Potentially new method for making clones?

I’ve seen and tried all the methods we all know and love. Bubble and misting cloners, rockwool cubes, soil and even just a glass of water. I have NEVER seen someone use the “intermittent misting sandbed” for cannabis propagation though.

What is an Intermittent Misting Sandbed? Pretty much just as described. Mine is 2 beds, 3ft wide x 8ft long, with 6-8" of coarse sand in them. The Intermittent Mist is done with a cyclical timer with an operating window. Essentially this timer is programmed to open a 24v irrigation valve for 10 seconds, every 10 minutes, from sunrise to sunset. That feeds 1/2" poly line which then feeds 1/4" poly line to the mister heads. There are 4 mister heads per 8ft bed (1 for every 2ft works well with my misters). The beds are located where they get about 4-5 hours of late day sun, and its dappled shade early in the day.

And before you worry about the excessive water usage, its really not! I calculated 12 gallons a day using 24 misters, so each bed is like 2 gallons a day. thats an 8x3 bed!!! Most of us flush more down the toilet!

How does it work? Simple. Take a spackle knife, and make a slit in the moist sand. Go to your plant, take a 6-8" cutting, shove it in the slit and pack the sand down around it. Then walk away for 2-3 weeks (some stuff like coleus will root in a week, some more woody things like ninebark or purple sand cherry take 2-3 weeks, there’s literally over 100 landscape plants that can be propagated this way). I have NEVER used any rooting hormones or done anything special to the cuttings other than making the cut a 45 degree angle, and clearing any foliage from the stem going beneath the sand. I don’t even worry about razor vs the “crush” of scissors, and have even pinched cuttings with my fingernails, or stuck broken branches in without cleaning up the break. Stuff just roots. 90% of my front yard landscaping was done with this method (weigelia, ninebark, butterfly bushes, purple sand cherry, montauk daisy, russian sage, boxwood and pyrcantha to name a few).

So… To make a long story short. I am prepping my house for sale later this summer. So I won’t be here in the fall :frowning: Good, and bad, but a new beginning is always more good than bad. BUT that means I will likely give up having property right next to woods, and I am DEFINITELY downsizing the yard and landscaping. Not sure I’ll have a mist bed at the new place, so I figured I would try this out before putting my place on the market, despite not being able to grow them out.

So. I had a few mother plants kicking around that were getting lanky. Since I have been shutting down my inside stuff as it finishes, I tossed them outside for shits and giggles. PLENTY of potential cuttings on them, so I said screw it! Lets experiment! (I likely won’t see those moms finish either, but will let my one neighbor know where they are so he can pull em in the fall). Took a dozen nice 6-8" cuttings, stripped the bottom 3-4" of leaves and shoved em in the sand yesterday.

Lets see how this method works… Knowing how fast coleus root in a mister, and in these beds, I am betting cannabis roots just as quickly / easily…

18 Likes

We need to see pictures…

10 Likes

Sounds very interesting :+1:

3 Likes

Sounds cool for large scale propagation for sure. Would like to see some pictures!

2 Likes

Galcon timer

The test subjects.

Blueberry, White Widow, Alaskan Purple and Pineapple Express II. Which is which? LOL didn’t bother to notice as I wasn’t planning to run them to term.

There’s another sandbed to the right of you when looking at the pictured bed. In past years these would be filled with coleus right about now. Buy one “four pack” planter and make a ton of cuttings, then make more. Why spend $500 on annual plants when you can spend $12 and make your own? Also figured out that coleus, usually a shade loving plant, can THRIVE in full sun, if its misted on the same schedule (ran a 1/4" line with a mist head to a full sun area and put some coleus I potted up there. WOW did they grow!) Same plant, full sun, no mist and they hated life.

11 Likes

Its definitely an outdoors / drain to ground type of thing, but doesn’t have to be large scale. You could make a 2x2 box, put 2 bags of play sand in it and a single mister and still make a TON of cuttings. And a single mister uses like 1/2 gal of water per day. And remember, you can make ornamental cuttings too, which was the main reason I built my mist beds. Saved me lots of $$ propagating from one larger plant vs buying 100 small plants to do my yards annual plantings…

If I did a smaller one and added a heating pad beneath it you can actually do some evergreen cuttings as well. They like some bottom heat. But there are so many ornamental plants that propagate easily this way I didnt see the need to go that extra step…

3 Likes

Yah thats super cool! We have just been doing cup of water type thing for the house plants :sweat_smile:

Thanks for scaling it down. This will go on my list of experiments to try!

