Pot size and yields

Thats my goal, only getting half that at present😕

2 Likes

I think and hope we will find out

1 Like

How many gallons in a backyard?

3 Likes

I’ve seen some massive blue dream plants,depends who you get the seeds from as well,one of my favorite strains funny I’ve never Grown it

Here’s a Skywalker OG in a 3 gallon pot lol it was a shitty auto it’s 12 weeks old in that pic,

This is what I’m saying about getting good seeds

4 Likes

ive ran into a few of those ruderalis runts. Idk how you didnt yank it yet :slight_smile:

I am moving in a new direction growing. I was using 1 to 3 gals full of coco with autowatering (blumats). It works great but I’m now trying soil again and not autowatering. I’m going to use 7 gals to finish in. My reasoning is the plants will be less dependent on me for NPK, and that much soil should have enough trace minerals for a whole run.

$11 for 6.25 gallons of premium potting soil. I know thats not cheap relatively to what can be done, but its cheap as dirt compared to my historic weed budget :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I could not agree more.

My Meph Strawberry Stomper, day 54 from sprout.

4 Likes

I like to see what’s up with a plant lol that’s the 5th one of this strain to be like this,that was the last of the seeds,won’t be using that seed bank again,I’ve had autos out grow my tent and I’ve had autos like this,
One of the reasons I’m going back to photo plants after almost 2 years of just growing autos,it’s had its ups and downs,

I’ll still grow one or two plants while my photo plants
Are
Getting ready lol…

1 Like

rule of thumb for pot sizing is 1 gal per 1 month of growth.

30 gal would be over 2 years of growth.

just a heads up.

2 Likes

That’s interesting who makes up these rule of thumbs,I’ve never went any bigger than 3 gallon pots

1 Like

Has to do with outdoor growth, most of the time people don’t go over 5 gal sizes indoors.

a 30 gal plant would easily take up an entire room in a 4-5 month veg. (light depending)

Roots arnt the limiting factor in most grows, the limiting factor comes in with light, temp, humidity, nutes and co2. Those have more play in a plant than pot size alone.

2 Likes

That’s good to know,any huge plants I’ve seen were just straight in the ground,always wondered how the big growers do it

Was reading about how many illegal pot farms have popped up in the desert lately

Have to see can I find the article

1 Like

REALLY!? No greenhouse or anything??? That would be nuts.

One of the things I never understood about cannabis growth when it comes to temp and humidity, this plant grows everywhere in different quantities and yields, and it grows well.

Why does temp NEED to be a certain amount for perfect growth, same with humidity (I understand mold growth)

Temp/humidity directly effects the plant (vapor pressure deficit and difference,stomatal conductance etc) I vaguely remember hearing that there’s a difference between vapour pressure deficit vs difference but I can’t remember :stuck_out_tongue: I think it might have been on one of those plant empowerment videos.

As far as pot size and yield as far as I have seen (in soilless) there isn’t really a direct correlation between pot size and yield. There are so many variables going on but I have seen absolute monsters in 1.5gal pots. I think if you’re able to keep up with the irrigation needs of the plant then you can grow them in much smaller pots than you would imagine and yield huge. I’ve had a 6ft+ tall plant in a solo cup before but ended up killing it because watering that often by hand got to be a pain in the ass. At a certain point auto irrigation is almost necessary. I have no experience with actual soil though.

A lot of the much more experienced growers I have been learning things from are using crop steering techniques originally developed for other crops to either grow more leaves and stems or more buds depending on time in the life cycle. As far as flowering goes they are saying more drydowns are beneficial and having much smaller pots can help a lot with that. They are using moisture sensors though. I’ll be trying much smaller pots this round in the hopes that they dry out more often (5 gal in previous to 1.5gal final pot)

3 Likes

I would think that the yield will be all up to you. You can train and top the plant multiple times. Honestly I don’t know what I yielded on my last grow. I used 5 gallon fabric pots and a 4x4 tent and got this but I never weighted it.

16 Likes

3 Likes
2 Likes

ah yes a greenhouse, damn thing must be hot in a greenhouse in the desert.

1 Like

Pot size isn’t everything, veg time and genetics play a huge roll :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I was going to link/post an extreme example of a 4ft plant of solid buds coming out of a 5” container, but it’s posted in the private section and I don’t want to be posting someone else pic they wanted private.

3 Likes

Agree, veg time and your tent’s height ejem|nullxnull, after watching the solo cup contest I think anything bigger than 20 gal is a waste of soil … beer3|nullxnull

1 Like