Pollenating autos

I was thinking of getting a few regular seeds from a breeders to pollenate some freebie autos, but if anyone has any words of precaution, or just wants to let me know that plan is garbage for some reason, please lmk

Don’t mind me, if I sound unsure at the moment, learning about cuttings vs seeds, strains vs crosses, it has me kind of unsure of everything at the moment. (Not de-motivated, I just need to rethink EVERYTHING) I might not even like the “strains” i think I like. I bought all these seeds thinking they were “strains” that I liked, now I find out people aren’t really that great about renaming crosses.

1 Like

If youre crossing autos, just make sure you
auto X auto or you’ll end up without autos lol

3 Likes

It’s not my intent to keep them as autos, more to keep the line going so I can continue with it later. I dont think I really care for auto’s/reuderalis(sp?) I just have 5-6 as freebies from orders

2 Likes

So don’t mind me, if I sound unsure at the moment, learning about cuttings vs seeds, strains vs crosses, it has me kind of unsure of everything at the moment. I might not even like the “strains” i think I like. I bought all these seeds thinking they were “strains” that I liked, now I find out people aren’t really that great about renaming crosses. Not demotivated at all, just frustrated with myself for making decisions that were wrong from misunderstanding, and trying to think up how I want to move forward

2 Likes

I did a hack this summer with a auto fem purple lemonade to a photo male orange goji .
There’s a mix of photo and autos from test growing about 15 seeds so far right out of the gate 5 auto males showed very early they were executed of the 10 females 3 were turfed for one reason or the other .

Of the 7 left 3 show signs of autos and are a few weeks into flower all leaning to the purple lemonade structure , of the remainder a mix of photo phenos 2 on the PL side and 3 of the orange goji side.

No clue to what will come from this cross called PLOG if there’s decent smoke with no weird growth issues it make another auto male to a auto female increasing the odds of full auto trait.

Both strains on there own are fire with the auto supposed to test at 28% and orange goji up there as well, both were frost monsters hoping to see this passed along to plog .

6 Likes

You definitely want to checkout Mr. Sparkle’s threads. He works with autos. I think Smokncanuck has planned some auto breeding shortly as well.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

After you cross an auto with a photo and back cross that with the original auto wouldn’t that make it more of an auto?
But if it doesn’t matter to @other_barry if its an photo or auto then it don’t matter. @other_barry I think you would be better off inbreeding the the photos. If what your looking for is more seeds for later. You won’t end up with crazy genetics. Later once you figure out what exactly you like you can be confident in finding those traits in some plants and cross them if you want. But you might not have to. You might find a strain that’s just for you.
Inbreeding is more straightforward. Crossing takes more time.

1 Like

Just to make sure I fully understand, inbreeding would be taking pollen from the plant, and using it to pollenate a clone from the same plant? (or both f1 ?)

1 Like

Use the same exact strain seeds and grow a male and a female. That male will pollinat the female. Those seeds are inbreed.
There are others way more qualified to speak on this then me on OG. The f1s and so on are from crossing two different strains. Then from there the goal is to inbreed that cross or back breed it with one of the original parents selecting the best phenos (traits or characteristics). After that people aim to stabilize it to were every time you plant a seed every one of those plants look the same and has all the characteristics you were looking for. It makes life alot easier knowing that your not going to have any surprises.
Thats all I know so far. It gose farther then that. People if I got anything wrong I’m sorry I’m still learning as well its not the easiest subject.

1 Like

Shameless plug. These are my auto breeding projects.

2 Likes

So before I started to learn, I thought ‘Oh, with CS I can make more seeds, so I can afford to try more types of strains’

So I bought a bunch of (mostly) pick’n’mix singles of things to try.

Now I am realizing that isnt really how it works, those seeds are going to be similar, but not necessarily the same. I dont have ANY reg seeds afaik. I have a few bag seeds and then fems that I ordered. It could take me a really long time to go through these all, but I dont want to abandon the idea of making seeds to get more from these singles. Maybe the best thing for now, is to just accept the variance in the seeds, and start getting some reg seeds with males to use.

That moment when you realize YOU ARE THE DUMMY, after wondering why people would buy regular seeds for so long, when you could always have females :skull: :skull_and_crossbones:

Do check out @ReikoX link up there. He walks you through the whole process of what he’s doing step by step. If its something you really want to do you have to be patient. Learn the lingo. Do some reading, watch some YouTube.

Hey @ReikoX I got some Gelato autos from Coastal Mary Seeds. Could I get away with putting 4 in a 3x2 tent?

1 Like

Look up Colloidal silver. You can turn your female into hermies and have it self pollinat and get fem. Seeds.

I’ve used CS. That is part of what I was planning. I guess I am finding out that what I thought was a way to duplicate seeds, is not actually that, and those seeds will not match what I started with. I am probably overly concerned, because its new info, but I don’t think that it’s going to be that big of an issue

I apologize. Yeah there all going to be the same. I was lost for a second. Your definitely going to be good in the seed department tho.

1 Like

I am reading through @ReikoX post right now, and I assume nothing they are working with is fem, so that makes my situation a little different (but I am still learning a bunch, which is great) CORRECTION it starts with ‘reversed’ sooo, I was wrong, I guess.

I need to find a place to learn the terms like you mentioned, and the implications of different options. I am just reading here at the moment, so I apologize if I get excited and try to jump ahead. Just spray me with a cold hose, next time :stuck_out_tongue: