PO Box troubles

So I recently found out, after the second priority mail got returned to sender, that the USPS PO Boxes are only supposed to accept mail for any name that you can also provide an ID for. So they have been “sending back” things I have had sent, some of which does not have a return address.

I told them I use a fake last name online, and that was due to having my identity stolen in the past (true, btw). I asked if I could use my initials, or first name last initial. They told me this policy was sent by congress, due to scammers using PO boxes in the past. I think it’s outdated BS, but I am trying to cut them some slack, because I know they are in a tough spot atm.

Debating switching to a mail store, which costs 2x as much, but I do not believe have the same policy. Has anyone else run into / found a way to deal with this?

4 Likes

I had an issue once, they said, “wow they really butchered your last name.” Another time I just told them it was the business name, and it wasn’t an issue.

4 Likes

My local PO doesn’t give 2 shits what names on it as long as it’s the right box number. I usually have any seeds and such sent there and just have my first initial and last name. On a side note I’ve received alot of other people’s mail in the box over the last 8 or 9 years that I’ve had to push back through with a note written on it. Unfortunately our PO also has alot of people who are either extremely lazy, stupid or a combination of the 2. And can’t seem to keep a postmaster for more than a few years at most.

10 Likes

we must have the same PO…:wink:

3 Likes

Ask them if you can use “your wife’s name”. Worked for me using a USPS box. But I found it was MUCH safer to just have it delivered directly to home.

4 Likes

@willie haha possibly.

@OldSSSCGuy that’s alot of why I get most of of either our important mail and small packages delivered to the box, anything else goes to the house.

1 Like

Based on the conversations I had with them, they would tell me my wife needs to go there and present a photo ID, or her mail would get rejected too.

1 Like

its insane…you have to have ID to get a f*ckin package, but lets just let thousands of undocumented folks over the boarder!!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

And yet, the Post office is pulling this stuff with me as well :frowning: which is why i just now give my house address to avoid that BS.

7 Likes

I wasn’t sure how I wanted to handle this, but if I use my name, I assume my home can be located, so really no point in this PO Box.

2 Likes

That’s what im coming to the conclusion of. I have all my “official” stuff like irs, dmv stuff sent there, that’s about it. the rest comes straight to the house.

Bottom line 2021 - only the honest people will remain honest - the thieves, well, lets just say its Mardi Gras here in the USA.

6 Likes

Truthfully I’m surprised I never got in trouble as I have called on multiple occasions and flipped my shit on our workers…but their somewhat inept though. But that was when I was getting rc parts, electronics, vape shit, etc in mail. I haven’t when it comes to seeds for obvious reasons

4 Likes

My biggest bitch is the seed companies who send with signature required to my home address, I’m never home, then they hold the seeds at the post office until I call and say hey just out it in my po box. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of having rural delivery.

4 Likes

That would be annoying. Thankfully I haven’t ordered from anyone that does that.

1 Like

I never bought seeds before in the mail. I had no problem with the ones I did get. I was stressed at first. But they came in a few days and the package was discrete. I hate problems. Man it gets harder all the the time. Junk mail never stops.

1 Like

Stuff like that I get upset about. Especially if they said they delivered it to your house and they didn’t. Then the next day you get a package that’s not even yours. They try to make out like they make no mistakes. We all do them. No one is perfect. Some just don’t care.

1 Like

sounds like you have a weird post office i regularly send stuff to po boxes with intials or very obvious fake names they should deliver any mail with that address to the address short of there being a change of address card in and those are for specific names not whole addresses

4 Likes

my wife works for the post office as do a couple members on here i will ask what the official stance is maybe we just have a lazy PO

5 Likes

Apparently this was a bill from congress to stop scammers hiding behind PO Box addresses. I think it’s one of those things most people don’t worry about (Why make an issue, if it’s not an issue), but my PO has someone with a stick in an unpleasant spot. That’s how my brain decided to accept it lol.

3 Likes

@Gonepostal you ever hear of this?

I received something in my box addressed to John dough. This was a mistake on the senders part lol. As well as several other people’s mail at this point. Mine doesn’t care.

2 Likes