3 Likes

The hardest thing to find / biggest cost in that project is the timer. A little easier to find it these days as its been cloned by a few chinese companies, but they ALL look the same. A search for Galcon Cyclical Timer should yield some results. Galcon is the original, and what I have (can control 6 zones actually). Any 24v landscape irrigation valve works. then a pressure reducer and decent misting head, watch a youtube video to learn how to program the cyclical timer and then set and forget for a few weeks. Literally… I wont need to even look at those cuttings for another week or two.

3 Likes

Sensational mate, I have a friend over here that has a heated sand propagation bed just like you, he uses it for all sorts of plants like yourself, mainly natives and peppers. I believe he set his up inside a poly tunnel & he swears buy it.
I’d love to see your setup mate :+1: sounds great!

2 Likes

Its pictured above! Nothing fancy, the timer is mounted to the side of the shed thats behind the bed, and covered with a 2 gallon bucket. The landscaping block I got for cheap, and its just 8+ inches of sand

You can see my green 24v valve in the “overall” pic. Its top right. near a green hose.

Other than that, I need to do some weeding back there, but its just poly line and quality mist heads. And lots of sand for me. LOL.

I do plan to take the timer with me when I move, but not sure I will go as nuts with the landscaping this time. This system works a treat, never tried doing peppers before… Hmmm… Wonder if they need the bottom heat (I know they like bottom heat for sprouting!).

3 Likes

Sorry man I missed the photo somehow :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Looks great :+1:
Those timers sound great, pricey but obviously worth it in the long run.
Yeah man he takes a ton of cuttings of peppers & Yeah I think the heat definitely helps. Peppers aren’t as easy to strike but he swears by it.
I always just grow from seed so I don’t have experience with pepper cuttings but I’d be interested to hear how you do!:v:

2 Likes

I saw something similar just using coco. Trying it out for first time now

We used coarse perlite instead of sand in our mister beds. We rooted croton cuttings to use on the grounds of the Edison/Ford Estates.

3 Likes

Very cool! I’m mystified by the fact that the cuts don’t need a dome over them. Is the RH fairly high where you live?
Thanks for sharing this.

This is an old technique outlined in many a grow journal,
studied by universities, and used primarily in 3rd world countries. If I recall correctly, a USDA Agricultural handbook outlined multiple rooting medias including sand suggested against using sand unless good soil is not present as it makes for fragile roots.

1 Like

RH varies, right now its 63% ambient. But with a 10second mist every 10 minutes, the cuts don’t even get close to drying out…

Interesting… I’ve successfully made a few thousand plants easily with these beds, never had an issue with roots being fragile. Heck, pyrcantha can root REALLY well in the stuff… Using the mist with actual good soil would surely make mud at the rate its misted. Never saw it in the Canna world yet, only ornamental landscape plants…

1 Like

Its all good, the scientifically based USDA test results may have incorrectly concluded that an excess of silicon and abrasive edges within the sand results in rigid root growth :joy: I have a few cannabis grow books that suggest using sand for rooting too so using sand is definitely a valid media for propagation of cannabis cuttings.

Nice one @Nagel420
This is a very, very good technique!
May be the best way to clone outdoors.

I like sand too
The sand makes it easier to pull plants out without root damage, at least those are my findings.
But…

In sand under a mister, or in an easy cloner type method, the plant forms what are sometimes referred to as water roots and those roots can be prone to breaking easily.
So I have to agree with @herojuana.tom.
But is it a deal breaker, not in the least, again those are my personal findings.

I love this method!
In fact I have rooted several trees indoors with this method, trees that simply would not root in a spray cloner or cubes or other known methods.
I just used something the size of a shoe box, I did not need anything bigger.

This method works best for hardwood cuttings but will work well for cannabis, which is a softwood cuttings.

My go-to guy when it comes to this tech is Big Mike.
I learned a ton from this guy and he has a ton of videos out too.
Now I just checked and he has lost weight so maybe it is just mike now. :clown_face:

Anyway here is a couple of links to ol’ mikes garden.

4 Likes

yup. Mike Mcgroarty. I actually paid for his propagation course. between plans for the Mister, and lists of plants you can propagate, well worth it at the time. not a lot was out there in an easy to search format yet and he put it together nice and simply… his videos are good too…

3 Likes

Cool! :heart_eyes:
I will assume you have this tech well under control then…LOL

To other OG members…
If you have not tried this method, give 'er a shot!

@Nagel420 thanks for bringing this to light, I may have to brush up on my skills again and start working on some outside stuff. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like