pH pen, strips, or drops?

Good day all.

My pH meter died today. It was a $20 Amazon piece of crap. It lasted about a year.

Baseline tests of water, milk, and vinegar all way off.

So I’m in the market for a new pH reading method.

I’m not going to buy another cheap one and I’d prefer not to buy an expensive one.

I’m thinking strips or drops. I’m not worried about reading down to the nearest decimal point. A range will do just fine.

Which is easier to use? Just dip in the strips? Just fill the vial and add drops? Are they instant reads? I used to use them for a pool but that was a lifetime ago and damn if I remember.

I’m thinking strips as they seem easier.

Anyone with experience care to share their thoughts?

All the best

2 Likes

experience yes, maybe do not know the truth but here goes, a year is about all a probe is suppose to last, i have bad water mine last for less time, I got a more expensive ph meter, that allows for probe replacement. Also because i had 2 amazon ones of different brands and they drove me nuts, even brand new they both read totally different, it was which to believe or maybe neither, anyways strips are pretty consistent. The problem was most likely the probe.

if my choice were between a inexpensive amazon meter or strips i would take strips.just my thoughts

1 Like

GH ph drops work great, you can see 0.5 difference reasonably easy.
Yellow is ph6, dark yellow 5.5, orange/red 5, red is all under 5.
You can use a syringe pump, save on drops. Draw in 1ml nute and put against bottle, suck out 1 drop and you can easily see color.
If you ever buy a new meter, keep drops for sanity check.

5 Likes

Get these and you’ll never look back

I have mine for 2 years now and still have enough for another refill. Best investment I’ve made when it comes to PH testing.

5 Likes

For what I understand in regards to the cheaper pens is the numbers do not generally agree (pen to pen) and last about a year.
I think you have to go to Bluelab or Hanna to get something reliable but expect to have to change out the sensors occasionally.

I like the drops. The color match-up to the chart is OK. Tip, use a white background for the comparison and if you think the color is a bit weak - add another drop or two.

With the strips I have issues matching the colors of the strips to the chart. Now, there are a couple ranges, the wide range strips are the most common ( I do not like them) and the narrow range (meaning to try these).

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Exactly that, 10-20$ for a years supply and never wrong. Belongs in any farmers cabinet, even if just in case.

5 Likes

No need to worry about calibrating & storage solution.

5 Likes

I started with ph pens but after being too dependent on them and creating issues I’ve switched to the drops. I basically ran a test to find out how much PH down to add to my res to get it into the range I need to just add my nutes and feed right away without having to keep adjusting.

3 Likes

I’ve used Hanna pens for years and I really cannot recommend them. From $10 to $200 all the hanna pens had issues. They’re technically better than the cheap chinese one’s but not by much imo.

I ended up grabbing an Apera AI311 PH60 - PH Pen this last time that was around $50 but came with calibrating solution, storage solution, and a fancy little case. And this thing has been absolutely solid. I calibrate every couple weeks but I’ve only ever seen it off by a few 0.0# points. The probe itself is replaceable for ~$30. Takes premade calibrating solution, no packet+distilled water bs, and it just works.

For ppm I am still using a fancy HM Digital COM100 TDS/EC meter that’s been pretty solid for the last year or so.

Big thing with these meters is having good batteries on-hand. If the batteries get low the meter may still say its good but the readings are off or you have weird issues with it, fresh batteries may take care of it completely.

8 Likes

i use apera as well have two sx 620 they read the same have replaceable probes have had them for 3 yrs now,other then replacing probes have been great.

3 Likes

I like my Apera PH60 with a replaceable probe, but if you dont want to spend that much ($80), go with drops.

Use a white background and try to have the lighting the same every time.

I hate strips. They never seem to match the colors correctly and that makes interpreting the result difficult.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the input you guys!

Off to the shop in a bit (I need a bale of promix anyway)

All the best

2 Likes

wish i could get promix lol(covid)

4 Likes

So I went with the drops. I need my bucket of water to offgas for a day and then I’ll do some baseline testing.

Finding promix has been a real challenge. Canadian Tire usually has it but they haven’t had stock for 2 months (I’ve been checking).

Ended up paying a premium at a hydro shop but it’s all good. Worth the trip to get two birds stoned at once.

4 Likes

My preference is the drops. Simple and effective.
I use either ProMix BX or HP. I add some dolomite lime, and I very seldom have any need to check the PH. Usually only when I start a new grow, just to make certain of my tap water.

4 Likes

I really struggle with this. I’m a bit obsessive compulsive and pH is one of those things that really bothers me. I was using a cheap Amazon probe for a while, but didn’t trust it at all. So, I bought another one and strips. Now, I use both probes and then the strips to do a final spot check. Believe it or not, using all three together has given me a lot more confidence. Before, I never really knew if what I was doing was right because I just didn’t trust my devices. Now that I am firmly convinced I have an accurate idea of what the pH is, I don’t care as much about getting the pH perfect because I can exist in the nominal pH range without worry if device accuracy actually has me outside of range despite saying I’m in range. If that makes sense.

I also try and get a general idea of how much pH down to add to a set amount, so I can get it in range after the first addition, but I’m still dialing that in.

5 Likes

I also use the HP. I thought it already was limed. Do you add more lime?

I plan to develop a pH baseline. Like x amount of fert and x amount of pH down gets me where I want to be. Then just spot test from time to time.

I thought I had everything dialed in with my meter but I’m not so sure anymore. I think it might be even further off than I imagined.

I’m actually looking forward to using the drops.

2 Likes

A word of caution, I got burned only doing spot checks.
The pH on my municipal water never varied more than .1 or .2 for years - until it did.

Right about 3 weeks from harvest the pH tanked for 24 ~ 48 Hrs. never found out why. Maybe some repairs and they flushed the pipes?
You only have to smack me once over the ear hole to get my complete attention :crazy_face:
I. Check. Every. Time. {'cause I got the memo} :+1:

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Yes, I always add more lime to both the BX and the HP.

I also add some vermiculite and perlite to the BX.
The HP I only add a little bit of perlite and vermiculite to

3 Likes

how much you adding to a 3.8 bale of hp(dolo)? @Calyxander

2 Likes