Picture ID this bug anyone?

I posted this on a different thread and got conflicting answers. I believe these to be root aphids, but really don’t have any experience with them. Sorry about the crappy picture.

4 Likes

Looks like a tick to me.
Maybe freshly molted? (usually brown)

Cheers
G

no, not a tick for sure. There are literally thousands of them . Super microscopic, crawling all around the base of the stem.

1 Like

Stratiolaelaps scimitus (formerly called Hypoaspis miles )

6 Likes

These guys are white, white, white. Looks like Stratiolaelaps scimitus is not a bad thing to have, but they are brown.

1 Like

4 Likes

@George Thank you. This is what they look like. Eastern Mediterranean region?? I’m in Oregon USA.

1 Like

I know, checked your profile :grin:, my second guess was white soil mites … :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m gonna go with the first choice. The white soil mites seem to have too many little hairs coming off them. I’ll see if I can snap another picture in a bit. Thank you @George

3 Likes

Agree with that … ejem|nullxnull

5 Likes

the pic @MyrtleGrounds you posted shows long antennae or feelers, @George do not maybe it is that species but a different family or something but those long feelers…

2 Likes

I was confused about that icon_e_confused|nullxnull , there are not antennas but the front legs … :sunglasses:

Neoseiulus_californicus_800x

4 Likes

With the nasty little bitey parts in the middle.

Die mofo die!

:peace:

2 Likes

It was one week ago that I found those creepy crawly guys in my soil. All plants were evicted from the tent and banished to the greenhouse. I didn’t expect them to survive, and I was frustrated (and stoned), so I opened a new bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide and split the 32 oz bottle between two plants. I directly poured it all over the exposed soil. It bubbled and gurgled and foamed up a bit, but I kept pouring and cussing them damn bugs. I pulled my big girl panties up and decided to move on and start fresh. New soil, new seeds, new solo cup…etc. Everything went well until I added a few sprinkles of worm castings on top of the soil. Once I watered the WC down, I could see them tiny little bitches crawling all over my soil again. WTF???
Anyway, back to my H2o2 story…
The 2 plants I doused with 16 oz of peroxide are looking great! I thought for sure I would kill them, but they really liked it. Anybody go crazy with peroxide before? What happened to your plants? BTW- the soil still has the bugs. :thinking:

2 Likes

Drenching the soil with peroxide will kill all the bacteria, beneficial or not, so you have to repopulate them later on as they help feeding the plant by making available the nutrients. If you want to get rid of those bugs, you can better use products as Mosquito Bits … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

Thank you @George Mosquito bits for mites? (or whatever they are).I thought it was for fungus gnats and mosquitos. Hmmm

if they were spider mites they would be in your leaves and you would see the damage:

spider mites

they don’t live in the soil, so the ones you have might be soil mites or other beneficial ones. If you still want to kill them, Mosquito Bits has BACILLUS THURINGIENSIS as Gnatrol, I had a springtail infestation and get rid of them using it … :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s just it, I discovered that I don’t want to kill them. When I first saw that my plants had hundreds of bugs, I panicked and tried to kill them with H2O2. (lots of it). Now, I realize I don’t want to kill them. I learned that not all mites are bad. Thank you @George for the education. Of course I learned this AFTER the douse. :roll_eyes:
Just wondering why my plants responded so well to such a strong H2O2 solution. :thinking:

1 Like