Powdery mildew - An easily exterminated parasite

You can see, even though the mildew is rampant among the weeds, the pumpkins and zucchini as well as the calla lilies are mildew free. I’ll take a lily photo later, but you can tell they appreciate being mildew-free.

5 Likes

Wow! I had read someone else’s summary of this thread and I was extremely impressed! Every time someone learns this information, uses it, and then tells someone else, a powdery mildew colony dies. Probably two. mmmm love me some good mildew murder. But seriously, this information needs to spread kind of like the parasite it was designed to defeat. I can tell you with confidence now, the ideas presented here won’t be poo poohed by any modern agriculture Phd. The future is definitely unfolding before your eyes, and it’s just based on observation.

4 Likes

Alright! So here’s the score. Me 1, Mildew 0. Even though the plants were moved around in the middle of the protocol, it still got rid of the mildew.

2 Likes

Some really fascinating observations! The clover mildew, isn’t the same as the squash mildew.

This is clover mildew in the greenhouse. The observation that really counts here is the mildew has no problem going from outdoors into the greenhouse. Probably works just as good when exiting the greenhouse and entering the environment. Thus, the greenhouse won’t “contain” the spread if there are available hosts just outside.

So, with the active eradication, I only sprayed the plants. Do you think the colony up there on the fence is viable still? I mean this is the crazy part my brain keeps talking about. Fascinating! I should try and go out there at night with the mildew detection tools.

2 Likes

Here’s another really strange one. This is the patch I’ve been fucking with to gather observations! Last year it was completely mildew infested. This year I used the protocol on an area to see what happened.

No visible mildew by the one stick.

Mildew infestation at the edge of the path.

3 Likes

Now, why hasn’t the mildew spread to the treated area? I’m hatching a strange idea. Like… my brain says to try something radical like increase the sulfur content of the ground, and see what happens. Instead of spraying the plants.
See… I’ve read the mass spec studies and I know that the plant uses elemental sulfur to fight the mildew. You think I could jack the plant? Y’know? I’m definitely not saying it’ll work, but if it does. I’ll crap my pants and just keep crapping until I die. Take that brain and your crazy idea.

3 Likes

Oh! I wonder if this is the key to the replicating colony problem. The mycelium is on the underside of the leaf, making it difficult to spray.

1 Like

Oh wow! My brain tells me I can answer a couple questions with this observation. ooo clever little bastard. Can my brain critically prove the last idea wrong?

Alright I’m rubbing the clover mildew on the cucumbers. We’ll see what happens! I will laugh if it starts to replicate! I don’t think that’s the source, honestly, but, we’ll see what REALLY happens! Observation Trumps Hypothesis.

I can tell this mildew isn’t like the squash mildew. Pods are far too large!

1 Like

I’ll compare the squash mildew to the clover one. That’ll be enlightening!

1 Like

oh! Shit! We actually have a candidate! I can’t wait to see the results of the observation on what I just did!
Edit: I forgot the measurements on the image, but that clover had 34 micron pods, just like the squash!

1 Like

If that hatches and spreads! Oh I’ll be so happy!!! IT would be an amazing observation about the type of mildew on the clover.

1 Like

Be interesting to see if it does anything to weed :rofl:

1 Like

heh heh I already know the mildew infesting squash and pumpkins won’t infest weed. So this test will answer that question indirectly. Wouldn’t hurt to try it though!

2 Likes

There, I rubbed clover on the cannabis and cucumber! We’ll see what happens.

2 Likes

That’s what I’ve been talkin’ about :rofl: Something we can all sink our teeth into!

2 Likes

The pumpkin mildew is a nice analog to study, since it’s so close to the cannabis mildew in morphology. Not the same species, of course. Based on a thousand observations!

2 Likes

I sprayed some plants and my sprayer dripped a bunch in the pot. I’m not sure of the reason, but the plants that happened to were sick until harvest. (Yes, I have sprayed sulfur in flower. I wash the plants in cold soapy dishwater and don’t taste any bad smells.)

3 Likes

Sulfur can radically alter the ph of the soil. Also shifts the microbial population. I was thinking of small doses that don’t alter the ph. Oh and 99.9% sulfur as well, sometimes if you get sulfur that’s low grade it can have other things in it the plant doesn’t love.

2 Likes

Awwwwwwwwwww yah! My brain came back online and told me things. So it says that in order to study the spread of the parasite you need to first have an area that has been sterilized from mildew.
Once you have a space marked out, do a study on the following:

• No host gap of half a meter.
  • Half a meter gap with hosts in between.

Can the mildew cross the gap, and if so, how fast can it move? Without assistance, of course.
My noggin also says later on we can play with “if the speed of the different colonies differ some how”. Can one spread faster than the other?

2 Likes