Please help me succeed at making clones

Clones hardly need any light at all, and keep them cool 65-68. If you see any browning of the tip take a razor blade and scrape off the color on the end if there are no roots sprouting.
I just use a solo cup and water. It may take a little longer than spending money on equipment, gels, and other stuff, same result though.

14 Likes

I use Rockwool cubes again after having mixed success with aero cloning. I of course ensure everything is meticulously clean, use a heat mat, with temp regulation at 75 and try to keep bottom of cubes wet and tops of cubes dry.

1 Like

I got a cutting from a flowering OG Kush. I put it in my Homemade aero cloner. Number of weeks …nothing. leaves green for the most part. I took it out and soaked root area in 1% hydrogen peroxide solution. Repowdered it with root powder, shook some mychrorhizae on it., too for the tech of it. Changed water. pHed it to 6.0. Added couple drops super thrive, fox farm bloom, and powdered bud fert with high phosphorus. TOOK OFF HEATING PAD. temp was around 72 F. I think the peroxide and turning off heat helped it to root. This is only if you are using a recliner however you might want to add 1% hydrogen peroxide to your system and turn down heat

I’m going to agree with too wet. If too wet they will just dampen off when trying to root. Plugs should just be moist. Not dripping wet and not sitting in water. Peat plugs that is, I have no real experience with rockwool

2 Likes

From more than one place I’ve read not to squeeze but give them a gentle shake when removing them from the nutrient soak.

4 Likes

You know what? Someone recommended this video for teaching me how to clone. The guy said you could put them in water and set them on the counter in your house and they will root. Just need to change the water every day.

I tried that with the last bunch of clones I did. I just noticed that one of them is showing roots, another one looks like it’s rooting, and the remaining two are still green and healthy. Thet may show roots in a couple days.

Looks like your in a crawl space type area behind a wall.
Do you change the water? If so how often?
Do you put them in light or do you keep thin in the dark? Or is it like sometimers light sometimes dark?

Thanks for commenting!

2 Likes

How do you regulate the heat through the heat mat?

I have a heat mat that came with the propagation dome/tay, but I have no way of controlling the temperature. I have a heater in there that I adjust until it’s around 75.

keep bottom of cubes wet and tops of cubes dry.

I get paranoid and add water when I see the top of the cube getting dry, so that’s good to know.

1 Like

you might want to add 1% hydrogen peroxide to your system and turn down heat

Funny you said that becaiuse I was mixing water &* 3% peroxide last night. I’ve heard it’s good for plant roots and also stop fungus and mold.

2 Likes

I took my first cuttings ever March 4, they are the plants I am flowering inside my 4x4 tent and just outside the front. If you have the time you can read through my Journal. Post 33 is when I took the cuttings. I changed water every 6 days or if they had fungus gnats or dirt/lent floating in the water.

I am growing in the unfinished portion of my basement. You are seeing hte back side of the finished wall.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Thanks!

1 Like

I squeeze them out always have and if they absorb too much moisture from me misting them, then I gently squeeze access into a cup do discard. A clone will root in a cup of water, but it will never properly callus over in sitting water.

2 Likes

I bought a temp regulator separate from the heat mat.

1 Like

Soak them good then give a light squeeze to get excess out.
Clonex is great! I add some to the water in base, and spray leaves with a diluted mixture for the first couple days just after lights on .
Hormex is amazing stuff, but I get great results with Wilson roots as well (2 days difference) personally I dip in Wilson roots gel, then into powder (makes everything adhere better) then into my rockwool or rapid rooters etc.
I have been using the EXACT method you described for 10+ years only thing I’ve changed is I add a drop of bleach to my base water etc. now to keep things clean

Hmu if you have any questions @Pigeonman

3 Likes

Do you cover the clone cup with anything so the light doiesn’t get to the region your trying to grow roots?

Thanks!

1 Like

I wonder if you have a rproduct commendation?

Thanks!

I do not use anything other than a red solo cup with water. I keep the plant far enough away from the light that the roots are safe.

1 Like

This is one I just put in soil today. I used a clear Solo cup inside of the red one so I can look for roots without disturbing the plug.

9 Likes

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned fresh Aloe Vera gel. Anyways, that’s what I use along with rapid rooters. Roots in 6-7 days poking out the cube. I like to use a heat mat and hydrofarm controller. I aim for 75-77f but I’ve had success at lower temps, both cube and ambient. Mist with tap water 2x daily.
I seldom keep a mother and don’t much care about higher N values when I do take some cuts. They all still root in 1 weeks time, no matter what.

2 Likes

Yea, I’m still failing. I checked the cloes I set on 6/16. Same thing, mold. Temperature was a steady 75. I think the cloning gel I’m using is causing it. Some opf the stems were dry and snapped. I put them ikn water immediately after they’re cut, so it’s happening in the wet incubator plugs. You can see the tray.

I also have some I placed on 6/18 in hormex powder. They’re n

Thanks for your thoughts!

5 Likes

Next time try and scrape away the epidermis and expose the cambium, coat that with a hormone and you’ll have much greater success.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Pyp56scGRyh7ESA6A

Also it really seems like your cross contaminating your cloning gel. To avoid introducing them to should take some gel out and put it in a separate container, use and then discard it. Don’t put it back into the gel container. Cloning gels are very notorious for breeding contamination. That one reason I use Aloe gel freshly harvested. Possibly try a dry power hormone, fertilome brand is what I have and it works very well, plus you can dip right into the jar and no need to take some out for use like the gels.

4 Likes