part of the problem too. I’ve removed them further up. You can clean it up, but in no time it’s all re-generated again

It’s Chocolate Haze

@anon84307778 nutes are Nectar From The Gods - late veg. It’s 100% organic

Yes heavy cal-mag uptake from what I’ve seen, but perhaps dealing w a little deficiency is better than an entire Ph imbalance to throw off everything

And yes everything goes well, until it bites ya in the ass at some point…

@ItsintheGenetics I wasn’t aware it’s that long, but I think I’m back to ‘I used too much HF’ when making the mix up. First planting has definitely been a learning lesson using it.

@anon98660487 Ahhh, I’ve tried to go light, like 0.5 ml. Good to know to be sparingly on its use.

For now I’ll go to the lower Ph and quit being a happy sprayer. I was thinking I was staving off cal-mag deficiency by being frequent, but now I see it’s compounded issues instead

At least I have great folks at OG to put me back on track :grin::+1:

5 Likes

Like mentioned above…I’d remove all the light starved lowers so the plant can redirect that energy up top(removing the fluff will produce bigger better top buds) and maybe go to once a week foliar spraying.

Overall plant health looks good but hard to tell without a full plant picture. Looks to be close to the limit of N with the ultra dark green leaves…keep in mind most Cal-Mag has about 30% N in it!

Be well

Brian(Alaskagrown)

2 Likes

Actually the plant is in grow stasis until I figure out which phenotype’s I should self and shelve to grow later, rather than keep too many mom plants. So that particular plant isn’t being flowered. Even though the lowers won’t get light I’ve stripped them off so new growth is further up. The plant is too tall for 100w LED so regrowing a shorter clone In half the size of a grow bag may be what has to be done and using the bigger plant for seed selfing

You’re right, I’ve seen worse before. I just like to catch the overuse quickly. It’s so easy to get in routine and then as you look closer to see the edges getting funky and the nutrients imbalances showing in the leaves only then do you realize something is off. It’s easy to get complacent trying to “boost” growth too, so when in doubt it’s best to just K.I.S.S.

2 Likes

@OriginalDankmaster96

I’ve found over the course of almost 30 years cultivating…in almost all situations less is more!

:sunglasses: :fist_right:

Keep on keeping on you’re doing a great job!!

Brian(Alaskagrown)