pH pen, strips, or drops?

Hi @Who,
I never mix up a whole bale of ProMix at once.
I only prepare about 4 or 5 gallons at a time.
I don’t measure anything, I simply eyeball it.
I use large heavy duty, thick contractor plastic trash bags which helps keep the dust down.
I just put the ProMix, perlite, vermiculite and dolomite into the bag and shake it up well.
I use approximately 1 generous handful of powdered dolomite for this amount of mix.

4 Likes

It’s funny. I set up an outdoor grow for my parents at their place this year. White widow and northern lights clones.

I told them I would set it up, but the rest was up to them. I also gave them a ziploc bag filled with miracle grow.

I didn’t bother to explain pH because they were unlikely to get that in depth.

So their grow was just promix, Toronto tapwater, and miracle grow. That’s it.

Just sort of puts it into perspective. No pH, no fancy nutes. They were even more heavily shaded than I’d like. I guess a 1/4# per plant.

No pictures yet but they just got chopped and look really good.

They don’t smoke so it’ll all go into edibles which is good for me because I don’t have to teach them about curing and all that fancy stuff.

Maybe the 7.6? pH tapwater mixed with the 6.0? promix and just stayed perfect in the middle all on its own?

All the best

3 Likes

I also do 5-10 gallon HP batches and just add a small percentage of perlite. You’ve intrigued me with this extra lime.

1 Like

The only ProMix I’ve seen in stores in my area is “All Purpose with Mycoactive” but I never see others talk about “AP” ProMix. I’ve found references on other sites that the US version contains no added nutrients but the Canadian version does…

My last round of mixing soil I used 2 parts ProMix AP to one part Perlite (from the bag on the left - big chunks!) with a little EWC and a handful of dolomite lime.

I grow in Octopots, and use pH drops to measure whenever I mix a batch of nutrients that will go into the reservoir.

2 Likes

From what I can see this all purpose mix has time released fertilizers in it.

The same, just different. I prefer to control nutes used but it’s all good. I couldn’t say about Canada vs US formulations.

I had to go to a hydro shop to get the HP or the BX. They are in short supply because of covid.

I also bought nutes in bulk at the beginning of this nonsense and I’m glad I did.

All the best

1 Like

The ingredients are Peat, perlite, lime, and myco. No added nutes. I live in the middle of the US and figured there’s nothing here you couldn’t find everywhere else so I’ve been surprised to not see more mention of it

1 Like

I think on the bottom left it says plant food ingredients.

Last time i bought HP at Canadian Tire the guy said “I heard people use this to grow cannabis.” To which i said ”is that so…”

Also, they used to store the promix outside until a pickup truck showed up after hours and stole every single bale.

3 Likes

I had to blow that up to read it :slight_smile:

The “Also contains non-plant food ingredients” section is where it lists Glomus Intraradices which is the mycorrhizae (1 viable propagule per gram of mix).

I always enjoyed Canadian Tire when I was young but haven’t set foot in one since I lived in Quebec 30+ years ago. I was up in Ontario the first week of March to visit my gf’s family - barely made it back into the US before the border closed - but didn’t have a need to shop while we were there.

1 Like

I live right beside a canadian tire. I rarely step in either.

I find it claustrophobic

1 Like

Thanks I have been top dressing about a week into flower with dolo in the hp, thought maybe you were doing a bale at a time. Thought i wouldnt be adding to the hp,but was wrong